D&D 5E How would you do Yellow Mold in 5e?

Paraxis

Explorer
Not a fan of ability score damage in 5e, for long lasting effects I like exhaustion.

So my yellow mold would be something like.

DC 15 to spot, each patch of 5' sq mold needs to be cleared away with 10 points of fire damage.

Make a Con save DC 15.
Failure = 6d8 damage and 2 levels of exhaustion
Success = half damage and 1 level of exhaustion

Nebulous

Legend
That actually makes for an interesting, and potentially quite lethal, encounter idea! Skeletons, zombies and the like which are dormant, covered in yellow mold, which then animate when the PC's start poking around. I think I'll use that..... :devil:

Yeah, it is NASTY. It's making every little monster pretty much a save or die enemy....

Nebulous

Legend
Not a fan of ability score damage in 5e, for long lasting effects I like exhaustion.

So my yellow mold would be something like.

DC 15 to spot, each patch of 5' sq mold needs to be cleared away with 10 points of fire damage.

Make a Con save DC 15.
Failure = 6d8 damage and 2 levels of exhaustion
Success = half damage and 1 level of exhaustion

I like that too. For that matter, i would like an Exhaustion Track on the character sheet. Especially if I planned to implement it more as a form of damage. Which, i think i will.

aramis erak

Legend
I like that too. For that matter, i would like an Exhaustion Track on the character sheet. Especially if I planned to implement it more as a form of damage. Which, i think i will.

Great Idea... been working on my character sheet, and that sounds like something I should add.

Nebulous

Legend
This is great, but I have to keep in mind that only a long rest normally reduces it by a factor of 1.

Exhaustion Level Effect
1 Disadvantage on ability checks
2 Speed halved
3 Disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws
4 Hit point maximum halved
5 Speed reduced to 0
6 Death

If an already exhausted creature suffers another effect that causes exhaustion, its current level of exhaustion increases by the amount specified in the effect’s description.
A creature suffers the effect of its current level of exhaustion as well as all lower levels. For example, a creature suffering level 2 exhaustion has its speed halved and has disadvantage on ability checks.
An effect that removes exhaustion reduces its level as specified in the effect’s description, with all exhaustion effects ending if a creature’s exhaustion level is reduced below 1.
Finishing a long rest reduces a creature’s exhaustion level by 1, provided that the creature has also ingested some food and drink.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I can pretty much guarantee that MY player will argue that a long rest cures any and all exhaustion levels all at once.

Pretty sure it doesn't cure Step 6: Death.

DM: "Your character dies."
Player: "All good. We take a long rest and I sleep it off."
DM: "You're doing it wrong."

Nebulous

Legend
I can pretty much guarantee that MY player will argue that a long rest cures any and all exhaustion levels all at once.

But to quote myself, what is the validity of that argument? If you're going to use Exhaustion as a legitimate attack, isn't it fair to have it heal more quickly?

Remove ads