How Would You Stat Out This Weapon?

AFGNCAAP

First Post
I'm trying to figure out the best way to stat out this weapon for D&D--I'm not sure if anyone has already provided stats for it for 3.X (I know I've seen stats for it for 2nd ed. in a Dragon article once).

Overall, the falcata's a slashing weapon just over 2 feet long (25 inches from point to pommel; the blade is 20 inches long). It has a forward curve just like a kukri.

First off, would this be an exotic weapon or a martial one? I think the kukri was an exotic weapon in 3.0, but is now a martial weapon in 3.5--what would you say?

Second, would you consider this a light weapon? It's just about short sword size (for a Medium creature).

Third, would you simply just treat it as a larger version of a kukri (maybe it deals damage as a Large kukri, but it sized for a Medium creature, etc.)?

I'd appreciate any info/advice/links that you could provide.

Attachments

• mrl1191.jpg
    mrl1191.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 716

LGodamus

First Post
I would just use a khukri stats.....cause the falcata isnt really any larger than a khukri..... I have a Khukri under my bed and I use to have a falcata replica...they are pretty similar in balance and usage and I would guess damage. :D

jgsugden

Legend
Simple/martial/exotic is more a measure of power than a measure of ease of use. The more powerful the weapon is, the more exotic is should be. If the (medium size version of this) weapon does d6 damage, criticals on a 19-20, does slashing damage and acts as a light weapon, I'd call it a martial weapon.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Yeah - a kukri was Exotic in 3E and Martial in 3.5 because it was more powerful in 3E, due to the difference in the weapon sizing systems.

Mechanically, in 3E, a kukri was a Tiny scimitar with the damage of a Small scimitar, so it's Exotic.

In 3.5, it's a 'light' scimitar with the damage of a 'light' scimitar. It's balanced, so it's Martial.

If you make your falcata a Light 18-20x2 weapon that does 1d6 damage, it's Exotic. If it does 1d4 damage, it's Martial.

-Hyp.

Aaron2

Explorer
I treat similar weapons as a martial one-handed 1d8 20/*3 weapon. Light is more of a measure of weight than size and these weapon were heavy for their length to increase their chopping power.

Aaron

Tetsubo

First Post
From Stone To Steel (Monkeygod Enterprises) gives the following 3.0 stats:

Falcata (Small, Martial) 13 gp, 2d3, 18-2-/x2, 10.5 lbs, Type S, Medium, Hardness/HP 6/32.

This is a great weapons and armour book. They will be publishing a 3.5 version and providing a conversion document for those of us that bought the 3.0 printing.

James McMurray

First Post
2d3? Why on earthw ould anyone want to use a weapon that does 2d3 damage?

I'd say to just give it a kukri's stats, or up it to a d6 damage and make it exotic.

Intrope

First Post
I'd just call it a short sword, and give it Slash damage type. For that matter, Short Swords as Piercing is debatable anyway; as I understood it, the Roman Gladius that's the model for the D&D short sword was probably used as a slashing weapon anyway (based on wear patterns).

No need to complicate matters.

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
James McMurray said:
2d3? Why on earth would anyone want to use a weapon that does 2d3 damage?
It is slightly better than 1d6 (2-6 average 4 vs 1-6 average 3.5) but is supposedly equivalent (2x3=6 and 1x6=6). Personally, I would rather go with 6d1 for my weapon if we are going to play the substute a few little dice for one big dice game.

James McMurray

First Post
Camarath said:
It is slightly better than 1d6 (2-6 average 4 vs 1-6 average 3.5) but is supposedly equivalent (2x3=6 and 1x6=6). Personally, I would rather go with 6d1 for my weapon if we are going to play the substute a few little dice for one big dice game.

LOL

I know its slightly better, but that .5 points of added damage doesn't (IMO) make up for the hassle of rolling two dice, dividing, and adding. Its just plain cumbersome. :(

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases