• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E How would you emulate a 1E/2E Cloak of Elvenkind?

Kai Lord

Hero
My character has an Elven Cloak, and so far we've just been playing it like the 1E/2E cloaks; you put the hood on, and are rendered almost totally invisible. Last session, I put the hood on and approached a bad guy on a moonlit beach and started blasting him with my bow.

The DM stated there was a good chance he'd see my footprints in the sand. I ended up killing the guy pretty quickly so no Hide or Spots rolls were made, but it did raise the question. So far I've taken it that when the hood is on, you get a +10 to your Hide and can effectively attempt to Hide anywhere, even while standing on a beach in what would normally have been plain sight. Is this correct, or does the 3E cloak only "activate" when you try to use the Hide skill with something to actually hide behind?

EDIT: What spell would best be put into a 3E cloak to emulate "near invisiblity"?

Last edited:

mikebr99

Explorer
The cloak just improves the use of the skill (with it's existing limitations)... you have to have the supernatural class ability of a Shadowdancer to hide in plain sight.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Re: Do Elven Cloaks let you Hide in Plain Sight?

Kai Lord said:
My character has an Elven Cloak, and so far we've just been playing it like the 1E/2E cloaks; you put the hood on, and are rendered almost totally invisible...<snip>...So far I've taken it that when the hood is on, you get a +10 to your Hide and can effectively attempt to Hide anywhere, even while standing on a beach in what would normally have been plain sight. Is this correct...?
No. The cloak only adds a +10 circumstance bonus to your Hide checks. It does not allow you to hide in plain sight. The Hide skill still operates normally. IOW, it does not work the same way as the 2e version.

Kai Lord

Hero
Bah. Another Sacred Cow goes the way of David Caruso. Looks like my character's cloak will henceforth be called an Elven Cloak of HiPS. It didn't break the game then, it sure won't now.

To keep from totally stepping on the Shadow Dancer's toes, I'll probably propose to my DM that the +10 bonus from my cloak is all that is added to his ranks in Hide for purposes of determining Spot DC's to see him in plain sight.

So the +10 will represent a constant "Take 10" in plain sight but he'll never get the opportunity to roll for a higher score unlike the Shadow Dancer.

Crothian

First Post
An Elven cloak helps to hide, not turn one invisible. However, making an Invisibility Cloak would be easy to do by the rules.

Kai Lord

Hero
Yeah, but I like the Predator vibe of the old cloaks, and that's what I want to retain. Maybe I should have his cloak be an Elven Cloak of Blur instead. Is there any other spell that emulates being "mostly invisible"? Not that it matters but doesn't the flavor text in the DMG state that you turn almost invisible when you put the hood on?

mkletch

First Post
Kai Lord said:
So the +10 will represent a constant "Take 10" in plain sight but he'll never get the opportunity to roll for a higher score unlike the Shadow Dancer.

No, make the roll and add 10; its a totally different animal. In any case, even with an Elven Cloak, you can not hide in plain sight unless you a) become invisible, b) succeed in a Bluff, per the skill, or c) take a level fo shadowdancer. In any case, a hide check assumes some degree of cover. Nobody can hide in an empty, open courtyard. Darkness is considered cover for a hide, though, and a shadowdancer can hide in any shadow not his own.

-Fletch!

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
From the SRD:
Cloak of Elvenkind

This cloak of neutral gray cloth is indistinguishable from an
ordinary cloak of the same color. However, when worn with the
hood drawn up around the head, it gives the wearer a +10
circumstance bonus on Hide checks.
Seems pretty straightforward...

Kai Lord

Hero
Ki Ryn said:
From the SRD:Seems pretty straightforward...

Right but since this thread already clearly established what the 3E cloak does I think I'll change the subject header for those just jumping on board....

Remove ads