Howard Stern rips on D&D on his radio show

CrusaderX

First Post
Did anyone listen to Stern's show this morning? I don't know how the topic of D&D came up, since I only heard part of the show, but Howard and his gang were ripping on the game pretty bad. In typical Stern fashion, the game was portrayed as being sexually perverse - Stern actually claimed that the game involves an older man (the DM) leading young boys into a dark basement, where they have to obey his commands. (?) Robin the co-host asked how the game is "won", and nobody had an answer. So Stern made up his own sex-related answers on how the game is won. Many more sexual comments and jokes followed, D&D players were portrayed as inept losers at best and sexual perverts at worst, and nothing was said to dispute what D&D is really like. One caller actually phoned in the show and claimed that potential police candidates are asked if they ever played D&D or not, with Stern saying that he wouldn't trust a D&D player to become a cop, since D&D players aren't mentally stable.

All in all, D&D was bashed pretty bad, and its players were made to look like total freaks. Which, coming from Stern and Co., is a case of the pot calling the kettle black, of course. But D&D really doesn't need this kind of publicity.

TiQuinn

CrusaderX said:
All in all, D&D was bashed pretty bad, and its players were made to look like total freaks. Which, coming from Stern and Co., is a case of the pot calling the kettle black, of course. But D&D really doesn't need this kind of publicity.

Is this the same Howard Stern who's always trying to convince people that he's still relevant?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Someone should have called him up and said that Vin Diesel plays, and wants to kick his :):):).

Moving to Movies & TV.

CrusaderX said:
Did anyone listen to Stern's show this morning? I don't know how the topic of D&D came up, since I only heard part of the show, but Howard and his gang were ripping on the game pretty bad. In typical Stern fashion, the game was portrayed as being sexually perverse - Stern actually claimed that the game involves an older man (the DM) leading young boys into a dark basement, where they have to obey his commands. (?) Robin the co-host asked how the game is "won", and nobody had an answer. So Stern made up his own sex-related answers on how the game is won. Many more sexual comments and jokes followed, D&D players were portrayed as inept losers at best and sexual perverts at worst, and nothing was said to dispute what D&D is really like. One caller actually phoned in the show and claimed that potential police candidates are asked if they ever played D&D or not, with Stern saying that he wouldn't trust a D&D player to become a cop, since D&D players aren't mentally stable.

I am supposed to care what some loud mouthed pervert has to say?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
D&D = Older guy leading young boys into the basement. Uh huh. Ah, would that such things were legally actionable. But it's probably not.

kengar

First Post
I remember when Howard was a local morning DJ here in DC. I was in Jr. High & High School during that time. I didn't even find him funny then. Now? He's the joke, always has been. If people get a kick out of listening to him, hey whatever floats their boat, but he's never been funny to me.

I can't really get worked up over his comments about gaming, he rips on just about everything at some point or another, it's just D&D's turn.

*yawn*

Sirius_Black

First Post
kengar said:
I can't really get worked up over his comments about gaming, he rips on just about everything at some point or another, it's just D&D's turn.

*yawn*

The yawn is exactly how to respond to his ramblings. His comments will have no effect on how people view D&D or roleplaying. Come Wednesday, he'll go off on the people who are excited about the last Lord of the Rings movie or the fact that his bagel was cold when it was handed to him.

Last edited:

MarauderX

Explorer
It really stings though when someone you just met rags on D&D without having a clue about it, but heard negative things because of Stern & others. It would be nice if they didn't goof on anything, but they need targets on shows like that. I don't get as defensive and verbally scath people about it anymore, I just shake my head and let it go, and the same goes with other subjects people don't fully understand, like politics, religion & science.

Mystery Man

First Post
Sirius_Black said:
Still, as far as radio commentators, at least he isn't hyped up on pain killers.....

There are other recovering addicts besides him who would find that offensive you know. But by all means stoop to the very persons level of which you disapprove. :rolleyes:

Remove ads