• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How the heck do you use the Chase rules in the DMG?

Zorku

First Post
The various explanations of stealth are not quite worded well enough so some clarification is in order: you're no longer hiding from a creature if it can see you clearly. Having some cover is sufficient to remain hidden, so that example of blending into a crowd is totally appropriate with RAI.

You've got to have full cover (or suitable distraction by DM fiat,) in order to attempt to hide from a creature in the first place, so beating their passive perception is more about them having a good idea of what you did as soon as you broke line of sight. In the case of a chase I expect they would continue running until they rounded whatever corner or passed through some curtain-like piece of scenery that obscured you. If you're still appropriately hidden from them at that point their either assume you rounded some other corner and plow forward until you're able to sneak off in some other direction, or they slow down and try to figure out which way you went with active searching. If you're simply in the only barrel that exists then they probably grab you, but with some distance between you and them you'd have time to stop going where they expect you to be and maybe get yourself a whole path where you've got the cover to keep moving while they sit there taking the lids off of barrels, or trying to find a footprint or other hint at where the hell you just went. That barely matters though- so long as they aren't running at you to try and close the distance, you're gaining enough ground that it's safe to say you weren't caught during this chase.

If they were the only creature after you then things are pretty much over until fate conspires to introduce you to them again. If it's more like the entire town guard is after your neck them maybe you need to cover some more ground before you can relax.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Another problem I had with chasing was that it's impossible to outrun someone with an equal movement speed. If you dash, then they dash. No OA's happen, and no chance to try and tackle or anything.

Yep you cant use standard moves for chasing, it's too predictable. I suggest rolling for random gain/loss distances (I like 3d10), worked well for me.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I tried the DMG chase rules once and wasn't particularly satisfied with them. I like the alternate chase rules used in the AL adventure "Cloaks and Shadows" better. I'm on my phone right now, but I can post more details later.

Yes please post! That is annoying that there are optional rules in AL which many dont have access to. Boo.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
There is, of course, also an article with optional chase rules in en5ider. I used a modified version of those for the one detailed chase I have run (a catch-the-greased-pig event at a festival).

pukunui

Legend
Yes please post! That is annoying that there are optional rules in AL which many dont have access to. Boo.
The rules are a variation on the ones in the DMG. While I've only used them once, I think they worked a bit better than the ones in the DMG. They're a bit simpler, but they still make use of the chase complications table, which is fun.

I adapted the rules for a chase sequence involving a golden ram in a previous campaign. Here's how it worked:

CHASING THE RAM!
The ram uses the hilly terrain to its advantage, bounding up steep slopes and leaping over streams and chasms. Strictly adhering to the movement rules won't make for a fun chase. Instead, use the following guidelines to manage the action:
  • Track the distances between the ram and each pursuer in five steps: adjacent, close, medium, far, and extreme.
  • Each participant in the chase makes a DC 10 Con or Str (Athletics) check at the end of its turn to stay in the chase.
  • On a failure, a pursuer moves backwards one step, dropping out of the chase altogether if they fall beyond extreme range. If the ram fails its check, all pursuers move one step closer.
  • On a success of 15 or higher, a pursuer moves one step closer. If the ram scores 15 or higher, all pursuers fall back one step.
  • All participants can take an action on their turn to attack or cast a spell, but doing so counts as an automatic failure on their Str check.
  • Each participant in the chase rolls on the chase complications table at the end of their turn. Complications affect the next participant in the initiative order, not the participant who rolled. Either participant may spend inspiration to negate the result.
IIRC, the players struggled a bit with the abstract distance categories, so I ruled that if you wanted to make a melee attack, you had to be in the same zone as the quarry, whereas if you wanted to make a ranged attack (and this included spells), you had to be in the same zone or an adjacent zone.

And here's the modified chase complications table.
WILDERNESS CHASE COMPLICATIONS
1d20 Complication
  1. Your path takes you into a rough patch of brush. Make a DC 10 Str (Athletics) or Dex (Acrobatics) check to get through the brush. On a failed check, you have disadvantage on your next roll to keep up.
  2. Uneven ground threatens to slow your progress. Make a DC 10 Dex (Acrobatics) check to navigate the area. On a failed check, you have disadvantage on your next roll to keep up.
  3. You run through a swarm of wasps. The swarm makes an opp attack against you [+3 to hit; 10 (4d4) piercing dmg].
  4. A stream, ravine, or rock bed blocks your path. Make a DC 10 Str (Athletics) or Dex (Acrobatics) check to cross the impediment. On a failed check, drop back one step in the chase.
  5. A sudden gust of wind catches you. Make a DC 10 Con save to move forward one step in the chase. On a failed save, drop back one step.
  6. A sudden drop catches you by surprise. Make a DC 10 Dex save to avoid falling. On a failed save, you fall 1d4 x 5 feet, taking 1d6 bludgeoning dmg per 10 feet fallen as normal, and you drop back one step in the chase.
  7. Lose sight of the quarry! Make a DC 15 Wis (Perception) check. On a failed check, you have disadvantage on your next roll to keep up.
  8. You are caught in a stampede of spooked sheep. Make a DC 10 Dex save to avoid getting knocked about. On a failed save, you take 5 (2d4) bludgeoning dmg and drop back one step in the chase.
  9. Your path takes you near a patch of razorvine. Make a DC 15 Dex save to avoid the razorvine. On a failed save, you take 5 (1d10) slashing dmg.
  10. A hungry wyvern joins the chase! Each time this result is rolled after the first, the wyvern makes an opp attack against an adjacent target with its claws (75%) or its stinger (25%).
11-20 No complication.

Last edited:

discosoc

First Post
Yep you cant use standard moves for chasing, it's too predictable. I suggest rolling for random gain/loss distances (I like 3d10), worked well for me.

My solution at the time (this came up kind of randomly during play, so I wasn't prepared) was to say you can only dash 1+con mod in a row. So if your con was 10, you could do a dash, but not a second one on your next turn. If it was 14, you could do a total of 3 dashes in a row (over the course of 3 turns).

In hindsight, I probably should have tied the restriction to athletics instead (maybe require a DC 15 check each dash after the first), but at the time the con thing was the best I could think of at the spur of the moment.

Quickleaf

Legend
Has anyone handled mounted chases before?

Did you apply exhaustion for excessive Dashing to their mounts or to the PCs?

The mixed effects of exhaustion make it ambiguous whether it's meant to be applied to rider? mount? both?

1 -- disadv. ability checks
2 -- speed halved
3 -- disadv. attacks & saves
4 -- HP max halved
5 -- speed 0, out of chase 

Narratively it seems strange to say “you’re exhausted from several rounds of commanding a horse to gallop, in the same way you’d be exhausted from sprinting across rooftops.”

However, if the exhaustion is applied to the horse then disadv. ability checks, attacks, and saves seem less impactful…and it opens up the option for once the horse hits speed 0 for the player to say “well then I jump off and get running!"

Last edited:

Psikerlord#

Explorer
The rules are a variation on the ones in the DMG. While I've only used them once, I think they worked a bit better than the ones in the DMG. They're a bit simpler, but they still make use of the chase complications table, which is fun.

I adapted the rules for a chase sequence involving a golden ram in a previous campaign. Here's how it worked:

IIRC, the players struggled a bit with the abstract distance categories, so I ruled that if you wanted to make a melee attack, you had to be in the same zone as the quarry, whereas if you wanted to make a ranged attack (and this included spells), you had to be in the same zone or an adjacent zone.

And here's the modified chase complications table.

Yeah I like this better - using zones and then moving closer or further away based on complications and checks. Reminds me of the shadowrun vehicle chase rules.

I'm having trouble figuring out how the chase rules are meant to be used.

Does anyone have a simple flowchart?

I'm especially confused how ending the chase is supposed to work. When exactly does the quarry get to make a Stealth check? Every round during the chase? And this just means the pursuer can't detect the quarry? But that doesn't necessarily END the chase (because the pursuer can search for them)?

I know I can make up my own rules, but I want to understand the DMG's intended rules first.

I've only used the Chase rules once, and all I did was grab the DMG and roll a couple of times on the chart as needed. My takeaway is that the timespans are all wrong--too much happens every six seconds. If a chase came up again, I would run it as follows:

1.) If one party is faster than the other, don't roll. The faster party wins unless something really crazy happens. Exception: if the whole chase is taking place in difficult terrain (e.g. crowded streets), do roll.

2.) Roll once per round in a dense urban environment, once per minute in any other urban environment or dense wilderness, and once every five minutes in sparse wilderness.

3.) Pursuer makes a morale check (Wisdom save by default, unless you've given the enemy a specific Morale stat; DC 15 for someone who stole your wallet, DC 20 for someone who stole someone else's wallet, DC 5 for someone who stole your life savings or physically assaulted a loved one) every five minutes to continue the chase. PCs can choose to auto-pass or auto-fail if they want.

Remove ads