How were you introduced to RPGs?

How were you introduced to RPGs?

• Through friends

Votes: 78 40.2%
  • Through family

Votes: 41 21.1%
  • Through work colleagues

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Commercial organised game event (conventions etc.)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Private organised game event (game club open day, LGS session etc)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Through another type of game (CCG, MMORPG etc.)

Votes: 14 7.2%
  • Followed up an advert or out of curiosity

Votes: 21 10.8%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 34 17.5%

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
I voted other. Technically, my first exposure to D&D was the Red Box set that a neighbor that I didn't even really like brought over to my house and gave to me. We played once...and I wasn't sure what to make out of it. It took a long time and it was kind of confusing(I was 12 or something at the time).

Then I was reintroduced to D&D on a message board on a BBS(Bulletin Board System for those who don't know...what we used to dial into before there was the internet). There was a play by post game going on. I played for a couple of weeks.

Then, I was talking to a guy on my BBS that I ran who wanted to run a Robotech RPG on my message boards. We started talking about RPGs and D&D, and he invited me to his house in order to join his group. So, my first "real" D&D experience was with a group of people I'd never met before. That's why I didn't vote "friends".

theskyfullofdust

First Post
I was introduced to D&D 1st Edition by my dad, way back when I was a mere 8 years old and already engrossed in reading fantasy books. It was a family game, uncles and my aunt mostly, and lasted for over a decade before real-life broke us up; then I carried the torch and introduced brothers and friends to it (and we still play today).

Remove ads