• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How the heck do you use the Chase rules in the DMG?

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm having trouble figuring out how the chase rules are meant to be used.

Does anyone have a simple flowchart?

I'm especially confused how ending the chase is supposed to work. When exactly does the quarry get to make a Stealth check? Every round during the chase? And this just means the pursuer can't detect the quarry? But that doesn't necessarily END the chase (because the pursuer can search for them)?

I know I can make up my own rules, but I want to understand the DMG's intended rules first.

DMG pg.253 said:
ENDING A CHASE
A chase ends when one side or the other tops, when the quarry escapes, or when the pursuer are close enough
to their quarry to catch it.

If neither side gives up the chase, the quarry makes a Dexterity (Stealth) check at the end of each round, after every participant in the chase has taken its turn. The result is compared to the passive Wisdom (Perception) scores of the pursuers. If the quarry consists of multiple creatures, they all make the check.

If the quarry is never out of the lead pursuer's sight, the check fails automatically. Otherwise, if the result of the quarry's check is greater than the highest passive score, that quarry escapes. If not, the chase continues for another round.

The quarry gains advantage or disadvantage on its check based on prevailing circumstances, as shown in the Escape Factors table. If one or more factors give the quarry both advantage and disadvantage on its check, the quarry has neither, as usual.

Other factors might help or hinder the quarry's ability to escape, at your discretion. For example, a quarry with a faerie fire spell cast on it might have disadvantage on checks made to escape because it's much easier to spot.

Escape doesn't necessarily mean the quarry has outpaced its pursuers. For example, in an urban setting, escape might mean the quarry ducked into a crowd or slipped around a corner, leaving no clue as to where it went.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
In the one proper chase I've run, I treated the DMG rules as a rough guide only. In my chase (big demon chasing the party), I made a quick custom table of 8 obstacles, then if the PCs overcame the obstacle, they gained 3d10 feet on the demon. If obstacle was failed, the demon gained 3d20 feet. The party and demon started 100' apart.

Once a PC got a 200' lead, or after 10 rounds of running, they could make stealth checks each round to escape (hiding in an abandoned town). One PC bungled most of the obstacles, got caught by the demon and it killed him (making regular attacks). The other PCs escaped.

Last edited:

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I'm especially confused how ending the chase is supposed to work. When exactly does the quarry get to make a Stealth check? Every round during the chase? And this just means the pursuer can't detect the quarry? But that doesn't necessarily END the chase (because the pursuer can search for them)?
I've never run a chase this way, so take this with a grain of salt, but here's how I read it and would run it:

The quarry can make a stealth check every round to try to hide. If it is successful, the chase ends. The pursuers may attempt to search for the quarry, with appropriate modifiers based on circumstances. If they succeed, a new chase may begin.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I reviewed these rules when I was making a scenario that included capturing the Ceryneian hind (from Hercules' twelve labors). This is what I came up with:

1. Initiative.
2. Determine starting distance between quarry and pursuers.
3. One action and one move in initiative order, then roll 1d20 for Complication (1-10 complicates, spend Inspiration to negate).
4. Make note of distances. Determine lead pursuer.
5. Quarry makes Dexterity (Stealth) check vs. passive Wisdom (Perception) of pursuers at end of round, if not caught and if reasonably out of pursuers' sight during chase. If successful, chase is over. If failed, go to 3.

Dash up to 3 + Con mod times during the chase. DC 10 Constitution check after that or take a level of exhaustion. Short or long rest to remove.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
They can attempt to hide each round, but if the pursuer can see them, then they automatically fail their stealth check because they can be seen.

If they do hide the enemy can search for them, but that is not what a chase is so the chase is over. If found a new chase may begin or not depending on circumstances.

Tony Vargas

Legend
When exactly does the quarry get to make a Stealth check? Every round during the chase?
That's what it looks like, at the bottom of the round, too, it seem.

And this just means the pursuer can't detect the quarry? But that doesn't necessarily END the chase (because the pursuer can search for them)?
It ends the chase, because the pursuers don't know where to go to continue it. Searching or tracking might work, but presumably, would use different mechanics. Or you could assume that the pursuers just don't know where to search for the quarry or their tracks.

Also, the DEX check could represent hiding, especially if the quarry is slower than the pursuer, but it could also represent pulling ahead far enough that the pursuer loses sight of faster quarry and cannot tell where they went.

The text you quoted doesn't specify a group check, so if 'the quarry' is a number of individuals you have some options. You could make it a group check - they stick together, help eachother, and either all escape or all get caught. Or, you could let them 'scatter' - any that succeed escape while the remainder are still pursued. Or, if they stick together, you could require all of them to succeed in order for any to escape.

discosoc

First Post
Another problem I had with chasing was that it's impossible to outrun someone with an equal movement speed. If you dash, then they dash. No OA's happen, and no chance to try and tackle or anything.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Another problem I had with chasing was that it's impossible to outrun someone with an equal movement speed. If you dash, then they dash. No OA's happen, and no chance to try and tackle or anything.

Many of the Complications cost movement which allows pursuers to catch up or the quarry to get ahead. Dashing also comes at a risk of exhaustion which reduces movement by half at the second level of the condition.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
They can attempt to hide each round, but if the pursuer can see them, then they automatically fail their stealth check because they can be seen.
I think this should be more case-by-case. The quarry could duck into a building with lots of doors, or lose themselves in a crowd, even if they can be seen.

pukunui

Legend
I tried the DMG chase rules once and wasn't particularly satisfied with them. I like the alternate chase rules used in the AL adventure "Cloaks and Shadows" better. I'm on my phone right now, but I can post more details later.

Remove ads