• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How would I build a Net-and-Trident Warrior?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The messy bit is that essentially no creatures have the skills necessary to not get grappled into oblivion. Setting that aside, there's a lot of room for shenanigans in terms of forced movement that D&D otherwise really doesn't go in for. Anyway, the rules are just a bit of odd fit IMO.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The messy bit is that essentially no creatures have the skills necessary to not get grappled into oblivion.
The only skills they need are halfway decent strength or dexterity. And only if they want to run away from you. Since they have to be within 5 feet of you for you to grapple them, they can just continue attacking you unimpeded if that’s what they want to do.
Setting that aside, there's a lot of room for shenanigans in terms of forced movement that D&D otherwise really doesn't go in for.
I suppose.

Weiley31

Legend
Oh, and RE: Sharpshooter, nets do qualify since they are ranged weapons, but since they don’t deal damage there’s nothing to add +10 to.
Wouldn't, technically, Sharpshooter would just make the Net do a flat out 10 damage since it would be the Net(0)+the 10 added due to Sharpshooter?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Wouldn't, technically, Sharpshooter would just make the Net do a flat out +10 damage since it would be the Net(0)+the 10 added due to Sharpshooter?
Nope. The net doesn’t do 0 damage - it doesn’t do damage at all. In other words, its damage value isn’t 0, it’s n/a.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The only skills they need are halfway decent strength or dexterity. And only if they want to run away from you. Since they have to be within 5 feet of you for you to grapple them, they can just continue attacking you unimpeded if that’s what they want to do.

I suppose.
I was indexing silliness like double expertise bards and shizz like that where wafer-thin lyre-playing gnomes can wrestle hippos while strumming a fancy song. Anyway, not a big deal, I've run a bunch of 5E and it's never come up (although I'll admit I've 'counselled' players to avoid grappling builds because I don't want the headache).

ECMO3

Hero
They really aren’t messy. You can use one of your attacks to initiate a grapple, which is a simple contest of the attacker’s Strength (Athletics) vs the defender’s choice of their Strength (Athletics) or their Dexterity (Acrobatics). If the attacker wins, the defender’s speed becomes 0, and can’t be increased above 0. Their speed goes back to normal if the attacker becomes incapacitated, the defender is moved out of the attacker’s reach, or the defender uses an action to escape the grapple with another Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) vs Strength (Athletics) contest.

That’s literally all there is to it, some pretty simple rules for how to establish and escape the grapple, and the effect that a grappled creature can’t move. I struggle to imagine grapple rules less messy than that.
Agree. Grapple rules and mechanics are pretty simple. The difficulty is figuring out oif it is worth it. There is a big downside since it is a lot to give up an attack to try it unless you are pretty sure you will succeed.

However, get a multiclass Rogue with extra attack, expertise in Athletics, hex through a feat (to give them disadvantage) and cunning action dash (to move them where you want) and it can be freaking awesome. This is especially true because it takes you an attack to make a grapple, but takes them an entire action to break it.

I have a 13th level Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger that has all that and it is cool to just put the BBEG where you want him and more or less make him attack you and no one else.

Remove ads