• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how to convince people that D&D is not evil

Mitchbones

First Post
bento said:
Dude,

You live in Kansas, one of the most religiously conservative states in the nation. If you do don't go to church all day Sunday and Wednesday nights you'll be labelled a satanist! :confused:

Seriously, sometimes you can't convince people. Take my mother-in-law, please. She had a former student who robbed and killed a couple back in the late 1980s. He played D&D, so this came up as one of the mittigating factors to the jury. He's still rotting in prison and there's no convincing her that D&D is nothing but a quick road to ruin.

I love her dearly, but its just a conversation that neither of us will have because we're both polite people. I know how she feels because I've heard it second hand from my wife.

How many people play D&D? I would say around 1million+...and one person killed someone, who coincedently plays the game...nuff said. Thats like saying that a serial killer eats sandwiches, then we shouldnt!

Edit: My friend actually wanted me to convince his mother that D&D wasnt evil one time.
(this is where my sandwich ex. came from)
Did you hear that serial killer thats out on the lose eats sandwiches and drinks Dr pepper? You should keep bobby away from them....they are really bad news
I dont think she likes me -_-

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
I would direct them to this web site in general

http://www.theescapist.com

and this article in particular.

http://www.theescapist.com/random.htm

However in my experience, for most people who believe that D&D is Evil, it's a matter of faith and not of evidence. So no argument based on reason is going to convince them, because it's not a belief that was reached based on judging facts and evidence. Also for most of these people Satan and spells are real. D&D comes out of a secular/mechanical point of view which looks at that sort of thing as being no more real than movies or TV shows. So there's a basic disconnect in the views of what reality is.

tombshroud

Explorer
Let me first say that I grew up and still live in a VERY consertative town. When I was in high school I did not keep the fact that I was a Dnd player secret. The high school had a group called FCA - Fellowship of Christen Athletes, although you did not have to be an athlete to join. They repeatedly left death threats in my locker telling me to "turn from my dark path" and letting any of the administration know about the death threats was pointless because their kids were in FCA and most of them attended the meetings also - they said the members were only concerned with "my immortal soul" and I should listen to them.

I used to be an assistant coach on my neighbor's little league baseball team - the man trusted me to coach his kid and to tutor his kid in math and english (he brought his grades from a D to an A in one summer) That being said - one night when he was over I had a Dnd session at my house. When he found out about it he sent his kid over the next day to see if I had murdered my parents because he heard that's what Dnd players do. The next day I was no longer coaching the team because they had too many other coaches they didn't need me.

This rant has a purpose - some people you can not change. They have formed their opinions long ago and refuse to change them. Don't let them discourage you.

Just explain Dnd as you have here in this thread and let them do with that as they will. The hammer analogy is rather insightful - if that can not explain your view to someone then chances are nothing will.

Corvidae

First Post
Just so you know, I am one of those religious conservatives in kansas, I just think that there are things that are objectively evil, and things that are not.

In my opinion, D&D can teach you about yourself, so it is useful

John

tombshroud

Explorer
Corvidae said:
Just so you know, I am one of those religious conservatives in kansas, I just think that there are things that are objectively evil, and things that are not.

In my opinion, D&D can teach you about yourself, so it is useful

John

I apologize - I did not mean to accuse all religious conservatives of behaving that way. I'm sorry if you felt like I was. I was trying to show that some people will not change their opinions. I happen to know a number of religious conservatives who are very reasonable and who happen to understand that Dnd is not evil - I have even managed to convince some of them to join my gaming group and they enjoyed themselves immensely.

Again - apologies if you felt I was making accusations.

Corvidae

First Post
sorry tombshroud, it was much more directed at bento, not you

It seems alot of people see conservatives as brainless, so I am used to it.
I hope this might "open peoples minds" :)

Also, look at my sig, both quotes are from extremely religious and conservative (imho) men.
I didn't realize my sig might be used as part of the arguement.

John

bento

Explorer
Mitchbones said:
How many people play D&D? I would say around 1million+...and one person killed someone, who coincedently plays the game...nuff said. Thats like saying that a serial killer eats sandwiches, then we shouldnt!

You know that, and I know that. There's just no convincing some people.

If you live in a city where you can calmly and rationally sway total strangers that you're views are valid and have merit, tell me where you live because I need to move there! :D

freebfrost

Explorer
Corvidae said:
OK, Here is the deal,
I don't want this thread to break down on religious views, but how do you convince people that D&D is not evil.
Same way you try to convince anyone about anything - explain why you feel the way you do, back it up with facts, and let them argue their side.

It's no different from trying to explain your conservative religious beliefs. How do you explain those?

To wit:
In my mind the Koran/Bible/Tao Te Ching is a tool, it can be used for anything. The Bible/Koran/Tao Te Ching can spell out the world in black and white terms, making it easier to make moral judgements when faced with shades of gray. It can also be used to spread fellowship and creativity. It can also be used (if someone really wanted to) as a gateway to try and use "real" magic. All of these are dependent on how you use it.

Use the same arguments you would to explain your faith, and you'll be fine.

tombshroud

Explorer
No problem Corvidae!

If it at all helps I did have a teacher in high school tell my parents that she thought Dnd was the one of the reasons I had a very wide vocabulary. Some people call roleplaying games "mental and creative excercises". I tend to agree - the only way to get me to number crunch not involving a check book is to put a "+ X bonus" in front of it.

Remove ads