• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How were you introduced to RPGs?

How were you introduced to RPGs?

• Through friends

Votes: 78 40.2%
  • Through family

Votes: 41 21.1%
  • Through work colleagues

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Commercial organised game event (conventions etc.)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Private organised game event (game club open day, LGS session etc)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Through another type of game (CCG, MMORPG etc.)

Votes: 14 7.2%
  • Followed up an advert or out of curiosity

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 34 17.5%

Dice4Hire

First Post
I was introuduced tothe gmae by a freind when I was a bout 8-10 years old, and I remember being confused on how there could be a castle and trees .... in the dungeon. I thought at first it was a game wehre we pretended that we ourselves(or RL selves) got sucked into a dungeon.

I still think that is a cool scenario.

My church ran some games also soon after, and my school had an RPG club at the time, but I mostly played with my brothers at home, and the friend above. I did not have a real group till I hit university, back in 1987.

Since then, expect for a 2 year break when I came to Japan( my books were home and I thought I was done with the hobby), I have been playing ever since.

Quantarum

First Post
Saw some guys playing basic D&D in Junior High. Came across them in the library and asked what they were doing, they asked me to play and I was hooked. Within a month I had taken over as DM. I still get that chill of expectation and it keeps me coming back for more. -Q.

catsclaw227

First Post
In 1978, we had just moved across country and I was starting 7th grade at a new school in a totally new environment (small town in South Carolina to hip upper-middle class Southern California). My mom bought me a new AD&D DMG and PHB.

The picture of the Efreeti on the cover of the DMG got me immediately. That book also had the smallest print of any book I had owned to date.

I didn't get to DM a game for a few months though, when I wrangled a couple of guys in my apartments to let me DM some encounters in a small dungeon I made. It had rot grub, two orcs, and a potion of speed. :D

amysrevenge

First Post
Went to a new school for high school, joined up with an existing group by early October. I have no exact memory of first broaching the subject (was I invited, or did I ask to join for instance?), but it was very natural for me. Zero to king of the munchkins* in about 2 weeks.

*I still hold my own in the realm of munchkinnery, but I am very much a big-fish-small-pond sort of king. I can't compete with the pros of CharOp.

samursus

Explorer
I see I am the first in the Organanized Event Category.... I think I was 10 or so (1981) and was introduced to D&D through a club at the Boys and Girls Club....

darjr

I crit!
I first saw kids playing with, what I now know, the Holmes boxed set. It was a hand me down from the owners older brother. The older brother had graduated to AD&D. I couldn't stop talking about it and annoyed my parents until they purchased the Moldvay box for myself. My older sister, unbeknown to me had already started an AD&D game.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Other.

We had been playing the board game "Verlies" a lot with a copy from our library. When I read in a board game magazine that "Verlies" had been canceled I desperately wanted to get my own copy and drove hundred of kilometers through the countryside; board games were usually sold in toy shops also carrying bicycles and baby outfit.

When I had no luck I read the announcement again and noticed that the English version, called "Dungeon" would still be available. The ad of a mail order shop offered this game and I ordered it immediately, only to realise that I had order a game called "Dungeons & Dragons" instead. Being too shy to admit my error I decided to wait and see, and several days later a shiny Red Box arrived at my home. The rest is history...

Meridius

First Post
One of my friends ran a website, and she had a little RPG on it. I participated but it was mostly dead. That sparked (renewed) interest, as I've been reading up on RPG's earlier.

Later, another friend suggested our group of people should start a D&D campaign, and she envisioned me as the perfect Greatsword-wielding barbarian... :p

About a year later, the idea actually became reality, and her boyfriend started to DM a game. Our first game was actually played out in the 'lunchroom' of the university-building we where attending at. Some of us had evening colleges so we used it as I time fill. I was hooked. I got myself a standard 3.0 Dwarven fighter who became (in-)famous for dying numerous times, smashing his weapon to bits regularly (annoying house rule made to pester those (me) who ignore 2-19 and only roll 1 or 20) and on one occasion for slamming a Bugbear straight through a wall (was a low level campaign, and a weak wall), which gave a LOT of satisfaction for something imaginary.

The game ended due to people quitting due to time constraints. 2 Years later I started my own campaign. Which now has mostly the same group, and a couple of new additions.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
I found the old 1E Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide in the local public library when I was eight years old. I checked them out and read them, and the concept of a fantasy role-playing game amazed me. Unfortunately, it was nearly a year before I was able to find a game. Some teenagers played a game in the conference room at the library over the summer and they let me watch, but wouldn't let me play (at first). When players started dropping out, I got in and the rest is history.

Stuff looked cool in the store, so I bought some (Red Box and Lost City).

First group play experience was soon afterward in an after-school class run by a local teenager. The group was just me, someone who dropped out half-way through who I don't remember, and another kid who wound up being one of my best friends for 20ish years.

Remove ads