D&D 5E How would YOU build Vecna?

Reynard

Legend
OK @Reynard and @Thomas Rainsborough and others, here is my take on the Archlich Vecna. Deity version to come later.
Notes:

1. That image is AWESOME. Source?
2. Turn resistance says Acererak.
3. I feel like Rotten Fate needs a recharge as well.
4. Is the Shield reaction intended to be his casting the Shield spell. if so, make explicit.

More generally: I still don't like a long list of spells I have to look up in the middle of combat. Otherwise I like it. The save boost was sorely needed. I would give him magic resistance, too.

dave2008

Legend
Notes:

1. That image is AWESOME. Source?
Update with source link (I was rushing to post it before I had to run an errand)
2. Turn resistance says Acererak.
Corrected - thanks
3. I feel like Rotten Fate needs a recharge as well.
No needed IMO. It would be a nerf to make a recharge, but if you want him to use his more traditional spells, then sure, make it a recharge.
4. Is the Shield reaction intended to be his casting the Shield spell. if so, make explicit.
It is in his list of spells and noted with an asterisk and note. I feel that explains it, but I clarified it a bit more.
More generally: I still don't like a long list of spells I have to look up in the middle of combat. Otherwise I like it. The save boost was sorely needed. I would give him magic resistance, too.
I agree, but several people on this board seem to want them. I noted all spells with an Asterisk I assumed when calculating the CR and the description of those spells is included in stat block. You get 5 spells described, plus 5 additional unique magical abilities. That seems to cover a lot of ground to me.

Gods are boring and not especially useful for play, so I much prefer the epic level arch lich.
Gods are indeed not supposed to be played. They literally with a raised eyebrow can blink out of existence a char, their kids, their parents, even those who owed the char money. If your eye and hand are so powerful to last an eternity, with the amount of power they possess, yeah, you may not be a good, but you are someone that only 20th level chars should trifle with.

Reynard

Legend
Gods are indeed not supposed to be played. They literally with a raised eyebrow can blink out of existence a char, their kids, their parents, even those who owed the char money. If your eye and hand are so powerful to last an eternity, with the amount of power they possess, yeah, you may not be a good, but you are someone that only 20th level chars should trifle with.
So we stat the thing we want the characters to fight, not the thing that just hand handwave reality. Although I would contend that in MANY D&D world's, the gods are not omnipotent because they take their cues from Western mythological traditions (Norse, Greek, and others) in which there are many instances of mortal besting or at least standing up to the gods.

Remove ads