D&D 5E How to not murder my PC's

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I commend to your attention the thread "Enhancing Hoard of the Dragon Queen" somewhere in this forum. People who played through HotDQ earlier described their problems and discussed solutions.

Personally, I was the solution to this problem when I joined a group playing HotDQ; I brought a Paladin. It took me about two months of real time to train the Wizard to quit running around in circles during combat and hide behind me. 😄

If you kill off another PC in combat, utter the "off-hand" suggestion that the group needs somebody who can stand up and take a hit for the team. You may get a new Fighter or you may get a Pact Blade Warlock.

Weiley31

Legend
It's the responsibility of the DM to make that available as an option. Not all games feature a "rent a merc" shop, and there are certainly none in HOTDQ.
True.

But what one can do is, create a list of various NPC Companions and use the UA Sidekick rules.

Now, you can either assign a fighter class one OR roll a percentage dice. You get a certain sidekick companion if you roll certain numbers.

Roll a 12? Your PCs are near a cliffside, you see a female Merfolk Storm Caller singing a Ballard. Oh snap you got a 20? Your PCs instead meet up with a friendly Serpentine Lamia Royal Sorcereress chasing away bandits. That roll of 9 may instead gain you a Grey Wolf Rune Knight Fighter, who your PCs encounter wounded on the road. Save it from the Dragon Cultists that injured it, heal it, and then the Wolf will join ya.

So on and so on.

Oofta

Legend
Ah, the memories. I had a campaign long ago where everyone (all veteran players) decided they were going to play mages of one sort or another. Mages-R-Us was a complete and total disaster no matter how easy I was on them and finally ended in a TPK.

But I digress. Casters are a little more competent now at lower level than they were in 2E, so I think a big part of the issue may be coordination. You do have a couple of options if you don't want to deal with henchmen which may or may not help.

I would consider giving the group tactical advice, suggestions and if all else fails change the mods.

When it comes to tactical advice, sometimes with newbies I'll just flat out tell them when they're about to do something stupid like split the party unnecessarily. In my last game I let the guy playing the cleric (first time playing 5E) that if he didn't heal a fellow PC that was downed that the PC would be dead when the monster went. If they go to split the party I'd just let them know it's a good way to die. Sometimes I'll throw in an intelligence or wisdom check because the player is not the PC. The PC may be far more intelligent than the player and may realize they're about to do something stupid.

But there's also changing the mod. Make the fights easier. The enemy is distracted, asleep or guards are simply not doing their job so the PCs get a round while the enemy is surprised and can't act. Split the party? Consider splitting the enemy as well. Half the monsters are on patrol and just happen to stumble across group B when group A initiates combat.

Last, but not least, talk to your players. Ask them what they want to do about the situation. Maybe someone would be willing to run a paladin or eldritch knight. Maybe an NPC hireling or two would help. Talk to them about tactics and why they keep running into trouble. Find out if you just need to dial things back or if they like the current level of risk.

Good luck!

jasper

Rotten DM
I do Adventure League and 4 pcs is a little short on man power. So
1. Let them run away.
2. Adjust the encounter down by dropping 1 or 2 monsters, cutting HP, etc.
3. Average damage on all hits and spells out going.
4. NPC meat shield with you having over rule rights. AKA you won't let the players suicide it.

I did HoDQ and if you're in the Kobold caverns, it's deadly. I wiped my party twice in that adventure. So, my advice:
1. Let your players know that it's ok to run away.
1b: remind them that it's ok to run away
2. Remind them to find a safe place to hide while they do so
3. Look at the encounters and decide if they're too tough. Splitting up encounters, as mentioned above to have scouting parties that they can take out in smaller groups is helpful.
4. Once they hit 5th level, they'll be less squishy.
5. I allow 15 minute short rests which is helpful to recharge their powers while keeping the tension of having bad guys searching for intruders. Most players won't retreat and rest because they're worried a 1 hour break will risk being discovered.

aco175

Legend
A couple solutions. I like the idea of adding a NPC or sidekick fighter. Problem is that fighters are the front line and either you are rolling all of the battle, or the new players are running more than one character- even if it is a sidekick which is designed to be easier. Not a recommendation for new players from me. I find it easier to add a mage NPC or cleric but not a front line fighter.

You could add magic to assist. In my games, most PCs around 4th level are getting a cool item. A wand of lightning or a cloak that allows teleport 1/rest can add a good punch to combat. I tend to make items with additional powers such as a +0 sword that allows you to reroll an attack or adds 1d10 when you crit. Maybe something that add a heal or magic missile 1/rest would help.

You can also just let them keep dying and the players will start to play fighters.

I was going to point out the same thing, though I guess it was a typo and he prefers B? But that still assumes that most DM's have several groups that all play in an inter-connected story line though....
Yup. It was a typo.

But I wouldn't say my groups play with in an "inter-connected story line." My game doesn't have a story line at all. I have a world. The players do stuff in the world. The world reacts. Repeat.

But yes. I do have multiple groups of players. One group has 16 players. It's a blast. All 3 groups love the inter-connectivity. They love planting traps, fake rumors, etc. for each others. Two of the characters (in different groups) are identical twins separated at birth who may (or may not) eventually meet. Both players are confused why NPCs in the world seem to know them already.

I wouldn't play D&D any other way.

Last edited:

No one rolled a fighter. Let the pain come. Maybe someone'll get smart a roll one up. No need for training wheels.

This. The next time somebody dies, have a discussion as a group about what type of PC would have helped the group's survival the most and have them roll that type of character. It doesn't necessarily have to be a fighter. Maybe they need a healer. Or a good battle mage.

Or maybe they need to start talking tactics a bit more.

Remove ads