D&D 5E How to De-Magic 5e

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
I would argue that AIME isn’t low magic at all, in fact, it’s high magic. It’s just that magic in Middle Earth looks very, very different than magic in the worlds of D&D. Many of the AIME classes have abilities that are magical in nature. They just don’t have spells. Cause that’s not how magic works in Tolkien’s stories.

3rd Age Tolkien (like AIME) is all but the canonically "low magic." What little high-magic is left comes from remnants of the 1st Age and the abuses of Morgoth and Sauron. The construction of AIME hews pretty close to this.

To call it high magic requires redefining what "high magic" looks like. Magic is powerful, but for PCs it is very subtle and rare. This isn't a 1st Age game! The healer uses plants to heal, the plants might be unusually potent, but this is herbalism not asking Tymora to knit flesh back together instantaneously. You're not growing anyone's arms back or curing deadly poison with a simple touch (it takes at least a long rest). The "wizard" makes his staff glow or can shout really loudly. That's "high magic"?

Magic in AIME is in the world and characters can access tiny bits of it by being in harmony with that world (or... shadow points!) A handful of NPCs and character choices give access to what in core D&D would be laughably low level spells (like arcane lock). Low magic for sure. No lightning bolts. No turning into elementals. No fairy spires or planar jaunts.

The HP and AC balance of AIME plays into this too with relatively lower stats for everyone. My 7th level bard-equivalent is still a valuable combatant shooting the same 1d8 greatbow he had at second level. Damage and abilities never balloon like in Core D&D and supernatural combatants are rare and terrifying.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I once add the idea of taking the casting system of Beyond the Wall (OSR style game based on young adventurers and the bonds that unites them).
  • Spellcasters gain can cast 1 spells per day/per level. (You may want to tweak this tho)
  • Spell increase per caster level as in previous edition.
  • There's no spell level. Each level is roughly the equivalent in power of first of second level spells in DnD.
  • There's Cantrips which you need to maka an ability check before casting, mostly spells like Light, Speak with Animals. Failing the ability check trigger a backlash, forcing the caster to decide between losing cantrip for the day or letting the Dm choose a random effect for the spell.
  • Higher level spells in DnD (3rd to 6th ish) are rituals and those have levels. To cast a ritual, the caster needs to spend a number of hours equal to the ritual levels and expand rare component. Yes, that means that casting Fireball requires 3 hours, and the heart of a fire elemental: its an artillery spell.
  • There's a huge focus on folksy and subtle magic.
  • No spell divine/arcane/druidic spell list: theres only one type of caster in BtW, but in DnD you may want to have more, sharing the same spell list or not.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
3rd Age Tolkien (like AIME) is all but the canonically "low magic." What little high-magic is left comes from remnants of the 1st Age and the abuses of Morgoth and Sauron. The construction of AIME hews pretty close to this.

To call it high magic requires redefining what "high magic" looks like. Magic is powerful, but for PCs it is very subtle and rare. This isn't a 1st Age game! The healer uses plants to heal, the plants might be unusually potent, but this is herbalism not asking Tymora to knit flesh back together instantaneously. You're not growing anyone's arms back or curing deadly poison with a simple touch (it takes at least a long rest). The "wizard" makes his staff glow or can shout really loudly. That's "high magic"?

Magic in AIME is in the world and characters can access tiny bits of it by being in harmony with that world (or... shadow points!) A handful of NPCs and character choices give access to what in core D&D would be laughably low level spells (like arcane lock). Low magic for sure. No lightning bolts. No turning into elementals. No fairy spires or planar jaunts.

The HP and AC balance of AIME plays into this too with relatively lower stats for everyone. My 7th level bard-equivalent is still a valuable combatant shooting the same 1d8 greatbow he had at second level. Damage and abilities never balloon like in Core D&D and supernatural combatants are rare and terrifying.
As you noted, it depends on how you are defining “high magic.” My point was that magic in Tolkien’s 3rd age is commonplace (“high” in quantity), but subtle, and often more closely resembles what modern people would consider technology than the magic of D&D (“low” in impact, I suppose?) Sure, nobody is shooting fireballs or lightning, but most everyone practices and/or benefits from some form of magic in their daily lives. And again, most AIME classes have some abilities that are magical in nature. It’s just a more down to earth kind of magic than you get in D&D, which may be exactly what Lowkey is looking for.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I will say I love the Warden as a non-spellcasting bard replacement, and that the non-spellcasting Wanderer is much cooler than the Ranger, even though his core abilities might need to be changed a fair bit to work in campaigns with less stuff solidly mapped out.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I will say I love the Warden as a non-spellcasting bard replacement, and that the non-spellcasting Wanderer is much cooler than the Ranger, even though his core abilities might need to be changed a fair bit to work in campaigns with less stuff solidly mapped out.
Yeah, the Warden is easily my favorite thing in AIME.

Take out cantrips, give cantrip-using classes a new 1st level feature to replace it with. Something useful, versatile. Maybe the Druid can now diagnose all means of poison and disease and tell when something is corrupt from a glance, and the wizard has advantage on Intelligence checks to figure out something's magical ability. This'll reduce the combat power of these classes a lot, but if that was your concern, then removing cantrips was never going to work for you.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's not that I want to completely re-tool 5e to resemble 1e.
I get that, my 1e books have held up better than others I've used a lot less. ;)
You could just run 1e, right?
And, I mean, 5e made a LOT of compromises to be more like TSR-era D&D, generally, so since fans of 3e & 4e have already been inconvenienced to make 5e more acceptable to you, going and dumping it for the classic game it tried so hard to emulate, for your benefit, would be a bit...
...just a bit.

So, yeah, there's that.

It's that I want to de-Magic 5e.
Okay, let me explain this first. When people ask me what I dislike about 5e, my response is always the same- there's too much magic.
In the context of D&D, when people talk about 'low' or 'high' magic, they often mean completely different things. They might mean few/no or tons of magic /items/ ('low magic' vs 'Monty Haul'). Or, they might mean that their are few casters in the world, but no restrictions on PC casters, or great restrictions on casters both PC & NPC. Or, they might mean castes are powered up or nerfed.

As a matter of style, in TTFRPGs, I prefer the occasional big bang to the constant little pew pew pew.
So, not less magic, at all, just keep magic feeling that much more powerful/important, by keeping it consistently on the high end of the power scale.

So I have two issues that I would want to fix if I was fixing 5e:
A. Cantrips.
I am saying that I want to remove cantrips.
Straightforward enough and requires little if any adjustment to the game, overall. Casters can, when they need to dish out a little damage, swing/throw a weapon or plink with projectiles like everyone else. You might make Extra Attack more ubiquitous, for instance, giving sub-classes that don't already get Extra Attack at 5th a single Extra Attack at 11th.

B. Spell equivalency.
This is a slightly harder one to grok, but once you see it, you can't un-see it in 5e. It's like the old, "If all you had was a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" issue with class design and balance in 5e. The basic "unit of currency" in class design in 5e is the spell; it is ingrained into the system that almost everything (from monster effects, to many invocations for Warlocks, to magic items) are treated as spells. Martial classes are turned into spellcasters simply to give them abilities that would better be handled as abilities.
Sure. MM was even up-front about it. Even when a class sub-class doesn't get spells, any limited-use abilities it does get will be stacked up to spells and equivalent to them in some way. In the Happy Fun Hour where he roughed out a "Warlord" sub-class, he used spells as a benchmark for it's shouty healing and other abilities.

Seems like a non-issue, since it's behind the scenes. Just because a BM's CS die maneuvers have been designed/balanced against a low-level spell benchmark doesn't make them in any way spells - they can't be dispelled or counterspelled or anything like that, they're maneuvers in the fiction.

So I've been pondering this for a while and I thought I'd throw this out for general discussion. While I think it might be possible to approach the cantrip issue, the more I think about the spell equivalency issue, the more I begin to realize that this might be too hard-baked into the 5e DNA to change.
It's a balancing and design-effort-saving convention, but you could certainly go off its rails if you don't care about balance and have more time/talent to invest in designing for the game than... well, ..er...the folks who get paid..to .. y'know... as their career…
...yeah, nevermind.

Any thoughts on the issue? What are the best approaches you've found for de-Magicking 5e?
My issue with magic being, well, too much, in 5e is very different from yours. I see no problem with minor magics like cantrips or even combat-effective ones on par with weapons. They match genre, where there's no particular limitation on how often you use magic, more often it's how fast or when you're able to use it, or what risks you take or prices you pay to do so. Minor magics on tap all the time fits. More powerful ones taking a long time work up - rituals - also fits. The sore thumb: Vancian uber-magicks you can toss off in a few seconds and use every single day as long as you'd like without much effort or consequence - not Earth-shattering, but society-altering, potentially.

So, I'd de-magic 5e by removing slots. Entirely. Cantrips and Rituals could stay. Spells that don't have a specific cast-as-ritual option could still be ritually cast but they'd take significant time. Minutes of concentration per spell level, for instance, so generally right out for combat (except maybe when besieging an enemy stronghold?)

That, alone, would go a long way. But, for more detail - and more plot devices - it'd also make more powerful magic feel more magical if it were further restricted in when/how it could be used or what consequences it might set in motion. A sorcerer using subtle spell to talk some unsuspecting guards to sleep and rescue a friend might work any time - it's a low-level spell, it's not defying the natural order much at all.
Summoning a demon, OTOH, might only be in the hour following midnight (exactly mid-night, mind you, and there are no clocks, so watch the sky carefully), the more powerful the demon, the more restrictions... only on the dark of the moon, only once every 13 years from the date it was consigned to the abyss, only when "The Stars Are Right!' etc. ;)
Casting the same spell repeatedly might make it harder each time, or un-do the effects of prior castings, or inflict consequences on the caster, the area around him or the beneficiaries of his efforts in 'poetic' (in)justice ways.

Last edited:

Any thoughts on the issue? What are the best approaches you've found for de-Magicking 5e?
The spell-equivalency thing is baked pretty deeply into the class structure. You could fix those classes by re-writing them, but I'm not sure how much work you want to put into this. As for cantrips, you could just remove them entirely, and it wouldn't really change that much.

Personally, my solution was to throw out everything and start over from scratch. I created martial classes that didn't have magic-equivalent powers, and spellcasters who were balanced with exactly seven spell slots per day. It also gave me the opportunity to fix the healing rules and saving throws, which was the bigger issue for me. (I did include at-will mage hand and light in the feats system, because those are spells that are only really meaningful if you can cast them trivially, and they're situational enough to not hurt the over-all magic level.)

dave2008

Legend
The spell-equivalency thing is baked pretty deeply into the class structure. You could fix those classes by re-writing them, but I'm not sure how much work you want to put into this. As for cantrips, you could just remove them entirely, and it wouldn't really change that much.

Personally, my solution was to throw out everything and start over from scratch. I created martial classes that didn't have magic-equivalent powers, and spellcasters who were balanced with exactly seven spell slots per day. It also gave me the opportunity to fix the healing rules and saving throws, which was the bigger issue for me. (I did include at-will mage hand and light in the feats system, because those are spells that are only really meaningful if you can cast them trivially, and they're situational enough to not hurt the over-all magic level.)
Well I'm interested. Care to share or is this something we can purchase in the future?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't want to ban spellcasters.*

I just want to make magic more rare, and more interesting. IMO.

So, here's a thing - D&D magic works to be playable via being formulaic and repeatable. Changing whether you have cantrips, or lots of spelling classes, won't change the structure of the magic system.

It is still going to be a well-detailed spell, in a spell slot. While the tactical possibilities are interesting, the magic itself... isn't, really. Reducing the amount of it will make it more rare, but not more interesting.

Remove ads