How to roll every type of die in an attack?

Laurefindel

Legend
On, lets try this then
Battlemaster fighter 10/war cleric 8

d20 attack roll
d12 great axe
d10 superiority die (lvl 10-17 battlemaster)
d8 divine strike (lvl 8-13 war cleric)
d6 combat inspiration ( lvl 3-4 valor bard ally)
d4 divine favor (from war domain spells, requires concentration)

If we need to avoid « cheating » with an ally casting enlarge or giving a combat inspiration die, or gaining an extra d6 from a frost brand, Etc., there are a few way to achieve it with xanathar guide and sword coast for things like absorb element, monster slayer ranger, booming blade but otherwise, I can’t see how to do it without exterior help with PHB only.

Last edited:

Beowulf

First Post
Fighter/Rogue with Magic Initiate (Bless, Toll the Dead)

Attack (d20 & d4)
Longsword + sneak attack (d8 & d6) <--- Oops can't sneak attack with longsword. Hmm.
2nd Attack: use both hands (d10)
Action Surge
Toll the Dead (d12)

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
It's the d10/d12 that's really hard to do - the spells that give bonus damage tend to prefer d6s or d8s over the higher dice. Battlemaster and bardic inspiration seem to be the only way to get those.

Cast the spell ‘Take Damage’

I had a DM who, when he got annoyed at something the players were doing would jokingly say he was casting Take Damage. It involved rolling every single dice that was currently on the table as damage dice. There was no avoiding it and no resistance to it. :)

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
I had a DM who, when he got annoyed at something the players were doing would jokingly say he was casting Take Damage. It involved rolling every single dice that was currently on the table as damage dice. There was no avoiding it and no resistance to it. :)

In an old issue of Dragon magazine, there was a wandering damage table. It had results like "Something invisible chews on you for 6-36 points of damage," "Take 1-6 damage and consider yourself lucky," "Your character cuts himself shaving, consult limb loss subtable" and "You take no damage? That's impossible, this table is foolproof, roll on this table twice and apply both results." The limb loss subtable was simple enough to remember: 1- Left Arm 2- Right arm 3- Left Leg 4- Right Leg 5- Head 6- Torso.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Whether this started as intentional or not, always liked the "puzzle" scenarios that from time to time were put out in older editions. Good brain teaser.

It is a Kensei Monk 17/ Gloom Stalker Ranger 3

attacking (d20) with a Great axe Kensei Weapon (d12) using Deft Strike (d10) ambushing (d8) using martial adept (d6) having cast divine favor (d4) from magic initiate.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
In an old issue of Dragon magazine, there was a wandering damage table. It had results like "Something invisible chews on you for 6-36 points of damage," "Take 1-6 damage and consider yourself lucky," "Your character cuts himself shaving, consult limb loss subtable" and "You take no damage? That's impossible, this table is foolproof, roll on this table twice and apply both results." The limb loss subtable was simple enough to remember: 1- Left Arm 2- Right arm 3- Left Leg 4- Right Leg 5- Head 6- Torso.

I am trying to figure out how to make the 7 select and 8 start but I am drawing a blank.

Remove ads