D&D 5E How to deal 500+ damage (average) in one round

everyman322

First Post
First, the Tempest Cleric's Channel Divinity: Destructive Wrath says you can use it "when you roll lightning or thunder damage" and can only be used once per short rest, so it's not entirely clear whether or not you can maximize the damage on both the original target and the twinned spell target, and I'd be really surprised if the DM rules in your favor when you pull this combo out :)

Second, if max damage is the goal, why not use Witch Bolt instead? It does more damage than Chromatic Orb at spell levels 5+.

So,
1. Action: Level 8 Witch Bolt(8d12) + Assassinate(if surprised)(8d12) + Elemental Affinity(5)+ Twinned Spell(x2) + Destructive Wrath(max damage)
2. Bonus action: convert Lv2/3 spell slot to sorcery points (BTW, for others who might be wondering, the point of this is to get enough sorc points to twin the next spell and optionally one extra point to also use Empowered Spell on it.)
3. Action Surge: Lv7 Witch Bolt(7d12) + Assassinate(if surprised)(7d12) + Elemental Affinity(5) + Twinned Spell(x2)
= 586 damage (avg) if your DM allows the Destructive Wrath to also apply to the Twinned Spell target, 498 damage (avg) if not, and then Empowered Spell should easily get you to 500 anyway.

Also, the spell limit Raunalyn mentioned earlier only applies when you cast a spell as a bonus action (Crawford said this somewhere, but just look at where the rule is), but yes, according to Crawford, Action Surge would be an exception if that were the case.

Dissonance77

First Post
This is the kind of thing I was hoping 5e would fix and it still could. For so long there has been this emphasis on building the best killer possible and min maxing numbers to make the most destructive build possible or best optimized and often times it cost that same character in the way of personality and good RP development. Much of this goes back to Wizards and TSR with the original xp system being based simply off of killing monsters. It spurned gamers to do nothing but think about moving from kill encounter to kill encounter. With the new systems of XP hopefully this mindset changes some and we get out of the era of purely hack and slash which while fun to have in all your D&D games becomes mindless and boring as all hell after awhile.

In no way am I saying the original poster is attempting to min max by discussing this, but its topics of this nature which will continue to perpetuate this stereotype of the hack and slash

My Greataxe Half Orc Paladin 2, Bard (Valor) 10, Barbarian 2, Assasin 3, Fighter (BM) 3 deals the same.

Casts Haste. Expertise in stealth and perception. Darkvision. GWM and GWS feat/style (and defence). Martial adept feat (5 dice).

Advances (using stealth). Locates enemy fiend (Tiamat). Gets angry. Initiates combat. Surprise round. Moves 30' to the Queen of Dragons and then:

Attacks (twice) auto critting, action surges (scoring two more crits) and gains a bonus action attack from GWM (also a crit), and then extra attack thanks to Haste (also a crit). All attacks at advantage. Burns sup dice on each attack, and 4th and 5th level slots for divine smite. GWM feat turned on.

Each attack deals 3d12 (axe) + 14d8 (smite v feind plus sup dice) + 17. Total damage 18d12+84d8+102. Average (factoring GWS) is around 700 points. Maximum damage is 990 points.

Add a magic weapon (flaming axe for an extra 24d6 damage) for fun.

Is also proficient in a bucketload of skills, has expertise in no less than six of them, half prof to the rest (and initiative checks). Proficient in all armor and weapons, takes half damage while raging. Bardic inspiration (D10), 6th level spell slots (CL11), 5th level spells known (and magical secrets).

The righteous and angry musician of sudden doom.

Ohillion

First Post
This is the kind of thing I was hoping 5e would fix and it still could. For so long there has been this emphasis on building the best killer possible and min maxing numbers to make the most destructive build possible or best optimized and often times it cost that same character in the way of personality and good RP development. Much of this goes back to Wizards and TSR with the original xp system being based simply off of killing monsters. It spurned gamers to do nothing but think about moving from kill encounter to kill encounter. With the new systems of XP hopefully this mindset changes some and we get out of the era of purely hack and slash which while fun to have in all your D&D games becomes mindless and boring as all hell after awhile.

In no way am I saying the original poster is attempting to min max by discussing this, but its topics of this nature which will continue to perpetuate this stereotype of the hack and slash

Which is why I run my campaigns with Plot EXP and Sub Plot EXP...I don't tell the players what the plots and sub plots are but they are made evident in some way or another. I usually have a target EXP in mind for each of the plots...if the players dominate the entire adventure with ease, it's only 25% of the intended EXP. If they do well and survive with some downtime for recovering from the adventure, I give 50%. If they struggle with each point on the way to completing a plot, they get 75% to 100% of the EXP.

This way, despite running from monsters, backing out of a deal made with an employer, but still completing the overall storyline, they are rewarded. All actions have consequences so backing out of deals, while discouraged, can have its own ramifications later and makes for some new sub plot I can add in later.

I hope this helps. If DM's can't make their games EXP/kill only, then as a player, it's your right and responsibility to bring it to their attention. The rules should be a touchstone for good DMing.

Remove ads