D&D 5E How would I build a Net-and-Trident Warrior?

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Way back in the day I got a bunch of gladiator miniatures, including this guy (not my paint job, it's an image found online):

1635379783601.png

I've always liked the idea of a net-and-trident warrior, someone who throws a net at an enemy and then stabs them with a trident or spear. I've never really found a good way to play one effectively in D&D, though.

5e D&D has nets and tridents. It has fighters and other ways to make warriors.

What would be your take on a character who specializes in net and trident? It could be the literal net and trident from the equipment list, other weapons reskinned as nets or tridents, or even totally different mechanics reflavored (eldritch trident? web net?).

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
5E sucks at both nets and tridents sadly. Now, if the net could count as a grapple, now we're cooking with gas. Although then you're dealing with the hot mess that is the 5E grapple rules. I guess if you're ok navigating those choppy waters that's probably, if I were DM, how I'd handle that in terms of mechanization.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
5E sucks at both nets and tridents sadly. Now, if the net could count as a grapple, now we're cooking with gas. Although then you're dealing with the hot mess that is the 5E grapple rules. I guess if you're ok navigating those choppy waters that's probably, if I were DM, how I'd handle that in terms of mechanization.
Let's hack it then! If we don't go with an actual net and actual trident, what else could we do to get that effect? Hexblade with the Web spell? Rogue with caltrops and fast hands?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Let's hack it then! If we don't go with an actual net and actual trident, what else could we do to get that effect? Hexblade with the Web spell? Rogue with caltrops and fast hands?
Well lets just toss out the net rules completely to start and replace them with some version of a grapple. The base grapple rules allow for auto hits with weapons in the other hand (I'm pretty sure) which sounds about right for this fighting style. So, essentially, if I hit with the net first, you're grappled and then I get a bonus action attack with the trident that auto-hits. Even without anything other mechanical stuff that sounds at least ok in terms of usefulness.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
The problem with the net as an item is the low DC to escape (DC10), added to advantage to huge creatures, and low hp (5 hp). Add to the fact that the throw is always at disadvantage because its a ranged attack within 5 ft.

I think there's something to be done with Eldritch Blast + the various ''move'' Invocation that comes with the cantrip. (repelling, lance of lethargy, grasp of hadar etc)

Maybe of the classes that let's you cast with a weapon: cast spells that control the target's movement thru your net!

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Net counts as restrained, which is better than grapple.
Yeah, but it's really about how you structure the flow of mechanics. Either one works, you just need to extend the mechanics a little to include the trident as a useful bonus cation and work from there (or whatever). Grapple has its own charms in terms of moving the opponent, so it's pretty picky-choosy.

ECMO3

Hero
Way back in the day I got a bunch of gladiator miniatures, including this guy (not my paint job, it's an image found online):

View attachment 145807

I've always liked the idea of a net-and-trident warrior, someone who throws a net at an enemy and then stabs them with a trident or spear. I've never really found a good way to play one effectively in D&D, though.

5e D&D has nets and tridents. It has fighters and other ways to make warriors.

What would be your take on a character who specializes in net and trident? It could be the literal net and trident from the equipment list, other weapons reskinned as nets or tridents, or even totally different mechanics reflavored (eldritch trident? web net?).
Nets are ok. Tridents are below average.

Start with a high strength. Then you want to take a class with martial weapon proficiency and either human or custom lineage and either the gunner, crossbow expert or sharpshooter feat at 1st level to enable you to use your net without disadvantage.

Sharpshooter is probably the best because RAW you can get +10 damage if you take a -5 to the attack when you throw your net. Gunner is probably the second best because of the half-ASI.

ECMO3

Hero
Yeah, but it's really about how you structure the flow of mechanics. Either one works, you just need to extend the mechanics a little to include the trident as a useful bonus cation and work from there (or whatever). Grapple has its own charms in terms of moving the opponent, so it's pretty picky-choosy.
I think it is two attacks and I don't think there is anyway around that in the rules. With extra attack is easy. Throw the net, then attack with advantage if it hits and you make him waste an action on his turn to escape it or if he has a slkashing weapon, you make him waste an attack to destroy it, and unlike you he does not have a chance for advantage on the next one..

If you only have 1 attack it is very limited what you can do with it, unless you have the sharpshooter feat.

Remove ads