D&D General How Was Your Last Session?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The goals in our last session were... muddy.

Because we were in a huge swamp, trying to save some people who had been captured by lizardfolk. As we were attempting to free those people, we met the reason they had been captured - a big honkin' troll that, instead of regenerating, did necrotic damage to people near it. We helped the lizardfolk fight it.

The captured people were the lizardfolk's attempt to appeas the trolls. So now we have to fihgt two more of the necro-trolls to get the people free from the lizardfolk.

109th session in my Tyranny of Dragons/Scales of War/Storm King's Thunder mashup. Player characters are 19th level.

This session was unusually straightforward compared to the craziness of recent months. Basically, the players had to stop a Cult of Tiamat plot to ritually murder an ancient silver dragon. They plane shifted to the sacred temple where the dragon lived. Scouting it, they quickly discerned that the defenders had been slain and abishai had seized the temple. They infiltrated the temple...poorly. It was simply not the players' night for making sensible, coordinated plans. Regardless, they arrived at the cavernous chamber where the ritual was being performed. They attacked the abishai, an ancient blue dragon arrived, and lots of fun was had by all.

Next session: The ancient blue dragon uses its third and final legendary resistance, probably.

Last edited:

TheDelphian

Explorer
2 players playing 2 characters each.
player 1 - Hobgoblin Bard Soldier and Dwarven Monk Hermit
Player 2 - Eladrin Warlock Noble and Wood elf Cleric of Umbril (Tempest cleric) Courtier

Now at third level they travel with the caravan and get attacked by some ogres. One with a chain, one using an arbalest and a normal one.

Fight goes fairly well with the caravan guard holding the ogres busy allowing the characters to deal with the chain one first which takes a few rounds then the monk chases the arbalest ogre who had stayed well away. The others dealt with the ogre with guard help.

The monk gets himself killed by the ogre who managed to negotiate an escape and left.

Part carried dead monk to city and cut a deal with the temple of Moradin to raise him under contract and debt of 1k gold and one mission. They are forced to join adventurer's guild as part of the contract so they could take a cut of their payment to go to the temple and could make additional payments. Deadline is 6 months.

They accept a job to explore and clear a mine tunnel which is basically a dungeon crawl/ hex crawl sort of space. No particular direction required since the tunnels branch so not quiet a dungeon but that environment but more go this way fight this choose different path find this etc.

They find an "Accepting" inn for the Hobgoblin. inn is run by what appears to be an Ogre (Uga) and a Kobold worker (Bobo)

On the way to this the had a street fight with some animated armor and swords that burst out of a shop. (A distraction rigged while a robbery was going down. Characters still investigating)

They interrupt a meeting between Kobolds and someone who had sent Gazers as scouts. It was a fun fight as the kobolds where at range on a shelf and gazers floated so interesting. Best part was the hobgoblin failing DC 5 check to climb ladder up to ledge. like 3 times. When he finally makes it one of the kobolds Spartan kick him off the ledge and almost kills him with near max fall damage. Later the last kobold (Same one who kicked him off) jumped off ledge taking only 3 pts damage and tried to escape if he had made the acrobatics check he might have.

Next encounter three chockers (Mated pair and child). Tough encounter since they started to drag the Monk away to eat later. They head out to surface and get paid.

Yes the Monk catches a lot of damage and such. He is the front line for the group and my dice hate him. I roll in the open so the players know it is just the dice not me.

The party is extra tough since let them roll stats for fun. To be fair the stats can be shared, you can use whatever set was rolled even someone else's. So stat line everyone used was 18, 17, 15, 14, 14, 12. So sort of broke but I can handle that. I can adjust on the fly enough to still challenge them. It just lets them be good at things they didn't specialize in.

pemerton

Legend
On Sunday we played a session of Classic Traveller (write-up here).

This was (at least I think it was) the conclusion of a heavily exploratory phase of play. The PCs concluded their excavation and exploration of an alien pyramid complex embedded in 4 km of ice; and the incipient conflict between their group and the team of NPCs they were cooperating with - over the propriety of psionics - broke out in full force.

Melbourne is now returning to a form of normality, and so this was also my first face-to-face session since February (the rest of the group had met face-to-face in June, but I'd zoomed in to that one). It was good to see the gang in real life!

TheDelphian

Explorer
Played last night Same bizarre party. They are 3rd level. The monk is an astral self one, the Bard is one from exploring eberron a commander sort of bard, warlock is fathomless and pact the tome.

They decided to take a new job to get some travel in. Below the Hill dwarven city is a long valley of rolling hills (Think mid west) Populated by Halflings, Gnomes and Hill dwarves mixed together who provide food, wood and other supplies to the city. They have a main road that travels the length about 40-50 miles. Unfortunately the lands around the valley are populated by friendly and unfriendly creatures, humanoids, and other potentially dangerous things. Some of it is unexplored for the most part.

So when they get to Crossroads the first town down the mountain from the city they hear about Notch Brow the Goblin who has been giving the local farms trouble. This is the Goblin from their first two fights who escaped. The town ask for their help recognizing them as the ones who defeated him before. With a local guide showing them the suspected lair the ambush the goblins killing two standing watch but one still sounds the alarm further down the cave.

A long difficult fight occurs and the players see how painful area spells hurt after I hit them with two erupting earth's from the shaman. And the Leader Notch Eye (Has a scar over one eye, notching his eyebrow) Has made a pact to an Old one so uses his magic to blast PC's. The magic took the players by surprise a little. It was a tough fight. After leader is hurt he pulls a lever opening an escape route and flees.

Party finishes up killing every one and then searching before taking a long rest to regain some health. Leader does the same.

The then search the opening they saw him flee in and notice it is only half finished so they pry it open (It is counter waited so closes unless someone holds it open) to find the Goblin leader in his incomplete escape tunnel. so they go after him (only about 10 feet deep). Rough fight (Mirror image worked well for the goblin) but he eventually is killed though he did hex the character holding the door open and watched him fail strength roll after strength roll not able to keep the door open. finally two characters had to do it because even after a short rest they were hurt and the goblin was still dangerous enough to not want to leave two trapped pc's with him if the door closed.

But they won got their first magical treasure.

They return to accolades and a small reward including an old family treasure map one farmer gave them.

They travel down the road 4 days without issue and reach the end. Then follow directions to find the "Archeologist" group that have lost contact with the city. Their first job, second one is south of this one.

No one has survival so they actually get lost the first day and manage to waste two days going in circles to arrive back at the road and recognized land marks to start again. During that they suffered an ankheg attack that didn't do much. Couldn't hit the grappled character

so off deeper into wild country. Two days ends with a night time assault by a bunch of Gnolls. 3 Flesh renders, 5 hyenas, 6 gnolls, and one pack lord. neither is surprised.

It is a long protracted fight with me rolling really well with several crits then my luck fades and the PC's then get lucky but ended with two pcs having gone down and barely back up and other two PC's about to go down.

One PC who is ranged (The warlock) Ran away not realizing the hyena's were trained to run down escapees so they surrounded her running past other party members and saw how nasty pack tactics is.

So that was the night mostly

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Last night, we played a Fate-based session of Space: 1889.

"I don't seek to be the Tyrannical Xombie Queen of the Venusian Night, but needs must..."

That pretty much sums up the session.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
It was fun and short. I asked that they bring in their own mini. Two things from Pokeman. Cobra Commander plastic mini. And I didn't recognize the rest. And rest some of them were bigger than a five foot square. Some didn't do their homework as their + to hit/spell attack was off. Others are still figuring out which die to use.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well they sailed from Sasserine to Telchos. They knew 3 red mantis assassin's had been sent after them.

Rolled 3 random encounters for the boat voyage so worked in an assassin stow away.

Various acts of sabotage and mischief ramping up the frustration factor.

Let them encounter the assassin eventually when they cornered it after one if them almost got killed due to surprise round (NPC assassin stats, casts spells as level 3 wizard plus wildshape into preying mantis).

They killed it and it was a Simic hybrid from the Ravnica book. They know one of the elven houses are into biosculpting.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
My last session was a beginning.

A group I've been playing online with lost a player, leaving the bunch of characters rather unbalanced. So, after some discussion, we put together a rather more balanced party, and started again. Last night was a bit of session zero for us.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
New campaign set in Greyhawk. We played the Fantasy AGE version of Death in Freeport. The PCs (dwarf mage, dwarf warrior and human fighter). They managed to play halfway through the adventure.

An awesome AGE stunt moment happened for the warrior. He triggered a success with 6 stunt points. With the same attack he was able to disarm his opponent (2 stunt points), knock him prone (2 stunt points) and intimidate him (2 stunt points) into revealing who hired him to kill the PCs. All three bonus actions were subject to opposed rolls.

Remove ads