• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to gain Combat Advantage

Harr

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
This is why Rogues want Stealth. ;)

I can't tell you how many Sneak Attacks I've set up simply by hiding behind obstacles on the field, moving into position while still hidden, and then tossing something nice and sharp.

I don't understand... do you mean to imply that a successful Stealth check to hide automatically gives you Combat Advantage over opponents?

Or do you just mean you moved over to flank while being hidden?

Edit -> sorry if I sound like I'm being dense by the way, it's just one of my players has a particular fondness for trying to sneak that in: well "I made my Hide check, so now I can sneak attack this guy" and so on.

Last edited:

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Harr said:
I don't understand... do you mean to imply that a successful Stealth check to hide automatically gives you Combat Advantage over opponents?

Or do you just mean you moved over to flank while being hidden?
on.
If you are hidden then you gain combat advantage over everyone who doesn't see you. However, this means you need cover or concealment in order to make the hide check. You also need to win an opposed Stealth vs Perception check to hide in the first place. And attacking stops you from being hidden.

In other words, if you were using a melee weapon the only way hiding would help you is in a low light situation, you were in large grass or trees or smoke or something similar.

Majoru Oakheart said:
In other words, if you were using a melee weapon the only way hiding would help you is in a low light situation, you were in large grass or trees or smoke or something similar.

Actually, there are positions where you can make a melee attack from cover and/or concealment. Of course, once you've made the attack, they can see you, but at least you get the one attack in first. :)

That said, they're pretty rare and situational circumstances. So you're right that it's a more effective tactic with ranged weapons.

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
Well, some thoughts on Combat Advantage:

-Stealth is very handy, so I would attempt to stealth more or less all the time, so that you can start the fight with a Sneak Attack. Also, if you can stay behind the enemy's front ranks, most of them will be facing the other direction, which should give you concealment against them even after you attack, no?
- Movement is critical; I would use regular movement and Deft Strike to try to flank as often as possible, since you can spam that when your Encounter/Dailies are gone.
- At Paragon level, you can pick up a feat called Seize the Moment, which gives you CA against enemies with lower Initiative.
- Pick up stuff that lets you stun; maybe a magic item or multiclassing into Monk to pick up Stunning Fist, etc.

Vikingkingq said:
Stealth is very handy, so I would attempt to stealth more or less all the time, so that you can start the fight with a Sneak Attack. Also, if you can stay behind the enemy's front ranks, most of them will be facing the other direction, which should give you concealment against them even after you attack, no?

There's no facing in D&D. So no, simply being behind them does not qualify. You can't sneak "all the time" for the same reason. You have to have cover or concealment from the target.

Stealth is cool. Stealth is useful. Stealth is not "invisibility by any other name," nor is it a guaranteed sneak attack. ;)

There's a reason the rogue's sneak attack does more damage than the warlock's curse or the ranger's quarry abilities--because you're not going to get pull it off every round.

arscott

First Post
Mort_Q said:
Isn't tumble an Encounter power?
Sure you can't tumble until 2nd level, and even then you can only tumble 1/round.

But that halfling rogue gets +5 AC versus opportunity attacks, which is almost as good.

It's not foolproof, but neither was 3e tumble, where you had to beat a skill check.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads