D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

Session 91 of my mashup of Storm King's Thunder and Tyranny of Dragons/Scales of War/whatever. The player characters are trying to destroy Manshoon and all his clones because the Zhentarim is responsible for the giant raids across the North. This is the epic climax and I've split it into three adventures occurring simultaneously. The main attack on the true Manshoon is being handled by the PCs. The other two missions are in the hands of NPC allies that the players will control.

In this episode, the characters have teleported into the laboratory where Manshoon's clones are created and held in statsis. One PC is a 15th level elf arcane trickster rogue. All the other players were playing 11th level NPC allies: a drow blood hunter, a human assassin rogue, and an elf archfey warlock.

They were all disguised as Zhentarim. I kept forgetting they were in disguise and had foes attack when they probably should not have. Major DM fail. It started from the moment they popped into the laboratory's teleportation room when they were attacked by flesh golems and a brain in a jar.

The laboratory had a few big reveals. Forty sessions ago, the characters had fought Zhentarim agents in Waterdeep--and they discovered those agents were actually clones when the characters saw their duplicates patrolling the laboratory. They also discovered that the laboratory has a self-destruct mechanism in case the clones ever gain independent thought and rebel. They eventually arrived at the main chamber where the clones are held in stasis.

The chamber was a huge circular room with a descending shaft in the middle. Looking down the shaft, the characters saw literally thousands of clones in glass tubes. Guarding the shaft was a beholder with a rider. Initiative was rolled.

In all my years of D&D I've never fought a beholder, either as a DM or player. And, it turned out, neither had any of my players. So this was fun. Beholders are actually solid solo monsters because they fire 6 eye rays per round--and each ray can take out a PC. Eventually players are going to fail their saving throw. The assassin rogue leaped onto the back of the beholder and knocked off the rider into the shaft (but the rider was saved by the beholder's telekinetic ray and soon rejoined the fight). However, the rogue was knocked out by the sleep ray--twice. The archfey warlock was hit by the petrification ray and, failing multiple saving throws, was turned to stone. Then the warlock was hit by the distintegration ray and turned to dust. "Huh," said that player, "I've never been killed before." At that point I thought a TPK was a real possibility but eventually the PCs rallied, defeating the beholder and its rider.

I expect one more session in the laboratory and I've got a doozy of a twist up my sleeve.

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
In all my years of D&D I've never fought a beholder, either as a DM or player. And, it turned out, neither had any of my players. So this was fun. Beholders are actually solid solo monsters because they fire 6 eye rays per round--and each ray can take out a PC. Eventually players are going to fail their saving throw. The assassin rogue leaped onto the back of the beholder and knocked off the rider into the shaft (but the rider was saved by the beholder's telekinetic ray and soon rejoined the fight). However, the rogue was knocked out by the sleep ray--twice. The archfey warlock was hit by the petrification ray and, failing multiple saving throws, was turned to stone. Then the warlock was hit by the distintegration ray and turned to dust. "Huh," said that player, "I've never been killed before." At that point I thought a TPK was a real possibility but eventually the PCs rallied, defeating the beholder and its rider.

I don't know if I have run one either as an actual combat. I've had one or two NPCs as a beholder, but it didn't turn into a battle (nor was it intended to; more like, Oh crap! RUN!) Although yesterday in the mail I got that awesome, awesome Nolzur's pre-primed beholder. Have you seen that model? It's amazing.

S0xmB4S.jpg

I don't know if I have run one either as an actual combat. I've had one or two NPCs as a beholder, but it didn't turn into a battle (nor was it intended to; more like, Oh crap! RUN!) Although yesterday in the mail I got that awesome, awesome Nolzur's pre-primed beholder. Have you seen that model? It's amazing.

S0xmB4S.jpg
Niiiiiice.

According to Kobold Fight Club, the fight with the beholder and rider (a CR12 Warlord) was just a shade over Deadly. Normally, with characters of this level, that means they would hardly break a sweat. But in this case there was one character death and -- if I'd played a bit more ruthlessly -- more were likely.

You should definitely take the beholder for a spin. I think it would be a lot of fun with your tactical playstyle, especially with terrain built to favor the beholder.

The beholder seems like a good solo-ish boss battle for Tier 3 characters.

Libramarian

Adventurer
Gratifying. I had a new player who praised our game's pace. Apparently it's hard to find a nice, quick game on Roll20 where everyone is paying attention, not dozing off at their keyboards.

This made me think (not for the first time) that running a game is like riding a bicycle - speed facilitates speed. There is a death spiral when things bog down, because as people get bored they pay less attention, slowing the game further and boring others.

Reynard

Legend
Short. I not happy with. I was suppose to finish Descent. Two did not show up due wanting to play magic. One was over worked and had to catch up on sleep. So I had finish the hard cover with only two people, They enjoyed the game.
You couldn't push? Or did the reasoning by the missing players make you decide to not bother? I would be disappointed as both a player or DM with that kind of finale, I think.

jasper

Rotten DM
You couldn't push? Or did the reasoning by the missing players make you decide to not bother? I would be disappointed as both a player or DM with that kind of finale, I think.
The two players who wanted to play, said they wanted to play. As we all six players had agree to run on that day, and most agreed to start a homebrew on Fridays after Chapter 5, no I did not fell like cancelling. I have some experience of players saying they show then cancel. So I played on, if the ones that switch game systems were upset, so be it. I understand the sleepy one.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Preppy.

Not in the "docksiders and Izod shirt with the collar popped up" way. In the "we intend to go deal with a dragon and needed to buy equipment" way.

It included the statement, "Willyouhelpusgokilladragonweboughtyoulongunderwear!"

We have three PCs, none of whom is a cleric. There is one NPC cleric in town who might consider going with us, but it being hazardous duty, we needed to convince them to come. I had already managed most of the outfitting, which included gear for said cleric, in case they agreed to come. The above was our Eladrin Caretaker Sorcerer, who is the only one of us to actually have charisma. She is charming, but sometimes a bit enthusiastic.

Worrgrendel

Explorer
You should try the online options, they're quite good.

Yeah, for me it's also as much about hanging out with my RL friends and letting our kids play together for 4-5 hours every other week and D&D sorta happens for most of those 4-5 hours. Plus there's been other RL stuff for our group that has gotten in the way as well sans pandemic. I've looked into online play but have a hard time justifying ignoring 2 x 7 year old's for gaming when they don't have anyone else to occupy their time while that would be going on.

Remove ads