How would you describe your style of play?

What is your playing style?

• We pay attention to getting the rules right.

Votes: 31 15.1%
  • Only minor deviation from the rules.

Votes: 81 39.5%
  • Some deviation from the rules, some fast and loose play

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • Many deviations from the game rules

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • Fast and loose all the way. What's a rule?

Votes: 7 3.4%

Ibram

First Post
My current campaign is an orental one that draws on wuxia movies (which the D&D ruleset doesnt handle very well) and as such I'm generaly forced to play it fast and lose with the rules. I suplement this with a large number of home made feats that help the players understand what i will allow.

But then thats something i usualy do in regular games as well.

Sir Elton

First Post
MerricB said:
Ah, but do you like Hercules?

Cheers!

Huh? What is it do you exactly mean by that? Do you mean the person Hercules, or the show Hercules? If you mean the show, then yes. The person, well . . . if he lived at all, he did live over 3,000 years in the past.

At least 50 women enjoyed him, or rather he enjoyed more than 50 women. That question is so complicated for an adult like me to answer without offending Eric's Gran's sensitive spirit. :D

Mystic_23

First Post
I put in "Some deviation from the rules." Not a lot but there are some things we change in the interest of speeding up the game or making something make sense.

If I had been asked this 2 years ago, I would have said "Many deviations". We house ruled the game to the gills (do games have gills?) and in fact our usual DM (who works in a print shop) made and had spiral-bound a book that we colloquially refered to as the "Leroy Rulebook". We found, however, that many of those changes helped to overpower the game at higher levels and they got changed back to the regular D&D rules.

Henry

Autoexreginated
MerricB said:
Oh well. It happens. :)

Quit trying to circumvent the profanity filter! ;)

My group plays with only minor deviation, from the core rules itself or from house rules. Even then, deviations are usually unintentional more often than not (we misinterpret a rule, etc.)

In 2E we used to deviate all the time, mostly because we didn't write down house rules, but rather remembered them as we played them. It was mostly such that if you weren't in our regular group, we'd have to explain the rules as you go along.

I've only run into one gamer like that in 3E - she was so used to her regular group's house rules, that she assumed that was the way it was ALWAYS played. We corrected her only when we figured out that she was using her search skill for spot & gather information, as well. :)

Wombat

First Post
Lots of house rules, XP for playing your character with gusto and style, bonuses for acting "in character", hordes of variant monsters, lopping off of The Planes, homebrew setting, way, WAY stripped down combat, no use of minis, entire evenings where not a single die is rolled...

...don't know if we count as "fast 'n' loose" by your definition or not, because we do use the rules, so I voted one up from there, but for us the rules are there to put a generalized framework around the game, rather than to restrict options available.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Henry said:
Quit trying to circumvent the profanity filter! ;)

It worked, didn't it? ;)

Of course, I didn't even realise that it could be taken that way. Silly me!

In Real Life (tm), I swear extremely rarely. As a result, my words have additional effectiveness when I do lose my temper. :D

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The definition of "Fast and Loose" with the rules:

"The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules."

Oh, to be a pirate! :D

Cheers!

The_Gneech

Explorer
I stick to the rules when I can remember them ;) except on those occasions where they would be seriously un-fun, such as an instant-death moment for one character that I modified into "falls comatose." (He'd already been given negative levels by a spectre and he then picked up an intelligent weapon of opposite alignment -- which would have given him net -1 levels, a fatal condition going strictly by the book. But how lame is it to have a character die because he looted a slain enemy?)

-The Gneech :cool:

Last edited:

milotha

First Post
Fast and loose all the way. Pedantic adherence to obscure rules in the book doesn't equate to fun play. Why interrupt the flow of the game with rules lawyering. Let the GM make a ruling and go on. THe GM's ruling is quick and just as likely to be balanced as the rules in the book. Many of which seem to have cranked out to fill page quotas rather than strongly play tested.

Remove ads