• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How would I build a Net-and-Trident Warrior?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Beast master ranger with Sharpshooter and a three-tusked boar named Trident.

Net 'em, Trident charges in for damage and knocks prone. Restrained and prone sucks. Do this only on monsters that have no slashing damage attacks (or have a bunch of extra nets).

see

Pedantic Grognard
I actually developed a specific feat for this, and when I decided it didn't fit in with my project, I put it up on r/UnearthedArcana. To repeat it here:

Retiarius​

You've intensively trained as a retiarius, the school of gladiatorial combat styled after fishermen, wielding net and trident. You gain the following benefits:
  • When you use a trident, its damage die changes from a d6 to a d8, and from a d8 to a d10 when wielded with two hands. (This benefit has no effect if another feature has already improved the weapon’s die.)
  • When you are wielding a net, you have +2 to AC.
  • Neither attacking at long range nor being within 5 feet of a hostile creature imposes disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls with thrown weapons.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
The problem with the net as an item is the low DC to escape (DC10), added to advantage to huge creatures, and low hp (5 hp). Add to the fact that the throw is always at disadvantage because its a ranged attack within 5 ft.
If you're in melee range, why would you throw the trident instead of just thrusting with it?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
If you're in melee range, why would you throw the trident instead of just thrusting with it?
nets are ranged weapons, not melee with the thrown property. Making an attack with a ranged weapon in melee range gives you disadvantage.

Does it make sense? Nope!

They should have been a melee weapon with the thrown (10/20) and the special property.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads