D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
My last session was one long combat in Avernus [minor spoilers ahead], but with an interesting character point. In this group, we're playing through Avernus, fairly deep into it. We're having a battle vs. a certain necromancess, and my high elf who had been counterspelling (successfully through much luck until that point) was
Banished.

The DM described me appearing on a grassy field, a few miles from Candlekeep. And hinted strongly that a particular "use in case of great need" item could get me back.

But he's telling me about how the air tastes after the blasted hellscape of Avernus, and I just lay back on the grass to enjoy my brief respite.

As it was, I was there less than 12 seconds (I only lost one action), but still - my elf has been reminded of the real world and what they are fighting to return Elturial to.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Just finished up, and we left it mid-battle for what might be the first time in 5e.

It was my Delta group. They've been exploring this underwater pyramid, and tonight, they finally found the undead (death knight) king's lair. They attacked him, but one of them had been snared by a trap that left him charmed by the king for 8 hours, and he immediately turned on the rest of the party.

Upon attacking the king, five wraiths and two margoyles joined the fight (margoyles, if you don't know, are basically a tougher, stronger version of gargoyles). The pcs looked like they were going to have an easy time of it at first; the monk stunned the death knight on round one, before he could act, and the party took him down before he got a turn.

Buuuuut....

Okay- so the bard/sorcerer hit him with a chill touch, which didn't hurt him, but did set the party up for a surprise. See, this is one of those bad guys who just can't be killed unless you figure out the trick to him. If he is at 0 hps at the start of his turn, he regains half his hit points. But the chill touch prevented that for one round. So they didn't realize it until they'd gotten cocky and gone in hard against his minions for a round or two. Then, suddenly, the death knight rose up and cast destructive wave, and the pcs were in trouble.

They realized there had to be a phylactery or something similar at work, and after several rounds, surmised that it was his crown (are they right? I'm not telling). The monk grabbed it but it wouldn't come off his head until he went down again- but then, the charmed pc hit him for like 25 points of (sneak attack!) damage and dropped him, and before anyone could do anything about it, the king rose up and put his crown back on.

By this time it was after midnight, and we called it for the moment, with the monk down, most of the pcs very badly injured, the death knight back at half his hps, the charmed pc ready to kill to protect his king, and the party having figured out a degree of strategy- namely, use that chill touch again! Stop him from getting up once he's down!

They also have a friendly couatl with them, shapechanged into a shark.

On the bright side, the pcs aren't even there to deal with this death knight. They're there to find one-third of a map, which they found on the king's desk while frantically searching for a way to stop the king. So they have what they came for, if they can get out with it.

This is one of the most desperate battles I've run in 5e. The pcs have dispatched one of the margoyles and two of the wraiths, with the rest of their foes in bad shape, but they're getting low on spell slots, especially high level ones, and the death knight has a TON left, hasn't even used his Abyssal blast, and nobody has made any real effort to break the charm on their rogue/wizard buddy.

I'm excited to see how this ends up!

pemerton

Legend
We played a session of Prince Valiant.

The PCs are three knights. Two are father and son, respectivelyi the Marshall and Master of the holy order they founded, the Knights of St Sigobert. The third is their friend who has ended up travelling with them, accompanied by his wife who is the daughter of the Duke of York.

They were travelling with their warband through present-day Romania on their way to Constantinople, heading ultimately to the Holy Land to fight a holy war. The session started with them arriving at the Black Sea coast in various degrees of exhaustion and dishevellment (following checks to make their way overland without too much trouble).

They got on well with the Byzantine border forces (successful check) and took ship to Constantinople. Their ship was attacked by a "drgaon" (a giant crocodile) which knocked two of them into the water. One was abe to kill it by striking it through its soft underbelly (mechanically he succeeded on a check to swim down beneath it, which then enabled him to spend a Storyteller Certificate to Kill af Foe in Combat). They then took the body with them to Constantinople, where they were welcomed as dragon-slayers, gifted the body to the Emperor (and his taxidermists) and did homage to him. He presented them with gifts and (after they had rested in fine pavillions outside the walls of the city) he had the PCs and their warband ferried across the straits to Anatolia.

They decided to head along the coast to eventually reach the coast north of Cyprus. But they ended up heading inland when they heard news of an incursion by Huns. They met a Gothic count who was leading his under-equipped force out to confront the invaders and agreed to help. But then the count insisted on leading the charge against the Huns on the morrow. This was resolved as social conflict, and the Grand Master found himself relenting (ie his player lost the conflict). But the Marshall was very unhappy - knowing that they were outnumbered more than 2:1 by the Huns, the PCs (and their players) wanted to bring their superior command skills to bear. They also knew that his forces had very poor morale - one of his camp followers was making a point of how poor the count was, unable to meet his debts or to pay for provisions and equipment. The third PC tried to counter her influence on the count's troops but with no success (ie his player lost that social conflict).

So the PCs decided to head out for a night-time assault which would obviate the need for a charge on the morrow.

Their scout struggled to find the Huns, so it was close to dawn when eventually they came upon the Huns revelling in a village they had assailed. The players came up with their plan of assault (splitting their forces into 3 units, to be commanded by the 3 PCs). Their plan worked - they rolled well on their various Battle checks and routed the Huns and took their leader captive. They also took possession of his fine arms, armour and warhorses.

When the count turned up later in the morning he saw that his work had been done. One of his knights, who had joined with the PCs on their night-time raid, sought and received release from his service to join their Order. Upon returning to his camp it became clear that somehow the camp follower who was hostile to him had acquired his debts, so that she was one of his principal creditors. The PCs decided to buy the debts from her, so as to have the count beholden to them. The third PC's wife - the daughter of the Duke of York - did the bargaining (being the only person in the PCs' entourage with Money Handling skill) and managed to get them a good deal of one-and-half pennies in the shilling (ie they paid 2 gp for the right to be paid 16 gp).

The next time we play this game I think they will try and reach Cyprus.

Tallifer

Hero
Two players loved it; three players were turned off.

I made an elaborate underground shrine with pillars bearing mystical markings related to various heroic and antiheroic archetypes. Each pillar corresponded to a room with some hidden treasure. Various traps and mental attacks. The three more experienced and jaded players felt it was an artificial set-up to dole out magic items Monty Haul style: they could not have cared less about the mystical lore; but the two more wide-eyed players lapped it up.

Libramarian

Adventurer
One of my players has graciously been writing a campaign journal for our Roll20 campaign. I've obtained permission to share entries here.

The system is my own set of house-rules for B/X D&D. I use additional spells and magic items from the AD&D 1e DMG.

The band of adventurers consisting of Naeric, Glognar, Anersccaf, Ludek, Galdar, and Russ awaken in a cave on the tallest hill of the Stoneheart Forest. Upon examination of the cavern and the narrow passage heading deeper inside, the band decides to pursue this route into the dark unknown. With a steady pace, the group finally reaches a cliff with a sharp drop and they slowly descend, leaving the faithful steeds Mark and Melko behind.

At the bottom, they find a vast chamber and a shallow lake. To the right of this lake, water flowing down from the ceiling pools into a stream rushing downwards into the tunnel and over the edge of another cliff, forming a waterfall. To the side of this precipitous drop, the band finds a round wooden door. And like most doors that prohibit passage or escape from the other side, they find that this door has a keyhole. With no other recourse for getting through the tunnel and down the steep and slippery climb, the band’s resident nimble-fingered gentleman rogue attempts to open this door with lock picks. In the meantime, Russ explores the lake to see if there is anything of interest. Finding none, he returns to the group in time for Ludek to achieve success in his endeavor. With a click of the lock, the formerly immobile door swings open and diverts the rushing water into a side tunnel.

Without the water, the climb is much less perilous and the band heads down with significantly less dexterity required. At the bottom of the tunnel, they find that the passage splits three ways. The party decides to head left and soon finds themselves in a chamber with a pool in the middle emitting an eerie, bluish light. Finding that the luminous liquid sticks to surfaces, the group decides to use it to mark their passage through the caves.

Farther along the tunnel, they find a chamber with nine trees growing from large earthenware pots, with channels of water flowing underneath each tree pot. An angry muttering fills the room, but the band is unable to tell if it is the trees, the moss, or an echo of some other sound originating in the corridors beyond. Suddenly, a branch grabs Naeric by the neck. Finally finding the source of the grumbling, the party readies themselves to attack the trees that are slowly climbing out of the pots. After much bashing of branches and trunks, two sleep spells, and a torch lost, the group is victorious.

With persistent footsteps, the band reaches another passage with no way around it other than through a murky stream. Passing through this, Russ and Galdar find huge black masses attached to their legs. Russ burns off these leeches, and they both find curiously painless wounds where the masses were. Anersccaf eventually runs out of the effulgent goo marking their way, but they reach a section where they could pass without being submerged in the water. They light another torch, walk on, and find a steep upward slope where the interior of the higher level cannot be seen from the cave bottom. Ludek climbs this slope and finds four stirges buzzing over a pile of bones and scraps. With a bellow from Glognar that’s exactly as resonant as what the party expects from the boisterous dwarf, the insects are lured away from the slope and down to an ambush and subsequently – their end. However, these raucous activities seem to have attracted more beasts from the southwest tunnel, this time in the form of giant rats. With a series of attacks from the undaunted adventurers, the last of the rats explode in a red mist, and once again there is silence in the cavern.

Free from disruption, the party inspects the treasure found: gold, 20 arrows, 3 longswords, a set of lockpicks, and clothing: three pairs of boots and a cloak. Glognar tries them on and swings the sword to see if they are mundane – but alas, they are. At the far corner of the top of the slope, the elven members of the party and their keen senses spy more treasure: 2 glass bulbs with spores, and a sling made of supple, onyx black leather. Eager to keep moving, the party stores the newfound hoard in their packs, and moves on.

Lighting another torch, they see a woody growth dividing a stream, similar to the cavern where the murderous trees were. Thankfully, there are no trees, and they head on into the darkness and finally into a large cavern. Looking up, they see dozens of pods like hornet’s nests hanging from the ceiling. To make matters worse, deep into the darkness the band hears grumbling and shuffling from a tall form. Moving closer, they see that the form seems to be a gigantic fly-man hybrid and it is smearing fluorescent goo on the pods. The fly-man turns to the group and without hesitation, they attack. Anersccaf fires the sling found earlier and realizes it has an enchantment that helps with aim and damage. With subsequent blows from the rest of the band, the giant fly-man collapses. Fearful of what may be in the pods, the group smashes open one, and find a half-formed stirge that had been the bane of their existence since that fateful night at the village of Crimmor. At the rate that the band had been finding beasts in this cavern, they decide to destroy all the remaining pods to not take any chances of these awakening.

Off the side of the large end of the cavern, they find a room with stone walls that bulge and warp into melted wax-like shapes and patterns. Against the wall, they find a scroll cabinet and a bookcase with smoked-glass doors. The stream that had been cutting its way all the way through the cavern floor leads into a grate in the floor, with the water crashing noisily against rocks below. Beside the grate stands a round desk carved in the same bizarre patterns as the walls, papers and scrolls strewn about. The desk chair is a massive piece of carved wood, obviously not intended for a human. On the desk are documents filled with scientific and mathematical formulae expositing the process of giant insect cultivation, as well as a piece of paper containing the word “Fahoorth”. Deciding that carrying scrolls would be easier than carrying dead bugs, the group decide to take the scrolls as proof they have slain the enigma responsible for the stirge scourge of Crimmor.

Moments later, they realize the prematurity of their discussion at the arrival of two more giant fly-men and a wizard. They seem to have found the true source of the giant insects, and to the band’s dismay, these sources were angry. With a magic sling, longsword, crossbow, and mace, the band charges at the room’s presumed residents with relative success. After a battle involving sticky webs, a charm on Glognar, an illusory wizard, and Galdar’s near brush with death, the band vanquishes the evil posse and survive another day in the cavern.

The mages of the group then searched the wizard’s scroll cabinet and bookcase in the hopes of finding spells to learn. They are elated with success at finding powerful incantations, but regrettably find something more – a curse to fear trees that will affect Anersccaf for 6 days, but will lamentably distress Naeric permanently. Exhausted from the long day, the bold band prepares to rest despite the uneasiness brought about by the ominous cavern room.

Zardnaar

Legend
First session since March. Had 6 players and I ran MCMLXXV adventure from Quests of Doom.

IMG_20200617_205216.jpg

Bad angle couldn't squeeze everyone in and I was up against the wall.

Adventure is old school, a bit of wilderness exploration. More exploration than combat. 3 encounters, 3 bandits, ogre and pet bear, 4 wolf spiders. 6 other non combat locations explored.

Took along 6 precons but picked up a pair of randoms who were awesome.

Everyone was relaxed, great session everyone seemed to have fun.

2 warlocks (1 hexblade)
GWM fighter
Light cleric
Halfling Rogue
Wood Elf Monk.

Reynard

Legend
Just finished a session of Avernus. At the end of the last session they learned the location of the Hellknight crypt and decided to head to it. They had to cross the Styx though and rather than go down to the docks they decided to Dukes of Hazard it in the demon grinder they boosted from Mad Maggie.

They did not make the jump but through clever use of water walking, feather fall and gust of wind they survived with their brains intact. Their stolen infernal machine is at the bottom of the Styx however.

After that they had a but of an argument about what to do next and some revelations regarding deals made with The Hidden Lord. (In my Avernus campaign the devil in the shield is the former Duke of Avernus and is helping the PCs defeat Zauriel so he can have his old job back.)

Their argument lasted too long so I had a pair of glabrezus emerge through an abyssal gate and attack. They beat them but expended a lot of resources and now a patrol from one of the Styx watch towers is bearing down on them. On the upside the patrol is driving so they may bet a replacement vehicle.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
So in our ongoing game of Mork Borg (a Doom Metal OSR Game) I have been playing The Voice (a 3 HD NPC), chameleon skinned servant of Lord Ristin (Wretched Royalty - a PC) who seeks to unseat The Shadow King. While exploring a moon themed tomb the group ran across this large flesh golem with 9 eyes on its face and a wraith like being performing a ritual. We also found one of our missing party members, Yuri (a bicycle messenger who crossed over to this realm) tied down to a stone slab.

Quillniche, our Fanged Deserter (real fangs people), helped voice untie Yuri. The group then discovered a secret door through this bookcase to an alcove with 5 chests. Our brave Lord Ristin discovered a rod with arcane properties. He tried to use it unsuccessfully and coated the room in magical darkness that had a sickening presence.

Everyone quickly ran out of the secret room and we had come under the watchful gaze of the flesh golem. After we rushed out The Voice attempted to sneak to the wraith and stab it with his spear. He was successful, but disintegrated.

The others engaged the flesh golem, tearing it open and exposing a still beating heart. Yuri was being crushed by flesh golem, but was able to get a hand free to grab his mace and made it go splat. Black ichor from heart burned into the remaining party members.

The wraith/lich thing now was quite peeved from being stabbed. The party made a run for it, but the wraith opened up a portal to the land of dead. Poor Quillniche fell in. Running back to the center of the dungeon the party was greeted with a new day and a new sign of the impending apocalypse (actual mechanics - 3 more signs and the world ends).

In the morning two werewolf brothers show up along with Felban The Unbroken (Wretched Royalty), my PC who is now a werewolf after jumping in a magical pool during the ritual that made these two brothers into werewolves. The things we do for power.

End of Session.

Remove ads