• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General How would you redo 4e?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I would have given it another year or so in the development phase and released tokens like they did with Essentials, had the PHB actually be a classic style PHB with the original core classes and improved monster math they implemented. Then avoided the Windows like patches that came out every few months to fix issues that came up in play and feat taxes they issued to fix the math. The magic item economy was too ingrained in the math so that would have been fixed.

Ok I would have released 5e.
You started off fine. Classic aesthetics is fine, 3e PHB + Warlord would be fine (if very big), most folks prefer the MM3/MV math.

I genuinely do not understand the "Windows like patches" complaint. Would you seriously prefer that they leave in stuff like an accidental infinite damage loop because they didn't catch it before publication?

"Feat taxes" IMO are a fan-created problem with a fan-created anger at the solution meant to fix the fan-created problem. That is, I am genuinely convinced that they WANTED it to get (very, very slightly) harder at baseline over the tiers. (Keep in mind, it's only about +1 every 10 levels!) This was meant to make it so you were soft-encouraged to actually use teamwork--at early levels, it's super effective but not absolutely required, but in Epic tier, if you aren't actually synergizing with your allies, you WILL suffer for it.

But people got their knickers in a twist about it......despite ALSO complaining that the challenge was in lockstep. Literally unpleasable fans.

You describe the magic items as though they need to be fixed. They don't. You can literally run 4e without magic items of any kind. It's called inherent bonuses ("A Reward-Based Game" is the official sidebar), and it was included as a variant rule in DMG2. Which was published in 2009. Literally only a year after 4e launched (DMG1: June 2008.)

teitan

Legend
You started off fine. Classic aesthetics is fine, 3e PHB + Warlord would be fine (if very big), most folks prefer the MM3/MV math.

I genuinely do not understand the "Windows like patches" complaint. Would you seriously prefer that they leave in stuff like an accidental infinite damage loop because they didn't catch it before publication?

"Feat taxes" IMO are a fan-created problem with a fan-created anger at the solution meant to fix the fan-created problem. That is, I am genuinely convinced that they WANTED it to get (very, very slightly) harder at baseline over the tiers. (Keep in mind, it's only about +1 every 10 levels!) This was meant to make it so you were soft-encouraged to actually use teamwork--at early levels, it's super effective but not absolutely required, but in Epic tier, if you aren't actually synergizing with your allies, you WILL suffer for it.

But people got their knickers in a twist about it......despite ALSO complaining that the challenge was in lockstep. Literally unpleasable fans.

You describe the magic items as though they need to be fixed. They don't. You can literally run 4e without magic items of any kind. It's called inherent bonuses ("A Reward-Based Game" is the official sidebar), and it was included as a variant rule in DMG2. Which was published in 2009. Literally only a year after 4e launched (DMG1: June 2008.)
Did you read where I said I would have waited a year to put out a more robust tested game so I wouldn’t have to do any of that? Ta ta.

Undrave

Legend
Oh, certainly. I mostly said that because the most commonly claimed benefits of things like Advantage (binary, non-stacking) are:
A) it's impossible for stacking to get out of control if things simply can't stack,
B) all the time that would be spent tracking and tallying bonuses now goes to other gameplay, and
C) if there's only three states (bonus, penalty, standard), players can intuitively know what they're getting out of various buffs or risk-taking maneuvers.

I consider the "cancellation stacking" format (my term, meaning "tally up your buffs and debuffs, whichever is greater is what you have") to be a poor compromise that often ends up being the worst of both worlds. It has, by design, all the limitations of the "no stacking at all" rules (lacks nuance, can't represent degrees of benefit/detriment, easy to overuse and thus make worthless, etc.) But it gives up point C entirely (not that, IMO, Advantage was actually that intuitive to begin with; it's easy to know that it's good, but not how good it is), and weakens point B, possibly to the point of not actually saving any meaningful amount of time.

And that's...sort of the rub for this thing. We want to find something that preserves most of the speed, simplicity, and intuitive effect of the "no stacking" method, while regaining some of the nuances, degrees-of-effect, depth of design space, and room to grow so bonuses are at least almost always actually bonuses and not wasted. But I find instead that sacrifices are made on both ends, giving us more than half of the problems and less than half of the benefits of both approaches.

And, to be clear, I don't consider my proposed solution very clever either. It's just trying to...sort of play the weaknesses of the two methods against one another so they end up cancelling out and thus being a minor improvement on most fronts. It's still pretty simple (either ±4, ±2, or 0; either best/worst of 3d20, best/worst of 2d20, or just 1d20), but not quite the ur-simplicity of "nothing stacks." It's nuanced enough to cover unusual situations (like having Super-Disadvantage and Super-Boost, meaning you have a very high floor but it's very unlikely that you'll do much better, or the reverse, where you're likely to get a high roll but you have a small chance of utterly bombing) without being a sprawling morass of modifiers. It allows for at least some design depth, but prevents things going off the deep end. And it should still be fairly quick and not particularly counter-intuitive, though it might still take some time to get used to.

It's just not really all that elegant, and still leaves things fairly shallow in terms of design space.
Random idea here, but what if instead EVERYTHING stacks, BUT you have a maximum bonus you can get equal to the ability modifier you are using for whatever is being buffed? Like, if two characters grant a +2 to the Fighter’s attack, but the Fighter has a +3 in STR, then his additional bonus can only be +3.

I would still keep Combat Advantage as a thing, because it’s more of a status condition. I don’t gain combat advantage, the enemy grants it because they’re unbalanced or distracted.
Nentir Vale's world was incomplete, but that was likely to it's advantage. Even so, I felt it needed a little more work, since it seemed like every race had a lost ancient empire out there. I did appreciate making a setting around the edition's rules, instead of the other way around (though they immediately went back and totally stood the Forgotten Realms on it's head). The other settings were...ok. They felt a little watered down from their previous versions, but Eberron was meant to be pure 3.5 gonzo madness, and Dark Sun...well, go see the Dark Sun thread, I guess, lol.
It's incomplete on purpose, and I think the vagueness is for the best. Personally I really liked the World Axis cosmology, and then give us notable events in the History of the World and let us fill in the rest. The Nentir Vale itself is just an exemple of the type of environment that's all over that particular world.

If you want an adventure path, go with Zeitgeist. It was originally for 4e, and everything I've heard says it's among the best.

You can also construct one from a sequence of adventures that run up through like...mid-paragon, I think? I don't remember the specifics, but I know Cairn of the Winter King, Reavers of Harkenwold, and The Slaying Stone are part of it. I believe Remains of the Empire is usually also thrown in somewhere, and if you can squeeze it, Madness at Gardmore Abbey.

From this and other things I've seen, you could probably assemble at least two full "heroic tier" adventure paths of solid, well-regarded adventures.
2nd this. Zeitgeist is the only AP or really even published adventure that I think plays fully to 4e's strengths:

* lots of freeform roleplay, investigation, exploration, travel, etc. in between meaningful set piece encounters that almost always tie into and move plot.

* themes and paragon paths tightly tied into setting (Neverwinter campaign guide does this well also)

* clear movement in fiction as you move up to Epic tier. The last 3-4 adventures do not at all feel like you are just reskining a heroic tier adventure (cough cough P series)

It's a great AP for any edition but it brings out all the good in 4e. That said, it is a non standard fantasy setting so won't be for everyone.

Even the well regarded WotC adventures have way too many back to back encounters for me for 4e.

pemerton

Legend
It's incomplete on purpose, and I think the vagueness is for the best. Personally I really liked the World Axis cosmology, and then give us notable events in the History of the World and let us fill in the rest. The Nentir Vale itself is just an exemple of the type of environment that's all over that particular world.
This.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Random idea here, but what if instead EVERYTHING stacks, BUT you have a maximum bonus you can get equal to the ability modifier you are using for whatever is being buffed? Like, if two characters grant a +2 to the Fighter’s attack, but the Fighter has a +3 in STR, then his additional bonus can only be +3.

I would still keep Combat Advantage as a thing, because it’s more of a status condition. I don’t gain combat advantage, the enemy grants it because they’re unbalanced or distracted.
It has potential, but it makes raising your bonus maximum one of the most important things you can do. If it's tied to raising your core stats, it's now even more important to juice yourself as much as possible at 1st level. I fear this would make the preoccupation with "play a race specifically with +2 to this class's stats" even stronger than it already was, and I'd prefer to move away from that. (Though there are other possible solutions there.)

I have thoughts on this but I have other things to do. I'll come back to it later.

Pedantic

Legend
2nd this. Zeitgeist is the only AP or really even published adventure that I think plays fully to 4e's strengths:

* lots of freeform roleplay, investigation, exploration, travel, etc. in between meaningful set piece encounters that almost always tie into and move plot.

* themes and paragon paths tightly tied into setting (Neverwinter campaign guide does this well also)

* clear movement in fiction as you move up to Epic tier. The last 3-4 adventures do not at all feel like you are just reskining a heroic tier adventure (cough cough P series)

It's a great AP for any edition but it brings out all the good in 4e. That said, it is a non standard fantasy setting so won't be for everyone.

Even the well regarded WotC adventures have way too many back to back encounters for me for 4e.
I've been running the 5e conversion of this AP, and I definitely agree that it's great with one caveat: the very first thing you do is a skill challenge designed to emphasize your role as investigators, where you canvass a crowd for potential threats to the unveiling of a new ship. I would recommend skipping or heavily altering that scene entirely, as it essentially has you doing class/appearance based profiling, then arresting (and possible attacking) protestors, who are cast as violent terrorists. It has not aged well, particularly in the context of the last 5 years.

Fortunately the rest of the AP is much better about shades of grey, and leans in to more savory (and adventurably interesting) aspects of law enforcement. That particular scene left a pretty bad taste in my player's mouths though, and I would not recommend running it straight in a modern game. It could fairly easily be cut entirely without any real effect on the rest of the AP.

Undrave

Legend
It has potential, but it makes raising your bonus maximum one of the most important things you can do. If it's tied to raising your core stats, it's now even more important to juice yourself as much as possible at 1st level. I fear this would make the preoccupation with "play a race specifically with +2 to this class's stats" even stronger than it already was, and I'd prefer to move away from that. (Though there are other possible solutions there.)
Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

Hm... Maybe your maximum bonus is a number generated through a formula on your character sheet?

Remove ads