• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E How to treat a Buffalo rifle?

Puxido

First Post
I've been getting things ready for a modern/western campaign, and I would like to know how to treat a Buffalo/rolling back rifle?

It would be vicious. There's historical documentation of a shot made with a .50-90 (1872 Sharps buffalo rifle round) at 1500+ yards, but I'd imagine that took several feats. However, the energy of the round itself doesn't exceed that of a .308, in fact it's in the low-middle range of modern hunting rifle rounds. So I'd give it a stat block like this based on the DMG rules for firearms and a Sharps:
Name Damage Weight Properties
Buffalo Rifle 2d10 Piercing 10 pounds Ammunition (Range 400/1600), Reload (1 Shot), Two Handed

This will make for an extremely long range weapon (the given ranges for a hunting rifle in the DMG are silly, BTW) which fires faster than a musket and can be reloaded using a bonus action, allowing a shot every round without feats. If you let the character split iterative attacks with the reload bonus action that will allow two attacks with it per round from a long frigging way off.

I'd also introduce feats to extend the range of the weapon, primitive optics that allow for long range shooting without disadvantage, and even faster reloading.

Remove ads