• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Would You Make the Greatest Swordsman Ever?

Numion

First Post
I'd suggest Falchion for the ultimate swordsmans weapon. The increased critical range is very good with keen weapon and improved critical. The increased chance of critical easily compensates for the two points lower average damage when compared to greatsword.

Jeph

Explorer
Try a Bard/Blade Dancer (or whatever it's called, from Oriental Adventures) fucused in the Scemitar, or Bastard Sword.

Alariel

First Post
Jeremy said:
*Continuing the tangent like the naughty monkey he is..*

Yeah, who'd have thought politics could hold so much interest.

Give Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince/Dragon Star trilogies a shot while you're waiting for more Martin. Politics, betrayals, but also large and small scale and HUGE scale warfare with lots of memorable characters. :)

I did read the first Rawn book a long time ago. I don't remember liking it particularly well. At least, I don't recall finding every single character in the book vying for the title 'Most Favorite Character' at all times like Martin does with his characters.

*makes Homer-like drooling noises at Jaime, Cersei and Tyrion Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, Roose Bolton and Catelyn Stark*

Jeremy

Explorer
Heh. You've got a point there. But I find the family, political, and theocratic relationships to be even more telling in that book even though it is more broad. And as the books develop, there are just as many with Andry, Rohan, Wanev, Chayla, Ostvel, Riyan, Sionell, Maarken, Meath, Pol, Kazander, and of course Sioned all becoming extremely attractive characters.

Roose Bolton made your list but Baristan the Bold didn't? :)

Alariel

First Post
Jeremy said:
Heh. You've got a point there. But I find the family, political, and theocratic relationships to be even more telling in that book even though it is more broad. And as the books develop, there are just as many with Andry, Rohan, Wanev, Chayla, Ostvel, Riyan, Sionell, Maarken, Meath, Pol, Kazander, and of course Sioned all becoming extremely attractive characters.

Roose Bolton made your list but Baristan the Bold didn't? :)

Barristan the Bold is alright, but he's not as intriguing and dynamic as others, IMO. I preferred Jorah over him, though some of Barristan's strictures are pretty cool, like why he won't wield certain weapons and such.

Roose Bolton is, pardon me, simply a badass, without raising a finger. :)

Jeremy

Explorer
Let's see...

Dual wielders need the netbook of feats and masters of the wild.

For a double weapon fighter take double weapon fighting (nbof), power double weapon fighting, and improved power double weapon fighting for 1.5x strength modifier on both ends. Add weapon focus, specialization, improved critical and bonded weapon for +3 to hit and damage with both ends all day, all night.

Then throw in improved two weapon fighting and greater two weapon fighting for 7 attacks per round. Then get power attack and cleave so if anyone of those 7 drops someone you get an 8th. Then get boots (or a ring) of speed for a 9th attack. And finally take frenzied attack from AEG's War book for a 10th attack.

Then marvel at the whirling dervish of destruction who in addition to defending himself and maneuvering for position, managed to land 10 attacks in a round without a single level of ranger or monk. Now that's 12 feats, so this is going to have to be a fighter most likely, but that's ok since 7 of the feats are bonus fighter feats. And let's throw improved weapon focus from quintessential fighter in there for 8 bonus fighter feats out of 13 total feats. Still got feats to spare.

But at this point I want to see his attack bonus.

+5 weapons on both sides, keen if you want to splurge but probably unneccesary unless you are wielding a double scimitar from Dragon Magazine. +20 BAB +8 (?) STR +5 Enhancement +2 Improved Weapon Focus +2 Bonded Weapon -2 Light Offhand Weapon -5 Frenzied Attack = +30/+30/+30/+25/+25/+20/+20/+15 with an extra partial action of +32 (no TWF penalty because no full round action to fight with both ends), +30 if any of those first 9 hits drop someone.

Damage would probably be 1d8 +12 STR x1.5 +5 Enhancement +2 Specialization +1 Bonded weapon = 1d8+20 on both ends.

I guess if you wanted to get really silly, and with 760k at 20th level, silly is guaranteed, you could enchant both ends with speed for 12 attacks an average round for an average damage of 294.

Pretty weak, but then 26 strength for a 20th level melee fighter is really conservative.

Jeremy

Explorer
Oh, and if you don't like double weapons, take two weapon combination (nbof) instead of double weapon fighting, take off hand weapon expert (qf) instead of power double weapon fighting, and take twin weapon fighting (nbof) instead of improved power double weapon fighting.

That will allow you to use a single pair of matching weapons as if you had ambidexterity and two weapon fighting at -2 even if they are medium size weapons and do full strength damage on even your offhand attacks. Of course it isn't 1.5x strength, and you can't take bonded weapon, but thems the breaks.

Remove ads