• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to disarm a person with a bow?

mirzabah

First Post
Kraedin said:
Why not just sunder the bow? They have, what, hardness 5 and 5 hp?
Maybe the disarmer doesn't want to ruin the bow.

Funnily enough, this came up in our last session. A bad guy Charmed the party's ranger. As you know, Charm Person does not turn the target into a suicidal maniac out to "get" his colleagues (unless he was that way inclined anyway), so when on of the other PCs prepared to shoot at the ranger's new special friend, his only option really was to attempt to disarm the archer. The spell meant he had to defend the bad guy; an instinct for self-preservation (unusually strong in this guy, but that's another story ;)) meant that he wouldn't attempt to "catch" the arrow, and his alignment and general nature meant that he would neither attack a party member, nor attempt to sunder her weapon.

We ended up using the grappling rules in this particular case.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Ok, please note the first sentence of the Sage reply here:

Use opposed attack rolls for any disarm attempts (the better you are at combat, the harder it is to take things away from you).

The Sage reply then goes on and describes the rules if it is not a weapon, but a bow is a weapon.

So there is no question about what the rules say; ie make an attack roll.

mirzabah

First Post
AGGEMAM said:
The Sage reply then goes on and describes the rules if it is not a weapon, but a bow is a weapon.
It's not a melee weapon and disarming someone (or being the subject of a disarming attack) is a melee action, so in that context, a bow cannot be considered a weapon.

AGGEMAM

First Post
mirzabah said:
It's not a melee weapon and disarming someone (or being the subject of a disarming attack) is a melee action, so in that context, a bow cannot be considered a weapon.

Chapter and verse, please!!

Nowhere is it specified that the target of a disarm is not considered a weapon, if it is a ranged weapon.

Thanee

First Post
Re: Impossible...Fie!

Mark Chance said:
Knocking a bow of the hands of an archer with a melee weapon would not be next to impossible. My PC's done just this in game before. He simply attacks the archer's bow using the attacking an object rules. Since a ranged weapon does not threaten, the "disarm" attempt does not provoke an AoO. Bows also tend to break easy under the weight of a greatsword.

Not a common occurence, but hardly approaching impossible.

I didn't mean is next to impossible, but should be.

I just can't imagine how someone would disarm a bow, since the person with the bow could simply move it out of the way.

And furthermore the bow is somewhat flexible, which means, hitting it will exert lesser force onto the grip. Sure it could be cut in half with a sword or axe, probably even easier than disarmed.

Anyways, that's just random ramblings that have nothing to do with the rules in question! :D

Bye
Thanee

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Re: Re: Impossible...Fie!

Thanee said:

I just can't imagine how someone would disarm a bow, since the person with the bow could simply move it out of the way.

That's a nonargument. Along your lines, I should be impossible to punch in the head because I can simply move my head out of the way. My limited experience with boxing, however, indicates strongly that this is hardly the case.

Still, I don't know anyone would bother using a disarm attack on an archer. It seems more sensible to either attack the bow itself or (better yet) hit the archer. >:)

AGGEMAM

First Post
Ok, here is the final nail in the coffin.

The Sage explains what a opposed attack really is, ie the defender sets the DC for the attacker to better. It is not a normal attack roll per se.

From the D&D FAQ

When rolling opposed attack rolls (such as in a grapple or a disarm attempt), does a natural 1 mean automatic failure as it does for a normal attack roll?

For the attacker (that is, the character trying to disarm a foe or accomplish something with a grapple check) a natural 1 fails and a natural 20 succeeds, no matter what the defender rolls. Although the defender's roll is called an 'opposed attack roll,' the defender is really just setting the DC for the attacker: 1s and 20s aren't special for the defender. Just apply the defender's modifiers to set the DC for the attacker. If both the attacker and the defender roll a 1, the attacker fails. If both the attacker and the defender roll a 20, the attacker succeeds. Note that you cannot get a hold on a foe two or more sizes larger than you (see page 137 in the Player's Handbook).
All of the foregoing assumes that you are indeed making an opposed attack roll, which is subject to automatic success or failure. Checks are not subject to automatic success or failure. For example, if you are making an opposed check (as you would when making a Hide check opposed by a foe's Spot check) a roll of 1 or 20 has no special significance.

Darklone

Hey Mark!

Any chance you gonna start another Wandering Company game soon ;)?

Disarming a bow.... *sigh*

This whole discussion is similar to the archer who steps 5ft back in melee and shoots several arrows into his enemy :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads