How to Flesh out a City

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
This has all been amazingly helpful everyone. From the ideas/inspirations/tricks that have given me a good feel for what I want my city to be like, to the tools and articles that help me actually organize information or come up with aspects I wouldn't think of.

I feel very confident now to run my session tonight, allowing my PC's free reign of Lesdon. Cheers to all!

Trit

Ps. Here's a pdf for an Expeditious Retreat supplement someone mentioned that I found to be very detailed and helpful for anyone in my situation.

http://media.dandwiki.com/w/images/1/15/XRP1001.pdf

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Don't create a city. Create a feel with a handful of great, memorable landmarks.

For instance: imagine that a city has a few main districts.

District A is where the rich folks live. Wide streets, large houses, high walls, beautiful parks. Statues of ancient wizards and war heroes and adventurers; shimmering fountains that flash in the sun. The weather here is better than in other parts of the city, although no one can prove a thing. Landmarks: Arch of the Sentinels, dedicated to the city's adventurers from 80 years ago; The Market of Kings, an open-air market where beautiful and valuable goods are sold by mysterious artisans. The Palace.

District B is the slums. Narrow, filthy streets, a monthly pig race that everyone bets on, sewers, tight buildings with many balconies. The air is full of noise: scavenger birds, women calling between buildings, kids running, roosters crowing. Landmarks: a popular cheap pub with amazing food, that's known to kick out rich tourists that try to pay with gold; Gadries Bathhouse, where folks go to exercise and keep clean; the Temple of the Streets, where the small Gods of the city grant blessings for a fee.

And so forth. Describe one or two things in detail, hint at the rest, and your players will be able to pick out what neighborhood they're in just from how you describe the street and the people walking it.

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Well despite me feeling like I lost it by the end of the session, the players responded really well. One specifically sought me out after to tell me how great the session was.

So many thanks for all you guys.
Definitely used ideas from everyone, fleshing out the city in only broad strokes, dividing it into districts, then having a stock of ideas half-formed for when my players ran off. Awesome help you guys, thanks for making me look good!

Trit

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Glad to hear it, Trit!

There's a wealth of great resources in this thread, I'm glad I spotted it. My PCs are about to explore a city next session, so some of the advice in here will be well-used. :)

wcpfish

First Post
City Slices I: Marketplace Fun

If I may plug my own "city-enhancing" supplement. City Slices I: Marketplace Fun includes npcs, items for sale, skill challenges, and adventure hooks for creating a bustling marketplace where the PCs have tons of choices of things to do!

It has recently gone "Copper Bestseller" status and remains Escape Velocity's best-selling and best-reviewed product.

Hope you enjoy it!

Available here.

Happy Gaming!
William C. Pfaff
President of Escape Velocity Gaming
www.escapevelocitygaming.com

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
Glad this thread has grown as it has. City creating is an under-appreciated aspect of DND and, when done right, can add a huge amount of flavor and depth to your world (not to mention prepare you for renegade PC's).

Trit

Remove ads