D&D 5E How will the playtest of D&D next go at XP?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I suppose it doesn't stop him from joining the public playtest . Assuming no NDAs there.

If they go that route, we'll be swimming in information. Have they said there will be a no-NDA public playtest? I had gotten the impression that they were just calling their NDA'd playtest a "public" playtest in that it is open to anyone from the public even if the details wouldn't be public.

enrious

The playtest's the thing.

And NDA or not, it's going to be leaked.

Would have been much more intelligent for them to control the release of information. Doing it the way they're doing it means that there could be some anti-WotC bias hidden in the leaks, whereas officially releasing it allows for pro and con commentary, where such biases can be easily seen and evaluated.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
The NDA is both marketing (you the privileged few) and protection from the OGL inspired D&D 3 16/8 ed. Someone at Hasbro is convinced that someone will release a game that copies the amazing trade secrets contained in an early beta. This does not bode well for a loose GSL or OGL lite for VEd.

enrious

The NDA is both marketing (you the privileged few) and protection from the OGL inspired D&D 3 16/8 ed. Someone at Hasbro is convinced that someone will release a game that copies the amazing trade secrets contained in an early beta. This does not bode well for a loose GSL or OGL lite for VEd.

I believe you'll find that game mechanics can't be copyrighted, so I think the NDA having anything to do with other publishers is a red herring - especially given that the info's going to get out anyway and a publisher could simply say that since they hadn't signed an NDA, they were under no compulsion to honor it.

To be sure, there would be other aspects of copyright law involved.

Gundark

Explorer
Well if the public playtest is only a few months off, an NDA to protect their IP from competitors makes little sense. I mean what's to stop a competitor from joining the public playtest and copying mechanics then?

The only reasonable reason that I can think of for the NDA is to stem some of the "OMG THESE RULES ARE TEH SUCK!!!!!" that are going to come. There may be some game mechanics they want to hammer out before the public and the "haters" get their hands on them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases