How to roll every type of die in an attack?

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I was playing a warlock, and an ally put a bless spell on me while I was using Hex, which meant that to roll attack and damage at the same time my Eldritch Blasts needed a d20, d4, d10, and d6. This prompted me to wonder if there was a reasonable setup that would let you roll one of each die type on an attack, with 'reasonable' meaning something that is functional for the character who uses it, only requires common support from other characters (like the bless spell), and only needs a reasonable 'normal' magic item. [Added 'one of' to make the goal clearer]

The d20 and d4 is easy with bless, as is d6 from hex or hunter's mark. You can fill in any of d8, d10, or d12 by picking a weapon or cantrip. Paladin smites would seem to cover the d8, but the class ability starts at 2d8 and none of the other smites give interesting types. I'm not thinking of a whole lot of other 'add-on' dice at this point, but I'm hoping the forum will help out here.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
The battlemaster's Superiority Die can be anything from a d8 to d12 (or a d6 if you gain it through the Martial Adept feat) so it can fill in pretty much any gap.

There's probably a bard subclass out there that lets you add the inspiration die to a damage roll, too.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Adding it to the attack roll is fine, this is rolling the attack and damage at the same time. So you've solved it for the single attack case, a battlemaster getting bless and inspiration can do an 'all dice' roll as a one-off - I don't know why I wasn't thinking of BM in this. Now for the more challenging version, can you do it in a way that can keep happening a whole fight instead of a single attack (or using highly limited resource), the way bless/hex/EB would?

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Probably several combos. My "solution" without getting into crazy multi-classing:

7th level Eldritch Knight casts Enlarge (concentration), +d4 damage to weapon damage, enters combat and attacks target (d20) using War Magic class feature (1 cantrip action + 1 weapon attack as bonus action), casts Fire Bolt (d10 damage) and attacks with greataxe (d12), then uses Action Surge to cast cantrip Green Blade (weapon attack +d8 fire at 5th level). At any time, spends his Bardic Inspiration die (d6) on an Attack roll. Note, per D&D errata you can cast with a two-handed weapon as that property is only necessary when attacking.

d20 - attack
d12 - greataxe
d10 - Fire Bolt cantrip
d8 - Fighter Action surge, cast Green-Flame Blade, +1d8 damage.
d6 - Bardic Inspiration die (from 3rd party)
d4 - Enlarge (concentration), +1d4 weapon damage

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I edited the original to make it clearer - the idea is to have an attack (hopefully repeatable) where you roll one of each die for the attack, not just to hit every die type in a round. It needs to all be in one sweep of rolling attack and damage at the same time, and only one die of each (which is why the paladin smites don't help, as they're all either multi-die or an already covered die).

Laurefindel

Legend
Battlemaster Fighter ( lvl 10th+ but not yet 18th) with paladin dip (at least 2 levels) multiclass with valor bard (with no more than 4 levels) friend.

d20 attack roll
d12 base weapon damage
d10 superiority die
d8 smite evil
d6 combat inspiration
d4 divine favor (requires concentration)

Last edited:

Probably several combos. My "solution" without getting into crazy multi-classing:

7th level Eldritch Knight casts Enlarge (concentration), +d4 damage to weapon damage, enters combat and attacks target (d20) using War Magic class feature (1 cantrip action + 1 weapon attack as bonus action), casts Fire Bolt (d10 damage) and attacks with greataxe (d12), then uses Action Surge to cast cantrip Green Blade (weapon attack +d8 fire at 5th level). At any time, spends his Bardic Inspiration die (d6) on an Attack roll. Note, per D&D errata you can cast with a two-handed weapon as that property is only necessary when attacking.

d20 - attack
d12 - greataxe
d10 - Fire Bolt cantrip
d8 - Fighter Action surge, cast Green-Flame Blade, +1d8 damage.
d6 - Bardic Inspiration die (from 3rd party)
d4 - Enlarge (concentration), +1d4 weapon damage

Tweak it to the following:
d20 - attack
d12 greataxe
d10 superiority die from battlemaster fighter of the required level
d8 - from green flame blade cantrip (gain through a racial or spell initiate: warlock feat)
d6 gain from hex (using the same feat
d4 gain from either being enlarged, or blessed.

It would all work with one attack and would require a high level fighter who somehow is using green flame blade to attack. Booming blade also works. Alternatively? A vengeance paladin ot st least 11th level to get the 1d8 from improved smite, the d6 from hunter's mark, and the d10 from a high level bard.

Laurefindel

Legend
Tweak it to the following:
d20 - attack
d12 greataxe
d10 superiority die from battlemaster fighter of the required level
d8 - from green flame blade cantrip (gain through a racial or spell initiate: warlock feat)
d6 gain from hex (using the same feat
d4 gain from either being enlarged, or blessed.

Enlarge works, but bless is on attack rolls and saves, not damage. Divine favor works but competes with hex or hunter’s Mark for concentration

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
OK, I was missing Divine Smite for Paladins at 11th level, I thought there was a smite that would be good for this but all of the other ones are multiple dice. So an 11th level vengeance paladin can do d20 (attack roll), d8 (Improved Divine Smite), D6 (Hunter's Mark) and D4 (Bless) on attacks through an entire combat, and all of the spells are self-cast so doesn't even need to rely on anyone else. So now if we find a bonus d10 or d12 effect that lasts for a whole combat, we've got it covered.

Remove ads