D&D General How Weird Do You Like Your D&D

Scribe

Legend
I think the problem with this is that D&D has become so famliar that it doesn't seem weird any more.

If this isnt weird... (note, I love this as Spelljammer is meant to lean into the weird!)

Weird.JPG

I'm an 11 on Weirdness, and a lot of other things.

Of course, just being an old school DM allready makes my game quite "weird" to nearly all modern, and much younger gamers. Then throw in killer DM, randomess and I make the game for the players, not characters. So the weird fact is already quite high.

Though it does seem like most games by others are not too weird in comparison.

I make my game a bit more "historically accurate" for the time era, and not the generic modern view that is typical used for most games. This alone is too "weird" of a lot of gamers. Of course a lot of this is also that a lot of gamers are set in the American view.

Mundane things, but even more magic things are made quite bland by the rules, even more so the D&D rules mechanics. The character shoots and arrow or creates a blast of fire or a ray the polymorphs, is just a dull mechanical action. The fire shoots out for ten feet and does 1d6 fire damage.

A LOT of players find things not mentioned in the rulebooks "too weird". A large tree in the forest casts no shadow, and climbing up the tree triggers it's portal to the Shadow Plane. Players have been confused for hours with the "tree climbing portal" that makes no sense to them.

Its all weird.....

Fifinjir

Explorer
I seem to be more of a fan of weird things treated mundanely than most. A mimic house that all the villagers avoid is one thing, a mimic house that the villagers have entered a symbiotic relationship with is some real “we’re not in Kansas anymore” stuff.

Thunder Brother

God Learner
Fairly grounded with strong moments of weirdness. Although what is an isn't weird can be a matter of perspective.

I have been tempted to go full weird fantasy at times, with a setting/campaign mashing up Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Ultraviolet Grasslands, and the Graham and Roy run of Prophet.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Most of my campaigns have an element of weirdness to them, even Greyhawk. Spelljammer lends itself to cranking up the weirdness to 11. Dark Sun is a different kind of weird from regular fantasy settings. Eberron is pretty weird too.
Weird is kind of hard to quantify though. You can have farm realm/ abyssal incursion horror weird. Feywild/Sidhe shenanigans weird. Or the unsettling strangeness weird of Innsmouth/Watership Down/AI generated art. Gonzo weird is the easiest to overdo and the line between just right and overdone is invisible and constantly moving. When it is just right it is EPIC, but it can quickly devolve into Monty Python quotes and Warner Brothers cartoon antics.
The best weird is offset by the normal, banal, world. Weird is spice, not the main ingredient.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I like my setting weird as most generic fantasy has been done and has bored me.

I do not get why people are contrasting weird with grounded, mundane and grounded are not the same, related sure but not the same.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases