• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to deal with a problem player

Quickleaf

Legend
Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I have and they are less annoyed with it than I am, but still are bothered.

Are you familiar with player types? This player sounds like an "instigator." It's shorthand for a player who takes crazy oddball risks, screws up the rest of the party's plans with bad decisions, gets impatient, likes to make things happen, and sometimes leaps into action without forethought.

They can be a pain in the ass. But they can also help to move the game along especially when other players suffer analysis paralysis.

Ways you can channel the instigator's energy constructively include...

* Include encounters that encourage experimentation
* Let the instigator get the group into trouble (but not a TPK)
* Throw in equally feisty NPCs
* Practice saying "yes"; avoid saying "nothing happens" to the instigator
* Give the instigator busy work like setting up or clearing dungeon tiles, tallying XP or treasure, or refreshing everyone's drink
* Keep a "bang!" encounter (one where the bad guys kick in the door and attack) for those moments when the instigator is getting insufferably impatient

Blitzkind

First Post
Hey @Blitzkind , any updates on the situation?
Yep. :)

I sat down with him and voiced my concerns, he was very cooperative and agreed to not try and cause me TOO much trouble. Haha.

I also decided to employ his help on setting up the campaign (It's a sci-fi setting and he helped me rename some classes to fit into the setting). I figured that if I could involve him in the early stages he'd feel he had more of an impact on the game itself. So far, it's worked well, first session went better than I could have hoped.

Remove ads