D&D (2024) How to reign in full casters for 1D&D? Maybe remove 6th to 9th level spells as a Variant rule.

There many ways to deal with the Rest issue.
What works for my table is

24 hours (in a safe haven) = Long Rest.

The usual rest 6-8 hours rest on the road is considered a Travel Rest = which acts as a Short Rest for power recovery and restores 1/2 HD or 1 level of exhaustion ONLY.

The Short Rest remains a Short Rest.

Okay I don't want to be a party pooper, but really when I think about it, I don't want 6+ level spells reigned in. I LOVE gonzo we can kill with a word, or stop time, or cause earthquakes, or bring back a 50 year old dead person to life, or learn lore almost instantly (casting time), or even disintegrate something/one

I do wish that my martial heroes got inon the fun more, but doing crazy things is cool

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The post you quoted was about how the rules go out of their way to encourage players to make particular conclusions. A gm can churn through players endlessly to avoid "such players", but the rules are still going to be there encouraging the sort of disconnect described no matter how far from "such players" that the gm ultimately selects to continue playing at their table.

I've been saying since nearly the beginning of the 2014 playtest that our group quickly learned you cannot just rest whenever you want. Belen's example of monsters finding your tiny hut and taking steps to crush the party in response to them just hanging out in such an unsafe place for 8 hours rings very true to our games as well.

A decade now of my explaining that claim just doesn't ring true in many environments. The rules really truly don't encourage this disconnect. Published adventures, which in many ways represents what the published rules "represent", tend to have a lot of dungeons with a lot of wandering monster tables and a lot of elements which cause time tables or other incentives to not take forever accomplishing the goals. These are disincentives to rest whenever you want and to be judicious in choosing to rest and where to rest - and they've been there for the entire decade of 5e.

I truly think the "rest whenever you want" crowd is the exception, and not the rule. The people saying spellcasters are a serious problem are the same ones saying they have no problems resting whenever and wherever they want to rest.

Last edited:

nevin

Hero
I've been saying since nearly the beginning of the 2014 playtest that our group quickly learned you cannot just rest whenever you want. Belen's example of monsters finding your tiny hut and taking steps to crush the party in response to them just hanging out in such an unsafe place for 8 hours rings very true to our games as well.

A decade now of my explaining that claim just doesn't ring true in many environments. The rules really truly don't encourage this disconnect. Published adventures, which in many ways represents what the published rules "represent", tend to have a lot of dungeons with a lot of wandering monster tables and a lot of elements which cause time tables or other incentives to not take forever accomplishing the goals. These are disincentives to rest whenever you want and to be judicious in choosing to rest and where to rest - and they've been there for the entire decade of 5e.

I truly think the "rest whenever you want" crowd is the exception, and not the rule. The people saying spellcasters are a serious problem are the same ones saying they have no problems resting whenever and wherever they want to rest.
I think you are dead on. for a long time I've used timers for initiative. a one minute timer from a boggle game. I go through the list if someone pauses i flip the timer if they run out of time they go to the end of the line and if they cant make thier mind up by a second flip of the timer they lose thier turn. it wasn't till 5e I had to start fighting people over this. It prevents those 30 minute stop and consult the spell book speeds combat up by an amazing amount and a lot of people are shocked at how many times wizard defaults to magic missile or some other well known spell when some obscure spell would have been better. (same thing with other classes too). I do Rest same. If you rest the baddies take advantage of it. they can rest, they can screw up your rest. I gaurauntee no party in my game is going to lock a door and rest unless they feel they have no other options. i've been known to have the orcs pull in a ballistae and wait for the party , or there was the game where they coudn't come out of the tiny hut because of the cleric's forbiddance and the wizards wall of stone spells. they woke up entombed, unable to teleport and had to chisel thier way out while the bad guys screwed with them sending in elementals. Go ahead rest whenever you want......:)

It kind of depends on the spell.

Casting magic missile at 9th level, could come back every day.

But something like force cage shouldn't be spammed.
this is not my original idea, but one I got online and have discussed with my table, what if spells had different recharges.

Like if I prep detect magic as a 1st level spell it is at will
If I prep speak with animals it is at will
BUT both still take a prep slot you can't just know them.

then some spells you can cast 1/short rest for free or spend a slot on them
and the big ones you need to just spend a slot on.

with a possible 4th teir that can only be done by hours long rituals.

So then you can ask "Why did you prep lightning bolt over fireball?" and the answer can be "the once per short rest bit makes lightning better"

Remove ads