• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would you describe your style of play?

What is your playing style?

• We pay attention to getting the rules right.

Votes: 31 15.1%
  • Only minor deviation from the rules.

Votes: 81 39.5%
  • Some deviation from the rules, some fast and loose play

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • Many deviations from the game rules

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • Fast and loose all the way. What's a rule?

Votes: 7 3.4%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In the DMG, there is a section that discusses the differences in playing style, in particular that of how much you worry about the game rules, and how much you you play in a more role-playing orientated fashion where the story is more important than the numbers. I think the descriptions there involved things like "Deep Immersion", but I prefer the term "Fast'n'loose"

How would you describe your gaming style?

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Obviously, there are broad groupings on that poll, and two options may not appear the same to both people. Oh well. It happens. :)

In my campaign, there is a fair amount of adherence to the rules in the case of combat, but we deviate a lot when it comes to skill use - especially as regards to skills like Diplomacy and the like.

In those case, the numbers give me a guide as to how good a character is, and we role-play it from there, though occasional skill rolls do allow me to step away and let random chance dictate the outcome.

Cheers!

Crothian

First Post
For the most part we follow the rules, as with all the d20 books we have access to its easy to find something that fits our needs,. However, we are more then happy to toss the rules on their ears (do rules have ears??) if it suits our needs.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The other area where I can tend to play "Fast and loose" is with the monster stats, especially those of NPCs. There have been several occasions when the PCs have gone into places I didn't expect, and I've made things up rather than properly stat them out beforehand.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I thought this might be an interesting poll, as I know that 3E can get a "rules obsessed" look about it from just reading the books.

Hopefully, people will enjoy chatting about their playing styles!

Cheers!

astralpwka

www.khanspress.com
We deviate only slightly, and very rarely. Often the only way for our group to deviate is to create a house rule, then confront the group and get approval. Of course, when you make your own books and campaign settings... the rules are your own anyway...

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
astralpwka said:
We deviate only slightly, and very rarely. Often the only way for our group to deviate is to create a house rule, then confront the group and get approval. Of course, when you make your own books and campaign settings... the rules are your own anyway...

Yes, and I'd call that sticking to the rules. It doesn't matter if the rules are self-created, it's how you follow them that's important. :)

Cheers!

ph34r

First Post
I suppose I could elaborate on my answer some.

We play with only a minor devation from the rules since most people in the group have pretty firm grasp on the rules. The only times we have slow downs is when the occasional odd situation occurs or when people attempt things that seem to always seem to get rusty such as grappling, tripping, etc. Our biggest halt to the game is people talking out of character which doesn't go on for very long before someone makes them hush! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads