D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

OB1

Jedi Master
Had our first session in over a month last Friday. Switched back to my home-brew Sigil campaign after finishing Spelljammer in December. After a brief discussion of the OGL (no one had canceled their DDB accounts which we use with Beyond20, but one player had considered it) we jumped into the action.

Having been away from this campaign for 3 months, decided to throw them right into the mix, when a drunk, powerful spellcaster at a party they were hired as guards for plane shifted them to the Beastlands after irritating her. They fought dinosaurs, found a village of Ardlings, and agreed to a quest to kill an aberant bear in return for safe passage back to Sigil. Ended the session with them killing the bear and discovering quite a bit of information about how it came to be (on a fearless and lucky nat20 arcana roll) that ties into a subplot back in Sigil. Looking forward to playing again this Friday!

Richards

Legend
In tonight's "Ghourmand Vale" 3.5 session, we:
  • Met up with my PC's brother and the returned-to-flesh barbarians we had rescued from statue form last session
  • Agreed to travel with them, my brother's wife and their newborn twins, the two barbarians, and my childhood nanny back to Greyhawk City, where we'd be hired by my brother's company to track down the rest of the barbarians' tribe (who had been captured by slavers)
  • Got 8 days into our 19-day trek back towards Greyhawk City when we met up with four escaped slaves, one of whom led us to where they'd been kept while the others continued on the journey to Greyhawk City (we'd catch up with them later)
  • Tracked the missing slaves to an abandoned mine, where they were being held by 12 orcs, an elf wizard, and an ettin
  • Had our elf archer snipe one of five orcs on guard duty, and then the rest of us sprang out of hiding once the orcs figured out they were under attack
  • Managed to kill three of the other four orcs before the last one made it back inside the mine for reinforcements
  • Each of us pretty much killed an orc with every attack
  • Got to try out my new trick, wherein my sorcerer PC used shrink item on a large boulder (making it the size of a sling stone), which our halfling rogue then shot at an orc with a sling - the boulder returned to its normal size upon impact
  • Lured the ettin out of the mines where we could gang up on it and kill it
  • Found out the elf wizard was among us, invisibly, when he fumbled a scorching ray spell aimed at my PC and was suddenly visible once again
  • Saved the remaining slaves, who were all members of the same frost barbarian tribe
Johnathan

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I ran a one-shot Christmas game the other night. it was the first time we were able to get together and play since the week before Christmas.

I used the Claus for Concern adventure from DMsGuild, but added a lot of tropes stolen from Terry Pratchett's Hogfather (one of the best stories ever written), and just stuff like I like to do with Christmas.

Characters:

My Wife played Cookie Twinklecane, a gnome flavored as a childlike North Pole Elf, head of North Pole Security, Forge Adept Artificer with a candy cane sword.

My local friend played Rudolph the Red-Nosed reflavored centaur Celestial Sorcerer. Obv Captain of the Reindeer Corps.

My friend joining us via Discord played Falafel Quinoa, Wood Elf Wizard, Head of Logistics and Fulfillment for The North Pole.

We began in the town of Nog, at Aex' (pronounced Eggs) Tavern and Hot Springs, with our heroes soaking in a hot spring fed hot tub on the first day of the annual 7 day vacation, January 7th. (I chose it because it's the day after Epiphany, and thus the end of the Christmas season) Everyone in Christmas, North Pole, takes a 7 day holiday, with the executive staff starting on the 7th, and other teams starting theirs over the next few days, so that Christmas gets fully cleaned up and everything gets readied for returning to work. Little bits like this are a big part of my DMing style. Moments and details that don't matter, but that contribute to the world feeling like it exists even when the PCs aren't looking at it.

Some conversation amongst themselves and with Aex the Tavern owner, and I tell them they hear the sounds of sleighbells, and reindeer landing. I tell Rudolph that he can tell it's a rough landing.

our heroes go out into the cold, to find a group of elves lead by Siff, one of Cookie's lieutenants, and including a couple regular staff at the Workshop. They tell the party that Christmas has been attacked, and no one can find The Big Man, or his wife Myra. I have one of the reindeer motion for Rudolph to take th lead if he wants, but Rudolph declines and tells the young buck "You've got it covered". The younger buck is very excited by this.

The team flies like a shot to Christmas, and land in a silent, empty, courtyard. Poking around they knock on a door, and an old man tells them what he's seen and heard. From there they find some frost mephits, one-shot one with firebolt, and badly injure the other, and then interrogate him. He mentions a She who has lead the attack, and I give the PCs their first hint of their history, describing how they are all ancient, having been with Santa before he built Christmas, when the world was darker and Winter more brutal. I tell them how there was an enemy that Santa and Myra dealt with on their own, how they were gone for weeks, and returned to the half-built Christmas town dirty and hurting and bandaged, and told them that She was no longer a threat. And She wasn't, for a thousand years. So long that the three had mostly forgotten that time, and who and what they were then, and what Her name was. But the mephit reminded them of a name she was called, Queen Night.

The mephit also complains about Gurt, after a long list of rhyming and alliterative names as he counts up how many came to assault Christmas. Gurt is his boss, and an annoying true believer, always yelling "Blood on the snow!" and "The Night is long, ans She is without mercy!" and other obnoxious preachy nonsense. According to the mephit, most of them were there because it's a job.

This is gonna be too long if I keep typing out this much of what happened lol

Okay, so they go into the workshop, seeing a plume of black smoke toward the center. They poke around, find some presents which they open, rolling on a table with stuff like healing cookies, coal, gold pieces, and magic items from the end of the adventure document. They also murder the crap out of some frost goblins, smack talk some snow sprites, and make their way to the central room of the top floor, the main workshop. Giant circular room with huge vaulted ceilings, and a massive ethereal mechanical clock set into the floor.

By this time I've interjected a few int saving throws, sometimes when the story demanded it, other times as a devil's bargain to let them push their abilities beyond the scope of the rules. So, when they face off against Gurt, 3 goblins, and 2 mephits, and Cookie casts Spiritual Weapon to summon a spectral candy cane, and gets the kill shot with it after juicing how far she could move if as part of her turn to she can hit with it this turn by making an int save for me, I describe to her a memory of coming for Santa Claus, she of the black iron sword, worked but unforged, primeval death, and him besting her and showing her mercy, and setting her loose protecting the elves and other folk of what would become Christmas. As she came to from that moment, the candy cane spiritual weapon darkens and turns into a blade with no hilt, made of dark unforged iron, melding into the sword in her hand, ribbons of blood making a dark candy cane pattern against the black blade.

There is a bit with a giant christmas tree that is a mimic, which I chose to have it be friendly and eager to eat goblins.

Rudolph has a moment of memory as well, but makes his save and so isn't pulled deep into the memory, but recalls moments of charging into battle pulling a chariot, a 12 foot long spear with a blade of black ice flying over his head.

The party moves on, and almost passes a locked door that leads to the chamber of an old friend. Jack in the Box. The team recalls (I tell them) that Jack is an ally, but is also dangerous, and his gifts are often ambiguous. They decide they have to take the risk, and go in. I sang the melody of In The Hall of The Mountain King as Falafel cranks the lever to the ancient box, and finally an eerily slender figure emerges from the box, and is quite pleased to see his old friends. he asks the group what they want for Christmas (even though that doesn't come for almost a year!) they have trouble deciding, and Rudolph asks for the ability to fly at-will, which he has lost over time. Jack asks him if he recalls the battle of Icingfell Gulch, and as Rudolph starts to reply, i ask him to make an int save at disadvantage, and he fails it badly.

Rudolph relives a memory of flying into battle with Santa on his back, straight into the face of a massive frost dragon, ramming it with his glowing antlers and Santa stabs at it with his great spear. We see Cookie, wild and dark and extremely scary, jump onto the dragons head and stabbing at it, and then Rudolph gets his back hooves onto the dragon's lower jaw, and with a great bellow rips the dragon's head apart. As Rudolph shakes off the memory of dragonsblood and the fierce wild joy of battle, he realizes that he is large, and the power of flight is fully his again.

The others get their requests in, Cookie gaining a belt of giant's strength and Falafel asked for something that would help him stay safe, and then asked about a wizard hat, and Jack became very excited, and reminded Falafel that jack had tried to give him a wizard's hat centuries ago, but falafel had been taking himself much too seriously back then. He gives him the hat he'd kept for hundreds of years (which reads Whizzard on the brim), and tells him that it will let him cast a fairly simple spell at-will, gaining a signature spell per the wizard class feature. The party is only level 5, but hey it's a one-shot. He chooses scorching ray.

jack also says something to him that makes him remember how they first met, and Falafel recalls a memory of the day he fled from Queen Night with a stolen Jack, pursued by hunting wolves and nightmares of the Deep Night. At a narrow pass, a massive polar bear of a man stands, nearly 8ft tall and broad like an immovable wall of physical might, calmly holding a spear twice his height. Falafel tries to run around the man, and I ask him what he thinks he was in ancient times, because the player hasn't quite given me as much to work with as the other two in this regard. We bounce some ideas back and forth, and come to a sort of jack frost trickster of the deceptive ice and snow flurries that make wandering in the winter so dangerous, and that people called him The Cutting Ice or something like that. As he tries to dash by the big man, Santa catches his eye, and time slows to a crawl around them, and he asks Falafel, "How would you like to go to a place where I'm building a home, where you can stop looking over your shoulder and decide who you really want to be?" and Falafel nods, Santa asks his real name, and assures him that his own name is very silly. Falafel tells him and Santa grins a grin so warm it's like the sun of late winter reminding you what a sunny day feels like, and tells him his own very silly name. and then asks him to stand with him here, in this pass, and stop running. They stand shoulder to shoulder, and then back to back, and Jack pops out and murders nightmares like he's playing with toys, and the three of them butcher the pursuers, and leave blood on the snow.

Falafel snaps out of his reverie to find blades of ice forming on this clothing, and hair, and basically anywhere close to him.

Blood on the snow. That phrase keeps coming up. As they leave Jack's room, mildly disquieted (i'm not doing jack justice here, I was a bit scary in this role I must say, but in a friendly way), they are ambushed by several snowy bugbears, and I let them simply narrate how they cut them down in moments, no need to roll anything. They're beyond the need to worry about simple bugbears, now. Again.

The party moves on again, going down the stairs to reach Santa's office, which is bright and warm and safe, and they are able to gain the benefits of a short rest while the do research into the Queen of Night, and other related stuff. They find out that her name is Eldara, that she is the sister of Myra Claus, and that she is the darkest hour of the longest night of the year, while Myra is the dawning hour, when night has not quite succumbed to day, but the terrors of the deep night have passed. They have a third sister named Vesper, who is the twilight hour of dusk.

The also remember collectively some of what Santa really is, about what blood on the snow means, how midwinter was once a time of blood on the snow to bring the spring, a time of fear and cold and finding the hard will to persist and survive to see spring, and now it is Christmas, and places like the office they're in. A time of hope and joy. They remember what Santa means, and I let them know that in this place, steeped in their memories as they are, they could learn what none of them evr knew. What was Santa before Christmas? They all agree to avoid that.

Lots of useful items are collected, some sillier than others. They become aware that they could choose to go back to the selves they started the adventure as, or they could lean into falling back into their old selves, and they notice that in an umbrella basket there are two items. The first is the spear Santa used to weild, etched every inch with cryptic runes where once it had been smooth black ice, but still an artifact of a younger and darker Claus. The other is a warm, fur lined, red and white coat. They debate for a bit, raising arguements about necessity, about the point of all of this, about choosing who you want to be, and they choose to take the coat to Santa, rather than the spear.

As they leave the study, they lose the gifts of old memories, reverting to the forms they had chosen over the centuries, but keeping the magic items they'd picked up along the way, including winged boots! We all agree they are for Rudolph.

they descend, and find Eldara chanting and holding a mistletoe staff in a circle of white runes, and the Clauses surrounded by a matching circle in the center of a round chamber deep under Christmas, where Santa keeps his secrets. Falafel remembers helping Santa build this, so long ago, but is unbothered by the memory, having become immune to the stunning reveries of the journey here. There are 4 glass orbs at the compass points of the room, that power the rune circle.

Cookie casts Vortex Warp, and Eldara fails her save, and I lament not modifying her stat block to be legendary. She is teleported out of her protective circle, and I call for initiative. First up is Falafel, who shoots scorching rays at the enemy, and the group finds out that fire and radiant damage they deal does double damage because they chose the coat over the spear. The party is now very excited, and as the battle rages they fairly get Eldara down over about 3 rounds (Rudolph throws around a ton of fire and radiant, including a custom spell we made together called Exploding Sun, which is a radiant fireball, and the orbs smashed, but they find that as Eldara falls, the Clauses are covered in ice and then animated by the ice, becoming monstrous ice creatures. Cookie throws the coat over Santa, and hugs him, and I ask her to roll 3d6 warmth damage. Soon enough Santa is freed, and he reaches out his hand and the motion seems to make his spear exist in the appropriate space, and he slams it on the ground. The ice creature animating his wife leaves her, bows to Santa, and turns into inert water.

Rudolph casts spare the dying on Eldara, and Santa approves after Rudolph reminds him that Christmas is a time of joy and hope, and giving people a chance, and choosing who and what you want to be. After all, the Deep Night is necessary, and weren't all of them once beings of the cold dark? So Santa pulls a tin out of his coat, and opens it, and as steam rises from the fresh baked cookies he hands it to Eldara, who stares at it unblinking, seeming to have dissociated in shock.

Santa gives a small speech basically summing up the point of the story (which developed organically from the interactions at the table), and we cut to the next night, and the main workshop is acting as a great feast hall, with everyone present, including Eldara.

And that was it. We talked about the feast, had a little RP talk, and I wrapped up with a narration befitting a christmas story, and we called it a night.

45th session of Monte Cook's 3E Banewarrens campaign run with Shadow of the Demon Lord on Owlbear Rodeo. Five player characters at level 8.
  • Dwarf Executioner/Berserker/Warrior. He now wields the sacred Axehammer of the Lost Clan.
  • Elf Librarian/Wizard/Magician. Outcast from elven lands, raised in Ptolus, keeper of a dark secret. His magical traditions are Arcana, Teleportation, Chaos, and Fey.
  • Goblin Pyromancer/Oracle/Magician. Responsible for the destruction of his tribe. Specialized in the Fire and Forbidden magic traditions, with a dose of Divination.
  • Changeling Dervish/Spellbinder/Rogue. Created by House Vladaam to replace a child they kidnapped and held in servitude. Naturally, she wants revenge. Two weapon fighter with the Battle tradition.
  • Human Defender/Paladin/Priest. Cleric of Lothian, the primary god of Ptolus. His magical traditions are Life, Theurgy, and Battle. His murdered wife was has returned as undead and now he seeks to stop her.
The characters used potions of flying to ascend the Baneheart -- the hollow cylinder inside the Spire rising nearly 3000 feet high. There were numerous Vault Doors to explore, but they bypassed them all. In the adventure as written there are several artifacts here the characters might want to obtain -- or prevent others from obtaining. But the players have come to believe that the best way to thwart their enemies is to lock down the Banewarrens -- permanently. And swiftly. How? By obtaining the original Bane Key -- the Key of Making -- from which all the other keys were duplicated. With that, they can destroy the other keys and seal the Banewarrens forever.

So they flew to the top of the Baneheart until they arrived at the location where the Dread One, Eslathagos Malkith, was defeated and destroyed 3000 years ago. Here, there were signs of an ancient but mighty battle -- scorch marks, holes blown in the walls, and a collapsed set of warrens. Within the warrens was a floor with a blackened, burned-in image of the Dread One -- the very spot where he fell. And laying there in easy reach was the Key of Making. As they approached, the black outline peeled itself off the floor and coalesced into a shadowy silhouette of the Dread One. He spoke to the paladin in the voice of Danar -- the man the Dread One was before his corruption and fall. He claimed they had common enemies -- the evil factions that were looting the Banewarrens. He offered them the power to destroy those enemies and save their loved ones. All they have to do is let him possess one of their bodies. What could possibly go wrong?

Next session: Battle for the Key!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
It went really well. It was the second session tackling "The Isle of the Abbey" for my "Revenants of Saltmarsh" campaign and we introduced a new player/character who seems like a good fit right off the bat. Unfortunately, the already too short session was cut shorter by baby drama (sometimes only papa will do when it comes to putting baby down for her nap and she doesn't care that he's in the basement running D&D). At least it did lead to ending on a great cliffhanger.

Reynard

Legend
First Session of a New Campaign!

I started a Starfinder: Fly Free or Die campaign last night, with a group that is about 50% new players to me and to each other. About half have played Starfinder before but most are at least familiar with Pathfinder. We are using Fantasy Grounds Unity for the campaign. We ended up with two Session Zeros, so this was our first session where we actually got to play. After character introductions we ended up with just under 2 hours of play time, which got us through the initial scenes and first combat. It went very well overall and I am excited to get to know the players as well as see where the game goes.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Diggy Diggy Hole!

Playing Night Below. The party wasn’t faring too well against the shadow dragon but had wounded it pretty good by this point. The dwarf ranger had horrible luck rolling all night. Right before this photo, the dragon dimensioned doored. But the dwarf has wings of flying and said he tried to grab the dragon and ride with it through the DD. He made a str check so I allowed it. On his next turn, while sitting on the dragons shoulders, he had his moment.

He yelled “I am a dwarf! Diggy diggy hole!” And swung his pick axe down towards the dragons head.

He rolled a nat 20. Then on our critical chart he rolled again. Another nat 20. It was epic. And a grand way to finish the fight. We will remember this battle for a long time.

This is why we play the game. Hasbro execs should take notice. AI can’t handle one off cool ideas like that. Neither can a fully integrated VTT (so far). In person gaming is still valuable, not just from a functionality standpoint, but epic moments like this are much better face to face where you see expressions and share high 5s.

1675440025971.png

Richards

Legend
In today's "Dreams of Erthe" campaign session, the PCs:
  • Got their half-orc paladin/cleric true resurrected, at the cost of nine extra days of travel
  • Awakened an archaeologist from his dreams of trying to figure out an ancient puzzle lock
  • Helped the archaeologists lug heavy rocks away from a potential entrance to an ancient gnomish settlement inside a maze of twisting canyon passages
  • Fought a dire wolverine that attacked them from inside the entrance, quickly knocking him out
  • Battled the ghost of the gnome druid who had summoned the dire wolverine in the first place, eventually driving him away and through another cliff face
  • Followed him through a still-intact illusory wall to a gnomish workshop, where a pack of six shocker lizards now laired
  • Got caught up in the shocker lizards' lethal blast, which activated three objects in the gnome workshop: a spider construct, falcon construct, and a clockwork dragon
  • Easily overcame the smaller constructs, but needed several fireballs, scorching rays, a black tentacles spell, and a summoned celestial bison to keep the clockwork dragon from killing the PCs before they could deactivate it through damage (the dragon came very close to killing the half-orc who had died last adventure)
  • Fought a brine ooze that had been alerted by the sounds of battle
  • Cast speak with dead on the gnome druid (whose body was inside the tomb just past the entrance where the dire wolverine had been summoned), learning that the gnomes of this village had been slain by a virulent disease that caused them to bleed from their facial orifices shortly after trying to help a "round-eared elf" who had staggered into their canyon suffering from heatstroke
  • Figured out that the "round-eared elf" encounter happened at around the time humans had first been documented on the continent, thousands of years ago
  • Put the gnome druid's spirit to rest, since none of the PCs or archaeologists had come down with whatever disease the "round-eared human" had carried into the gnomish village
  • Determined the disease had likely been magically designed by elves to only affect gnomes, since the elves had chafed under the gnomes' restrictions on magic use - they forbade the creation of undead, for one thing (in this campaign, the gnomes were the original spellcasters, teaching magic to the other races)
In addition, they met up with a wandering female human bard who had been aiding the archaeologists but opted to accompany the PCs, specifically to study lutecraft under my nephew's human bard/rogue PC. (He's decided bards are boring as PCs and so I've brought in a "standby" who can inspire courage for the group, freeing him up to do cooler stuff each round.)

Johnathan

46th session of Monte Cook's 3E Banewarrens campaign run with Shadow of the Demon Lord on Owlbear Rodeo. Five player characters at level 9.
  • Dwarf Executioner/Berserker/Warrior. He now wields the sacred Axehammer of the Lost Clan.
  • Elf Librarian/Wizard/Magician. Outcast from elven lands, raised in Ptolus, keeper of a dark secret. His magical traditions are Arcana, Teleportation, Chaos, and Fey.
  • Goblin Pyromancer/Oracle/Magician. Responsible for the destruction of his tribe. Specialized in the Fire and Forbidden magic traditions, with a dose of Divination.
  • Changeling Dervish/Spellbinder/Rogue. Created by House Vladaam to replace a child they kidnapped and held in servitude. Naturally, she wants revenge. Two weapon fighter with the Battle tradition.
  • Human Defender/Paladin/Priest. Cleric of Lothian, the primary god of Ptolus. His magical traditions are Life, Theurgy, and Battle. His murdered wife was has returned as undead and now he seeks to stop her.
The climactic fight at the end of the campaign has begun!

The characters are in the Baneheart, the hollow core inside the Spire that towers over the city of Ptolus. They have found the obliterated remains of the Dread One, the evil lord that once ruled over the continent, and taken from those remains the Key of Making. With that, they can seal the Banewarrens forever. But they're not the only ones who want that key...

The session started with the remaining power of the Dread One manifesting as an ominous shadow shape that tempted the characters with their deepest desires. They all refused. Then the dwarf berserker charged in and started swinging. The Dread One's intangible form took half damage from all attacks. He had a reaction attack that increased in accuracy and damage each turn. And he had a possession ability that the characters were able to ward off thanks to some well-timed buff spells. The elf wizard had a new and amazing spell that let him roll back time, thwarting the worst of the Dread One's attacks.

In the second round of combat the mind flayer leader of the Pactlords arrived. He mind blasted the goblin oracle and an NPC ally. Both made their saves. The elf wizard and the human paladin attacked the mind flayer. The mind flayer was there to steal a Bane Key from the characters, use it to open a sealed vault door, and unleash a magical plague that would wipe out the city.

Now the fight was dividing between two locations. The mind flayer floated thousands of feet high, just a few inches from a walkway that encircled the interior of the Baneheart. A door accessed from the walkway led to the hivelike chambers where the Dread One's remains were found.

The goblin oracle, changeling spellbinder, and dwarf berserker focused on the Dread One, trading blows.

On the walkway, the mind flayer used its mental powers to force the human paladin to jump. The paladin used his last Fortune Point to succeed on his saving throw. Then the mind flayer telekinetically pulled the elf wizard close and ripped the Bane Key from around his neck -- until the wizard used a spell to roll back time and rewrite history. The wizard's sprite ally shot the mind flayer with a sleep arrow. Then the wizard used his time powers to cause the mind flayer to fail the saving throw. The mind flayer began to drift downward, unconscious and effectively out of the fight.

Suddenly, the paladin's pack ripped open. Out popped the evil pixie the characters had defeated a few sessions previously. The pixie was an agent of House Vladaam, the evil nobles which are enemies of the changeling spellbinder. And the pixie wasn't alone. Because the scions of House Vladaam, Nevanna and Aliastar, had scried her location and teleported into the Baneheart. Like the mind flayer, the Vladaams wanted the Bane Key to open a vault door. But they sought the Black Grail, an artifact which would allow them to rule the city. Aliastar used a spell to snatch the key from the paladin. Then, the three of them leapt off the walkway, plummeting down deep into the Baneheart, to where the Black Grail awaited.

Meanwhile, the Dread One finally succeeded in possessing a character -- the changeling spellbinder. The changeling hated the Vladaams for what they did to her in the past -- and the Dread One now hated the Vladaams for trying to take the artifacts that belonged to him. Infused with the power of an evil demigod, the changeling turned toward the Baneheart...

Next session: The Black Grail.

PS: Yes, it was an epic session.

Stormonu

Legend
In tonight's session (my wife's campaign), our group was travelling to another section of the city we are in that was under siege by minotaurs. Unfortunately for us, the minotaurs were waiting for us, and they ambushed us on a narrow causeway, roaring at their displeasure in invading "their" territory. The cleric, druid, warlock and fighter took on two minotaurs while my thug rogue attempted to draw one off using his Cunning Action to dash past them deeper into their territory and down to ground level, hiding to ambush either one that followed. Neither did, though my character discovered two more minotaurs nearby (I was able to hide before being found).

The party got hit for a lot of damage by the two minotaurs, downing the druid before the rest of group was able to take care of the two minotaurs. I missed most of the fight, waiting in ambush for the other minotaurs to respond to the combat above us. Eventually the two other minotaurs moved to join the fight. I was able to ambush one of the minotaurs, though not deal enough to kill it, but draw it after me as I retreated towards the remaining party members. The druid was revived just in time to use spike growth to finish off the minotaur I had wounded, then used thorn whip to pull the other through the spike growth and off the side of the causeway, forcing it to climb around and back up to the causeway (and have to go through the spike growth all over again). Needless to say, he didn't make it back close enough to harm us before we finished him off.

Overall, though the fight started off slow and uninteresting, it quickly became a fight for our lives. Only once we whittled the minotaurs down to one remaining did it become a foregone conclusion and we could all breath a sigh of relief as we took a moment to recompose ourselves and move on towards our goal. The fight took the entire session, and was pretty good in the end.

Remove ads