• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to disarm a person with a bow?

TabulaRasa

First Post
What attack modifier does the archer get to his opposite attack roll?
Does the archer get +4 for two handed weapon?
Can the archer make an opposite disarm attack with the bow?

/Tabula

hong

WotC's bitch
The FAQ says that smashing a bow counts as attacking an object, rather than attacking a weapon: instead of opposed attack rolls, you make a regular attack roll against the object's AC, with various mods applied. Disarming a bow would presumably use the same rules, only instead of damaging the bow, you can choose to yank it out of its user's hands.

Since we're making up house rules ... I'd treat it is a melee weapon of the appropriate size, with no bonus for two-handed weapon. You would get your strenght bonus, as in a melee attack. And you would not be able to attempt to disarm the opponent with a bow.

The item's AC is irrelevant, since you're not trying to inflict damage on the object. The archer's strength has to be the main factor influencing his susceptibility to disarm attempts, not the bow's resistance to blows.

Just my two cents.

AGGEMAM

First Post
TabulaRasa said:
What attack modifier does the archer get to his opposite attack roll?

All modifier apply, plus the +4 per size category difference.

Note that the PHB does not call for an opposed melee attack rolls, just an 'opposed attack roll with your respective weapons.'

Does the archer get +4 for two handed weapon?

Yes, since an archer cannot make unarmed AoOs he cannot have one hand free, therefore he must be using both hands on the bow all the time.

Can the archer make an opposite disarm attack with the bow?

No, a disarm is a melee attack which cannot be performed with ranged weapons (except a whip).

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
For purposes of disarming, I treat the bow as an improvised weapon; the bow-wielder makes his normal melee attack roll with a -4 nonproficiency penalty. Return disarms are allowed, with the same -4 penalty. The enhancement bonus of a magical bow does not apply.

I like this because it treats the bow exactly like an awkward-shaped club, which is really all it is in melee. The archer is at a disadvantage, but no more so than if he were wielding some random tree branch.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Actually, I just found out that FAQ has the 'official' rules on this subject.

From the D&D

On a normal disarm attempt, you and the target make opposed checks using a melee attack. But what if you're trying to knock a wand out of a wizard's hand? Would the wizard make a roll using only his Dexterity modifier?

Use opposed attack rolls for any disarm attempts (the better you are at combat, the harder it is to take things away from you).
If the target of the disarm is not a weapon, and the target is something that the defender has in hand or carries on a belt or other fairly accessible place, the attacker makes an attack roll against the item first. (A normal disarm attempt against a weapon doesn't require an initial attack roll, but that is because the weapon is assumed to be in use and pretty easy to strike.) Use the rules for attacking inanimate objects on page 135 of the Player's Handbook. The item's Armor Class depends on its size, as shown on Table 8:11; remember that a held, worn, or carried object uses the wielder's Dexterity modifier to Armor Class (instead of its own -5 penalty) and gains the benefit of any deflection bonus to Armor Class that the wielder has.
If the initial attack strikes the object, make an opposed attack roll to see if the defender drops the item.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
That opposed attack roll would then be an unarmed attack roll for the defender?

I mean, that's the part of the question, which is not really answered there, which attack statistic is used with a wand (or bow).

Or is there something like a generic attack roll?

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
AuraSeer said:
For purposes of disarming, I treat the bow as an improvised weapon; the bow-wielder makes his normal melee attack roll with a -4 nonproficiency penalty. Return disarms are allowed, with the same -4 penalty. The enhancement bonus of a magical bow does not apply.

I like this because it treats the bow exactly like an awkward-shaped club, which is really all it is in melee. The archer is at a disadvantage, but no more so than if he were wielding some random tree branch.

I don't quite understand (ok, I'm not a weapon expert on that matter), why it should be easier to disarm a bow than a sword, since the bow will not be used in such a way (rather be moved out of the way instead of held against the incoming weapon)?

You don't parry, when you wield a bow, you dodge.

I'd say, that disarming a bow should be next to impossible.

Bye
Thanee

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Impossible...Fie!

Originally posted by Thanee I'd say, that disarming a bow should be next to impossible.

Knocking a bow of the hands of an archer with a melee weapon would not be next to impossible. My PC's done just this in game before. He simply attacks the archer's bow using the attacking an object rules. Since a ranged weapon does not threaten, the "disarm" attempt does not provoke an AoO. Bows also tend to break easy under the weight of a greatsword.

Not a common occurence, but hardly approaching impossible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads