D&D 5E How well can you make your favourite character?

n00bdragon

First Post
Uh... you can still improvise an action with a fighter reasonably well?

Just because you don't have a maneuver called "Push" doesn't mean you can't push an enemy into the reach of another ally...

-YRUSirius

This is exactly my problem. The rules don't let me do anything of the sort though. Any rules for Doing Cool Stuff (tm) are strictly at the whim of the DM. I can't make meaningful judgements about my chances of success or the actual effects of my actions. I can improvise without rules. Anyone with two braincells to rub together can do that, but what rules actually encourage me or reward me for doing so? None. The only rules the game rewards the fighter and the only action it explicitly allows him to do without Mother-May-I DM permission is to hit things in the face until enough numbers fly out of their head.

YRUSirius

First Post
I'm sorry, but don't use that awful mother-may-I expression. You can work with your DM to improvise your action. He is NOT your antagonist.

Btw there are no rules for breathing either. That doesn't mean that a fighter can't breathe without asking the DM. Some things SHOULD be ruled and worked out WITH the DM. The "How To Play" and "DM Guidelines" docs state this pretty explicitly - even to the players. So you work out what you can expect and how the rulings for the game will be. The DM is just the moderator of the constant big picture in the process.

Again: The DM is NOT your antagonist.

-YRUSirius

Last edited:

I am amused by how on the WotC boards, this topic has people talking about characters, suggesting builds, and the like. While here on ENworld the topic has descended into a DM May I debate.
I'd have put money down that the reverse would happen...

(and given we're looking at little more than the baseline rules designed to emulate earlier rules lite versions of the game, aka Basic D&D it seems premature to really be having this debate.)

Obryn

Hero
I don't really get to be on the other side of the screen much, but I'm dying to see a thri-kreen brawler fighter I threw together in action. 100% unarmed, multiclass monk; jumps on enemies, grabs them, and hauls them away from the fight to make his kill.

... Needless to say, none of the mechanical ingredients are in Next yet. :)

-O

MortalPlague

Adventurer
In 4th Edition, I played a Cleric of Sehanine named Pohtep. He was a Zealous Demagogue (Paragon Path), both in path and in personality. He had strong mental stats and average physical stats, and his spells excelled at controlling enemies and debuffing them, with the occasional ally buff.

In 5th Edition, Pohtep can be modelled very well. His stats are no problem. He worships the trickster-aspect of Sehanine, which grants him Channel Trickery and Deception. In 4th, his armor granted him the ability to go invisible. In 5th, Channel Deception offers him the same ability. He also gains invisibility as the spell once he reaches 3rd level. He had (and used regularly) an encounter power called Command, which is now a spell in 5th. He also had Hold Foe, which is easily replaced with the Hold Person spell.

There are some places where 4th Ed Pohtep is more effective than the Next version, however. 4th Pohtep could use Moment of Glory to give his whole party damage resistance 5 for a whole encounter, while 5th Pohtep cannot match that. Also, 4th Pohtep could choose a creature who everyone could gain +5 to damage against for a whole round, while 5th Pohtep has to settle for using Bless or Aid to give everyone a bonus on checks. But overall, the spirit of Pohtep remains very close to the character.

Hussar

Legend
I think the discussion about Warlords is going to be something that comes up a lot.

One of the biggest innovations in 4e was the out of turn action. Granted, you do have out of turn actions in other editions (Attacks of Opportunity from 3e, for example) but, they were very limited and often it wasn't something you could initiate.

4e breaks that mold. In 4e, it's not unusual for a given player to act on his turn, on an opponent's turn and on an ally's turn, all in the same round. And, the player could have initiated all three of those actions, if they are reactions of some sort.

Which brings us back to the warlord. One of the people at my table commented that when you play a warlord, you don't play just a character, you play the entire party. And to some extent, that's true. A warlord shines by using the other characters in the party.

If Next does not allow for out of turn actions, then the warlord concept, as envisioned in 4e, isn't possible. Yup, I could push a target next to an ally. However, that ally doesn't get to attack - or take any other out of turn action. He has to wait until his turn to take an action. If the opponent goes before my ally, it's entirely possible for that action to be wasted - he simply evades the ally, stepping away, and I'm out an action.

Now, if by "improvise an action" you mean that I, as the player, can say, "I'm going to push that orc into Bob's character and shout at Bob to attack him" and Bob gets a free attack, then, no fuss no foul. But, I highly, highly doubt any DM would do this without very explicit rules for it in the books. As an improvised action without any mechanical backup? IMO, highly unlikely.

Klaus

First Post
Barbarian - Fighter (Slayer)/Guide/Survivor
Bard - High Elf Rogue (Rake)/Minstrel/Hedge Magician
Cleric - Many Flavors
Druid - Cleric (Stormcaller)/Guide/Hedge Magician
Fighter - Many flavors
Monk - Many flavors
Ranger - Rogue (Scout)/Guide/Sharpshooter
Rogue - Many flavors
Warlock - Cleric (Trickery)/Sage/Skulker
Warlord - Fighter/Soldier/Mystic Healer
Wizard - Many flavors

Runecaster - Mountain Dwarf/Wizard/Artisan (Blacksmith)/Polearm Master
Bladesinger - High Elf/Fighter (Duelist)/Knight/Hedge Magician

Sure, most aren't perfect fits, but they're good enough starting points.

Remove ads