D&D 5E How to convince better half

Ringtail

World Traveller
I don't think you can convince someone to play D&D if they don't want to. Better not force it.

If you just play with the Kids, I imagine she'll come to watch for a little bit. That might catch her interest, or if the kids like it their excitement might convince her. But in my experience, badgering someone - no matter who it is - does the opposite of making someone want to play.

It will only work if she fits in with the group of friends. If she does and she enjoys hanging out with the group outside of the game, then it should be easy enough to let her join a session - perhaps at first as a guest.

Dausuul

Legend
I'd say, just play D&D with your kids. One of two things will happen:
  • Your wife will be curious, sit in on a game or two, and get involved of her own accord.
  • Your wife will seize the opportunity to have a few hours to herself, and you'll get a bunch of Dad Points and Husband Points*.
Either way, it works out well for all concerned.

*Or Mom Points and Wife Points, depending on your own gender.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hi all - for some of the old-school gamers here, do you have any tips for enticing your better half to the D&D side?

Broadly - provide opportunity, keep the barriers to entry low. Allow her to engage and make up her own mind about whether she likes it.

I gamed back in the day and this quarantine has sprung the itch again, however, having a young family presents a few challenges as well as opportunities. My kids are intrigued, being 7 and 9 and full of wonder

Well, there are games geared to kids. If you really want to go with D&D... have you looked at the Humblewood setting? There seem to be a lot of themes in there appropriate for kids. Then, it becomes a family thing for her to engage in, but that she doesn't have to manage, which may be a selling point.

ccooke

Adventurer
Play games. Make sure she knows she's welcome to join, but doesn't have to.
Don't make it an obligation in any form, just something she could choose to do.

Most importantly, if she's never interested - accept it.

I don't have a partner, so I can't speak from experience, but my suggestion: show how awesome being a nerd is lol. Maybe show them some Critical Role, talk to them about roleplaying, talk about the setting(s) of D&D.

Shiroiken

Legend
It really depends on how long you've been together. Since you have kids that are interested in playing, you've probably been together for quite some time. If she hasn't shown interest in all these years, she's probably not going to be interested now. She might be interested once she sees the kids playing (and probably talking about it afterwards), but let her come to you. Otherwise she's probably not going to give it a fair chance.

I do have a bit of advice if she does join, and probably with your kids too. State up front that the dice are neutral and the final arbiter of events when rolls happen. I've seen quite a few relationships go bad because someone was either pampered or felt picked on. If a character might die or suffer some really bad consequences, she/they need to know it's the dice, not you. Especially if it's the result of their bad decisions!

aco175

Legend
I had my wife watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and that killed any chance. My son got all into it and my daughter came over to watch some a few months ago, but never wanted to join.

If my family was a baseball team, I would batting 330, but as of now, we are just almost a Meatloaf song.

Remove ads