D&D (2024) How would you change skills in 5.5e

Yaarel

He Mage
The issue with the rp first approach in dnd is that I can act out a rousing speech, that stirs the emotions and ought to persuade the listeners and then the DM calls fir a roll and it fails. My RP is meaningless because of arbitary chance.
For me, a player giving a genuinely good argument or rousing speech means giving an advantage to the check.

Also, the story is considered before any mechanics might happen. Mechanics is only if there is doubt that something might or might not happen.

So, if your plan really is so solid that it there is no real doubt that your plan would work, then it simply does. There is no need to roll a check in that situation.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I'd half consider getting rid of skills all together and consolidate it into ability checks, with one ability getting prof bonus from class and another from background. Expertise gives advantage on relevant checks instead of 2x Prof.
As much as I generally like skills, this is great way to simplify things, which is a goal of mine if I were to every run something like D&D again.

This has the advantage of getting players to think about their backgrounds more, in that one could grant advantage on checks relevant to the character's background.

OB1

Jedi Master
As much as I generally like skills, this is great way to simplify things, which is a goal of mine if I were to every run something like D&D again.

This has the advantage of getting players to think about their backgrounds more, in that one could grant advantage on checks relevant to the character's background.
Yeah, I like skills in theory, but much less so in practice. I think you do give up some character identity by not being able to make someone proficient in say History, Survival, Athletics and Persuasion, but I think the game would run much more smoothly as a whole by switching to this method.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

The disadvantage is that you wouldn't be able to run a PC whose "skills" are associated with different ability scores.

Like the traditional ranger is skilled in

Athletics (Strength)
Stealth (Dexterity)
Survival (Wisdom)

That's not counting
Nature (intelligence)

How many DMs will give a ranger proficiency in all Strength, Dexterity, and Wisdom checks?

Pauln6

Hero
I thought if a barbarian slams someone against the wall, of course they can use strength to intimidate. I'd be surprised if anyone thought that was inappropriate. It's so common though, it should really be listed in the list of skill checks along with common traps locatable via investigation and common traps locatable with perception.

Improvise Action literally lists using intimidation as one of its potential uses.

IA in fact does a lot of legwork for providing for such things, but people just unthinkingly quip mother may I and go back to acting like 5e has no options for this.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Skill Unlocks via Pathfinder. Specific implementation TBD, but Bounded Accuracy shouldn't mean characters don't get better at using their skills, just that their skill bonus stays similar on the d20.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
I'd love to see the return of the Skill Point system. Proficiency Bonus is not added to skills, instead a player can invest up to bonus in any skill on their class list. Multiclasses character simple expand skills list instead of being limited to whichever class they leveled into. Expertise adds Proficiency Bonus to skill. Feats like Skilled now provide additional skill points for each level up equal to the number of skills provided. Background and Racial skills are added to your list of skills and start at 2 ranks each; you must chose to invest point in them on leveling up to increase.

This method means that Bound Accuracy isn't broken.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I thought if a barbarian slams someone against the wall, of course they can use strength to intimidate. I'd be surprised if anyone thought that was inappropriate. It's so common though, it should really be listed in the list of skill checks along with common traps locatable via investigation and common traps locatable with perception.
Again the issue with Variable Abilitiies on Skill Checks is that the 5e skill list wasn't designed for it.

You can't have both Acrobatics and Athletics and swap out STR or DEX. Same with Persuasion and Intimidate and STR or CHA.

The skill list has to be designed for one or the other and will be clunky at anything else.

As 5e is an entry game and designed to be beginner friendly, the best model is to just add skills that using other ability scores.

Add a Browbeat or Bullying skill for Strength intimidation. An Endurance skill for marathon running, treks, and withstanding pain. A Piety skill with religious faith. A Demolition skill for Strength based BREAKIN' STUFF!

5e simplified the list too much. Sure some skills needed to be downgraded to tools or combined into 1 skill. But they cut too much and expanded too little.

I mean there's no Appraisal skill or Haggling skill for a game about selling raided gold, art, and gems.

Remove ads