• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How would I build a Net-and-Trident Warrior?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I wonder if Crossbow Expert is the secret. If you reskin a Hand Crossbow as a Trident you can throw really far, then with Crossbow Expert you can make an attack with a hand crossbow "trident" as a bonus action.

Weiley31

Legend
Hot/Weird Take but I personally think Nets should just count as a kind of Shield that just has an auto bonus of restraining crap. The restrain/grappling part of it should be remodified as being the golden 5E standard of 8+Prof Bonus+Str/Dex Modifier of your choice so that way there is some sort of reasonable scaling.

ECMO3

Hero
Sadly, sharpshooter doesn't apply to thrown weapons as far as I know, even if I wish that weren't true.
It applies to all Ranged weapons (which the net is).

There is nothing in the feat about the thrown property, however it does not apply to melee weapons including melee weapons like dagger and hand axe that have the thrown property.

As far as weapons with the thrown property go, RAW sharpshooter applies to darts and net, which are "Ranged Weapons" and does not apply to dagger, trident, spear, javelin, handaxe and light hammer because they are "Melee Weapons"

Here is the description:

You have mastered ranged weapons and can make shots that others find impossible. You gain the following benefits:
  • Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
  • Your ranged weapon attacks ignore half and three-quarters cover.
  • Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If that attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
It applies to missile weapons (which the net is). It does not apply to thrown melee weapons (or any other melee weapons).

RAW it applies to both darts and net.
So, just to make my take on this little 5E moment clear, I believe you are correct, and I also think it's bloody stupid.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Attacks with other weapon then? I'll admit that the 5E grapple rules are enough of a hot mess that I only paid them cursory examination.
They really aren’t messy. You can use one of your attacks to initiate a grapple, which is a simple contest of the attacker’s Strength (Athletics) vs the defender’s choice of their Strength (Athletics) or their Dexterity (Acrobatics). If the attacker wins, the defender’s speed becomes 0, and can’t be increased above 0. Their speed goes back to normal if the attacker becomes incapacitated, the defender is moved out of the attacker’s reach, or the defender uses an action to escape the grapple with another Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) vs Strength (Athletics) contest.

That’s literally all there is to it, some pretty simple rules for how to establish and escape the grapple, and the effect that a grappled creature can’t move. I struggle to imagine grapple rules less messy than that.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Oh, and RE: Sharpshooter, nets do qualify since they are ranged weapons, but since they don’t deal damage there’s nothing to add +10 to.

Remove ads