how to convince people that D&D is not evil

When I was first getting interested in D&D, when I was about 12, I remember buying a Basic D&D box set. I thought it was neato, but my father, based strictly on some half-remembered sermons from years before, "knew" that D&D was some satanic plot that makes kids commit suicide (or something like that). I challenged him to flip through it and find where and how it was evil, how was this unlike a video game, or a board game (he didn't mind me playing Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior on the NES, he didn't mind me owning Hero Quest and all the expansions), where the same Fantasy themes came up, but when the name "Dungeons and Dragons" came up, he suddenly thought it was evil.

Growing up in a small town with very provincial attitudes, when I started talking about D&D at recess and seeing if anybody wanted to play, I found myself getting a quick ticket to the Counselor because "your peers have reported that you have been showing suicidal tendencies", just mentioning to some other kids that I was looking at D&D and wondered if anybody wanted to play apparently meant that I was contemplating suicide and devil worship and was trying to recruit others into a cult and mass suicide apparently, because several of my supposed friends went and told the teachers that.

I even remember hearing their "proof" that D&D was "satanic", that they made official "satanic idols" to worship with the D&D name on them. I couldn't believe that, it seemed utter hogwash, and wanted proof and pictures. They showed me, and I ended up laughing at their face, their "satanic idol" was a miniature of a red dragon, which they were sure was a devil and it's use was to be worshipped. When I tried to explain otherwise, I lost a few more supposed friends, who didn't want to hang out with a "satanist".

I had to wait until I went to college to really be a gamer because of all that.

One thing I use as a rebuttal nowadays is to point out that D&D is made by Hasbro, a huge corporation that is publically traded and watched very closely by the government. That convinces some people it's on the up and up, but some people just then think that Hasbro is part of some giant satanic conspiracy.

The arguments some people make that it is "evil" are so broad that almost anything could be evil. They make a religious argument that to fantasize or contemplate an action is as bad as actually doing it, so pretending to cast a spell or attack somebody with a sword is no different than actually casting black magic. I like to point out that Monopoly must be evil since you pretend to drive people into bankruptcy and poverty.

A lot of the "evidence" is anecdotal, the "I knew this kid who killed himself, and he played D&D", never mind the many serious warning signs of suicide or mental illness.

The "D&D is evil" thing was just the new pop culture thing that was "in" to call evil in the Early '80's. Before that it was Swing Dancing, Jazz Music, and Rock Music, and then came D&D, He-Man, and Smurfs, all of which were called satanic. Video games, then Harry Potter were the new things to call "Evil". Most of these things became quite mainstream over time, or were short-lived fads that faded away and left mostly memories, but among all these things, D&D persists but never really became mainstream, so it still exists, and many people may hazily remember it being called "satanic", and might still run into it.

As has been said, if you're underage, try reasonably to convince them, do some research and disprove their arguments, but once you're a legal adult, you may just have to do something they won't approve of because some people just can't be convinced.

Amusingly, years later I was able to tell my dad I graduated college thanks to D&D, that learning about probability and odds from dice, doing math adding up characters, and being very good at keeping track of details that D&D teaches was what really helped me get through my math classes. He's apparenly mellowed in the decade or so since he'd originally said no, and found it funny that the game he banned me from playing turned out to be one of the most educational "toys" I ever had growing up.

freebfrost

Explorer
Corvidae said:
if you really want to hear it, my rents had someone in the apartment above them who played using "real" artifacts, and trying to cast "real" spells right when they were married.
You know, I've been playing this game for 26 years, have all the books, read all the spells, and I still cannot even summon a quasit, let alone Orcus or Demogorgon. I must be doing something wrong.

:eek: :p ;)

P.S. If that couple has one of the Orbs of Dragonkind or the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd, have them call me.

P.S.S. Just to be perfectly clear, I am joking around here.

bento

Explorer
Corvidae said:
Just so you know, I am one of those religious conservatives in kansas, I just think that there are things that are objectively evil, and things that are not.

In my opinion, D&D can teach you about yourself, so it is useful

John

Then how do you know that D&D isn't evil?

I think you already know the answer to your original post. Tell people your personal journey as a religious conservative / RPGer and how you can rectify the two activities.

Asking the rest of us, who may not share your values, don't know the people you talk to or live in your community, is a waste of time.

Good luck.

Corvidae

First Post
I am an adult and am happily married to someone who doesnt mind my hobby even if she doesn't understand it. The reason I really asked is because my little brothers are starting to get interested in playing, but are in middle or grade school (depending on which brother) and so may not be able to have reasons for why they want to play or why it is not evil.

I also wanted to see people's experiances with people saying it was evil and how they handled it. I am sure that nearly every role player has heard that D&D is evil so I want to know how they dealt with it.

John

Halivar

First Post
My suggestion? Pull out the books and do a quick demonstration in front of them. Anyone, religious or otherwise, who has a storytelling bone in their body will be drawn to it. That's how we (my roommate and I) built a gaming group from people at our church. Convincing the parents? A little harder.

Corvidae

First Post
Bento,
I was looking for advice, I didn't say you need to explain it for me. I never think it is a waste of time to ask other people's advice. The reason I ask is that some of you do not share my values, just like some of the people who I will talk to do not share my values.

I do not need people who agree with me all the time, or nod their heads when I nod, my shadow does that well enough - Socrates

John

Henry

Autoexreginated
Corvidae said:
I also wanted to see people's experiances with people saying it was evil and how they handled it. I am sure that nearly every role player has heard that D&D is evil so I want to know how they dealt with it.

Strangely enough, not that many newer players have experienced the whole "D&D is evil" business -- and some newer gamers I've exposed to Jack Chick's work were astonished that such anti-D&D ever existed (and still does).

Hopefully the CAR-PGa and the Escapist can give you some good arguments to use, in addition to your own personal experiences.

And Wingandsword -- call me absolutely mind-blown at your experiences. :D Sounds like some material left by Pat Pulling's "Bothered about Dungeons and Dragons" groups.

Halivar

First Post
bento said:
Asking the rest of us, who may not share your values, don't know the people you talk to or live in your community, is a waste of time.

QFT. Convincing biblically-oriented people that D&D isn't wrong requires biblically-oriented answers, and so the OP may be couched to the wrong audience.

There are a number of Christian gaming resources that can help you give compelling arguments for why roleplaying is not evil, and can even be a great boon, especially when working with children in a church setting.

werk

First Post
I'm originally from Indiana, and the area I grew up in may be better or worse than where you are, but I know where you're coming from.

My mom burned my books when I was in high school, no big deal, I'm still playing.

The real problem is that evil is subjective. Some people think alcohol is evil. Some think Spongebob is evil. Some think imagination or concepts are evil (not making this up). So you are trying to justify against an intangible, which I don't think will work out well.

As for loved ones that you don't want to worry about you...good luck.

(surprised this thread isn't closed yet)

Harmon

First Post
Let them figure it out.

Hand them every gaming book that you have and have them read them then ask- “where in those books does it encourage evil acts?”

Consider pointing out the Core Classes- “which one of these says that you must Play the character as Evil? In fact there are more Core Good classes then evil ones are there not?”

Now ask them this- “the monsters in the Monster Manual- how many are Good? How many are evil? Do you think that the evil critters would prefer to team up with good or evil characters? Do you think that good characters would team with evil or good?”

If at the end of this they don’t see that the game of D&D encourages Good aligned characters over evil ones then you are speaking to a narrow minded moron that has already taken the stand that all gamers and RPGs are evil and they will not be swayed in any way to the understanding.

On a personal note- gaming quite literately kept me from evil. My first drunk was at 5, smoking pot a few years later (mostly from contact high), got into gaming by 12, and it really changed my direction as I was already doing weekend bartending for my parents. My father informed me that he wanted me to follow him into a place that my family refers to as- “The Dark Time.” Because I didn’t, because I gamed I led my Father towards recovery, my parents separated because of it, but it was for the better. Mom would never admit her issues, but she had to stop what she was doing because she couldn’t support her habits.

People make issues with gaming being evil because its not understood by those that are the “good” side of society, the same side that seems to be having issues with child molestation, and such right now.

In the last two dozen years I have played maybe a half dozen characters that were evil. I don’t play them consistently because they do not appeal to me, what appeals is saving the innocent from the evils of the world. I want to make a difference, I want to save people, I can’t in real life so I make believe that I can and it has in return saved myself, and my parents.

Remove ads