D&D 5E How will the playtest of D&D next go at XP?

Gundark

Explorer
What will people who attend D&D XP be able to see? Will they NDA people? Will the public not going be able to see what is shown at the convention?

My guess is they will get the basic core without any add ons. We'll see roughly how the basic engine works, what a basic character looks like, etc.

thoughts?

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
I have confirmed with someone who is DMing tables at D&D XP that anyone sitting down to play a table of D&D Next will have to sign an NDA.

It won't stop someone from leaking info but they have to put in the legal protections of the NDA if they need them...

Shrug, if you are going to be part of the ongoing playtest you are going to have to sign one anyway. Just a quicker way to do it.

If you have some objection to signing a NDA document, then don't playtest at D&D XP. There is going to be plenty of 4e gaming going on there (Ashes of Athas, LFR, etc.) to fill your entire con experience.

Really a non-issue.

My two coppers,

jbear

First Post
So they won't be starting the "general Playtest" at/after D&DXP then? Do we know around when we are likely to see a start to the general playtest or is it still up in the air?

Gundark

Explorer
I am really surprised they are doing NDAs. Info is going to leak. Iwould have thought that WotC would have controlled what people saw rather than trying to cap info that will get out anyways.

I am really surprised they are doing NDAs. Info is going to leak. Iwould have thought that WotC would have controlled what people saw rather than trying to cap info that will get out anyways.

The info os leak and IF they take any legal action against a leaker it would be a PR disaster... I really can't understand this NDA thing.

enrious

This.

I can't for the life of me believe that WotC seriously expects that information to remain private, so it seems pretty silly to even bother with the NDAs.

I would say it was a publicity stunt, except they don't seem to be taking that angle.

Gundark

Explorer
This.

I can't for the life of me believe that WotC seriously expects that information to remain private, so it seems pretty silly to even bother with the NDAs.

I would say it was a publicity stunt, except they don't seem to be taking that angle.

Also assuming the public playtest is only a few months away it seems like more trouble than its worth.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
There will be two types of leaks for the most part.

The negative leak, people who hate what they see, don't want it to happen and bad mouth it because they have nothing to lose because they don't want to part of the new edition. These will be made up of folks that hate WotC, have an axe to grind, the eternal edition warriors, and so on.

Then there is what I call the "blabbermouth" leak, the guy or gal who is so damn excited they just can stay quiet about it. Its like being around Mike Mearls when he starts talking about the game (I speak from personal experience, when I was last at D&D XP Mike loves to talk about D&D, I had a long chat with him in hall one night). These folks just cannot help themselves.

The NDA can be used on these guys but its not really that effective.

But, it's not just about leaks from the fans...

There is another class of player at D&D XP. They are the guy and gal that works for another game company, freelance for other game companies, writes for a retro-clone, dreams about making their own RPG, etc.

Here is where the NDA saves your bacon. If someone turns around and incorporates elements of D&D Next into their product or work from what they see at D&D XP, WotC has legal grounds to go after them. As it should be. They are putting huge resources into this, they don't want to lose or lessen the benefit from doing it.

So, why not just ban those guys from the tables? Not really a smart thing to do, and do you know everyone that is going to work on something in the game industry? If WotC is serious about bringing the community together and having 3rd party support for their new game, then other game companies and their employees/freelancers will need to be part of the process. Its not just players that will make D&D Next successful. You DO NOT let your potential competition see the goods without some protections in place.

Again, you have a choice. You can sign the NDA and go see what the fuss is about or you can not sign the NDA and go play D&D 4e to your heart's content at D&D XP. Dem der da rules. Are you in, or are you out?

My Two Coppers,

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases