• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Howard Stern rips on D&D on his radio show

TiQuinn

I used to listen to Stern all the time on my drive into work. After a while, his schtick (and it is just a schtick) started grating on me. So I turned it off. And after a while I realized how little I actually hear about Howard Stern anymore, either in general conversation with people or in the media.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
The only part of this I would care to hear more about is the validity of the comment by the caller who said they ask police candidates if they played. My guess if they really ask this question is that it would not outright eliminate a candidate, but it might be used as part of an overall psych profile and could even be beneficial. If a candidate is a good role-player, they might be good in undercover situations.

Of course I've played D&D long enough to know that most of us ARE a little mentally unbalanced, but then again so are many cops I've known... :D

silentspace

First Post
CrusaderX said:
Did anyone listen to Stern's show this morning? I don't know how the topic of D&D came up, since I only heard part of the show, but Howard and his gang were ripping on the game pretty bad. In typical Stern fashion, the game was portrayed as being sexually perverse - Stern actually claimed that the game involves an older man (the DM) leading young boys into a dark basement, where they have to obey his commands. (?) Robin the co-host asked how the game is "won", and nobody had an answer. So Stern made up his own sex-related answers on how the game is won. Many more sexual comments and jokes followed, D&D players were portrayed as inept losers at best and sexual perverts at worst, and nothing was said to dispute what D&D is really like. One caller actually phoned in the show and claimed that potential police candidates are asked if they ever played D&D or not, with Stern saying that he wouldn't trust a D&D player to become a cop, since D&D players aren't mentally stable.

All in all, D&D was bashed pretty bad, and its players were made to look like total freaks. Which, coming from Stern and Co., is a case of the pot calling the kettle black, of course. But D&D really doesn't need this kind of publicity.

Uhh... which part of that do you object to? :D

dagger

Adventurer
You know whats sad, is he probablly DOES know what D&D is really like, he just does not care. That's just the way he is, he will make something look really bad even if he is really into it, it's all about ratings.

MarauderX said:
It really stings though when someone you just met rags on D&D without having a clue about it, but heard negative things because of Stern & others. It would be nice if they didn't goof on anything, but they need targets on shows like that. I don't get as defensive and verbally scath people about it anymore, I just shake my head and let it go, and the same goes with other subjects people don't fully understand, like politics, religion & science.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i wouldn't be in the least bit concerned what someone in the media says about D&D, unless of course they get really MADD. :D

Ranger REG

Explorer
AFAIC, Howard Stern and his "King of All Media" gimmick are the stuff of the 90's. It should be left there along with New Kids on the Block and grunge.

IOW, his stuff are old, we're tired of listening to him, and move along.

Pants

First Post
I'm wondering *who* actually takes Stern seriously?

If I had probably heard this, I'd most likely laugh, make some derogatory remark involving Stern and probably his mother and his dog, and I'd move on.
He's only saying this to get a rise out of us players, so if one of us were to call in and either insult OR debate with Stern on how wrong he is, then I'd have to say that he's already won the battle at that point.

takyris

First Post
Ladies and gentlemen, we knew this day was coming.

Stern has commenced his attack upon the geeks.

Alpha Squad, get those minis ready. I want the big arena scene from Attack of the Clones, in color and with phosphorescent paint for the lightsabers, glued to the hood of his car by Friday morning.

Beta Squad, if Stern's web-page isn't replaced with Photoshopped images of Stern involved in illegal sexual activity with the apropos slogan "If he played D&D, he'd know that BARDS GOT THE SHAFT" in really big letters across the top, there'll be hell to pay.

Delta Squad, you've got the laptops, the jumper cables, and a tab at Radio Shack. I want Stern's radio broadcast replaced with an endless loop of that Dead Alewives sketch in all major cities, and I want it now.

Omega Force, you've spent all those years at the SCA preparing for this moment. Let's show this punk what PVC, rattan, and duct tape can do in the right hands.

Gaga About Gnomes... you guys have never taken orders. You're a black mark on the field of organized combat. But this time, your penchant for chaos may be what makes this all come together.

Give 'em hell, you magificent sons o' beeshes.

Bass Puppet

First Post
I heard that this morning as I was getting ready for work. I actually laughed my arse off. Howard rips on all kinds of people, if anybody knows howard, this was bound to come. If you can't laugh at yourself, then you have no right to laugh at anybody else. I wouldn't take it personal, either you found the schtick funny or not, it was still a joke.

p.s. takyris, that was great. :D

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Ranger REG said:
AFAIC, Howard Stern and his "King of All Media" gimmick are the stuff of the 90's. It should be left there along with New Kids on the Block and grunge.
New Kids on the Block are done? Man...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads