• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How would YOU nerf the wizard? +

ECMO3

Hero
You can't always get what you want. Sure, casters want to cast in melee, but should they be able to? Hells, no.

And the designers caving to what (they think) players want is what got us into this mess.

Then maybe D&D isn't the right system for those "many players".

I think a lot of players think D&D is the right system with the class design that lets most classes be good at anything and I don't see the logic in saying it isn't the right system for them.

I have not played in 5E games with homebrew designed specifically to nerf the Wizard, I have played in 5E games with homebrew designed to be more restrictive and align or encourage classes towards a specific defined role, and those games have had trouble finding and keeping players.

I don't think restrictive class-defined roles is what the D&D community at large wants and I would argue that community at large defines what the D&D system is.

Quartz

Hero
I've arrived fashionably late so skipped the preceding 24 pages but here's what I would do: change the wizard to work off a short rest. Halve the number of spell slots they get (minimum 1) and have them recover one spell slot of each level up to their Proficiency Bonus -1 on a Short Rest (i.e. one level 1 spell at PB 2 to one spell of each levels 1-5 at PB 6). A Long Rest allows recovery of 1 spell slot of each level (1-9). Arcane Recovery is removed. Note that characters with Epic Boons may require more than one Long Rest.

Reynard

Legend
I've arrived fashionably late so skipped the preceding 24 pages but here's what I would do: change the wizard to work off a short rest. Halve the number of spell slots they get (minimum 1) and have them recover one spell slot of each level up to their Proficiency Bonus -1 on a Short Rest (i.e. one level 1 spell at PB 2 to one spell of each levels 1-5 at PB 6). A Long Rest allows recovery of 1 spell slot of each level (1-9). Arcane Recovery is removed. Note that characters with Epic Boons may require more than one Long Rest.
I feel like I need a table showing how this works. My brain is not collating it for me.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So... I walk up to everyone with a knife, then draw my greatsword after getting my +5 on the thing that really only matters for the first round?
Sorry, I should clarify....this house-rule is for tables that roll initiative every round. Whatever weapon you have equipped at the top of your turn determines whether or not you roll with (dis)advantage.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
I feel like I need a table showing how this works. My brain is not collating it for me.
If I read it correctly then:
-halve their total number of spell slots per spell level.
-on a short rest recover 1 spell slot per spell level that is of a level beneath your proficiency bonus (if your PB is +4 then you recover 1 1st, 2nd and 3rd level slot each on a short rest).
-on a long rest recover 1 spell slot of every level you know.
-remove arcane recovery.

Reynard

Legend
If I read it correctly then:
-halve their total number of spell slots per spell level.
-on a short rest recover 1 spell slot per spell level that is of a level beneath your proficiency bonus (if your PB is +4 then you recover 1 1st, 2nd and 3rd level slot each on a short rest).
-on a long rest recover 1 spell slot of every level you know.
-remove arcane recovery.
The thing I don't like about this is that it exacerbates the 15 minute work day problem. Sure, it nerfs the wizard nicely, but it nerfs everyone else's fun too.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
The thing I don't like about this is that it exacerbates the 15 minute work day problem. Sure, it nerfs the wizard nicely, but it nerfs everyone else's fun too.
I would see it as incentivising more short rests? As if you only long rest you’re only going to be getting back one spell slot per level which likely won’t be able to keep up with the rate that a wizard goes slots?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think paired with the fixed positions in initiative order it could lead to unfun dynamics, where the next adversary after the caster is the designated "spell disruptor". With some unlucky rolls (like a 11 for a wizard and 10 for a rogue) the spellcaster now can never cast a single spell and the next in line have to spend all it's turns bugging the caster.
An excellent argument (one of many) for rerolling initiative each round.

Remove ads