Hybrid Paladin Warlock Suggestions

KarinsDad

Adventurer
In our current table group, we are going to start switching off DMs every few levels, so I'll be getting a chance to play instead of DM.

I was thinking of putting together a Hybrid Paladin Warlock.

I haven't decided on race yet, but possible a Halfling or a Human. Possibly not.

If anyone has any suggestions of race, feat, or power combos, please let me know.

One small combo that the PC will be doing is Eyebite while in Plate and Large Shield, if it hits move adjacent to the hit melee foe, and force the foe to:

a) attack this PC at -5 for invisible (AC 25 equivalent at level one), or
b) shift away and be limited to a MBA charge against a different PC, taking a -1 to hit (-2 challenge, +1 charge), and taking divine challenge damage, or
c) move away, take an Opportunity Attack from this PC, and not be limited to a MBA charge against a different PC, taking a -2 to hit, and taking divine challenge damage.

This assumes of course that the NPC cannot do a range or close attack and will not be in a situation to just shift away and be close enough to attack a different PC. Mostly, this tactic would be better if used against a brute or soldier, but there are probably some skirmishers or lurkers where it might work.

But, this one small combo isn't going to work some significant portion of the time. The PC will need some other good options to make up for the loss of class features that hybrid causes. So if you have any suggestions, please post them.

Thanks.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I just came upon this combination by chance and I am really jonesing to play the character...

A Tiefling Paladin/Warlock. There is an incredible amount of gross feat support for this combination.

I built one concentrating on Warlock as a Ranged Striker/Defender...
My build will work best with a beefy front line especially with a Fighter in the group.

Hybrid Training (Paladin Armor)
Crimson Fire
Crimson Legionairre
Turathi Weapon Training

Blast away with Eldritch Bolt on a target that is both Cursed and Challenged (at range) for quite a bit of damage.

There is a Warlock Encounter Utility that will give you some invisibilty and the Paladin power Mocking Smite that will also give you invisibility.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
hybrid challenge is terrible.
- we had a paladin - multiclass warlock that did really well. His key features included a throwing sword, and the 3rd level enc warlock Teleport/burst.

He actually played alot like a swordmage, marking and then teleporting away.
The combo he built his character for (mark and eyebite) turned out to be alot less useful then mark, and retreat. He did alot of area marking, and would regularly have 3 or more non-adjacent enemies under divine sanction. As a dragonborn, marking with breath was also a favored trick.

Yeah, all the paladin/warlock crosses I've seen are basically kiting, same as a swordmage build would. Nothing WRONG with Eyebite of course, but the general idea is to put the fighter between you and the mobs and just turn the whole DC damage as something the enemy simply can't avoid. Curse them, DC them, stay away from them, hammer on them with Eldritch Blast. For even more fun drop some conditions on them when you can. Immobilized and helplessly taking DC damage is fun.

I'd say basically an elf, eladrin, other highly mobile race, but it is hard to find one that gives you the reasonably racial bonus lineup you need for hybrids. Halfling doesn't sound bad. Human is a good option too. The extra starting feat and at-will are gold for hybrids.

Mapache

Explorer
hybrid challenge is terrible.

You do know they changed it to not require an immediate action, so it's just like non-hybrid challenge but does slightly less damage? In any case, your Divine Sanction still does full damage, and you can take lots of powers that spam that around in Close Burst, so you can keep it up for about three rounds out of every fight. There's lots of feat support for tiefling paladin/warlocks (and they can actually put out more damage than a straight-up warlock). I've played one and he rocks.

jbear

First Post
Here's a build I posted on another thread. I'd love to play it myself.

The Cursed One, level 11
Human, Warlock|Paladin, Student of Caiphon: Warlock Radiant Powers crit on 18-20
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Star Pact (Hybrid):Required for Student of Caiphon Paragon Path
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency: Plate and Heavy shields
Twofold Pact: Fey Pact: This comes with the Boon; now you teleport when your curse target drops.
Human Power Selection: Bonus At-Will Power
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit): Can change this but it fits a Paladin/warlock to the tee if you ask mee; extra HPs yay!

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 14, Int 16, Wis 9, Cha 21.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 13, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 27 Fort: 22 Reflex: 22 Will: 23
HP: 84 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, Religion +13, Bluff +15, Intimidate +15, Stealth +12

FEATS
Human: Heavy Blade Expertise: Pretty unavoidable
Level 1: Hybrid Talent: This is where you get your Heavy Armour
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade): Bastard Sword is okay if you want to get a Heavy Shield instead but when your crit range increases to 18-20 at level 11 ... devastating!
Level 4: Shadow Initiate: The path to gain Shadow Walk; You can now use your sword as your implement! oh and stealth boost ... plus Shrouds. Good deal! This is why you invest a 13 in DEX
Level 6: White Lotus Riposte: Of course
Level 8: Cursed Shadow: Hello Shadow Step!
Level 10: Crimson Fire: Marked and Cursed targets = curse damage uses d10s!
I prefer this over turning your Paladin At Will to a Arcane Power (Domain of Arcana?), but it's an option. Alternatively, Dragonmark of Warding is another sound option. You'll get both those feats anyway at some stage.

Level 11: Twofold Pact: Second Pact, this time with Boon! And Eyebite! SO retrain Eyebite for Hand of Blight or Enfeebling Strike

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Eyebite: Mark, and Blind at Range
Hybrid at-will 1: Eldritch Strike: Bread and Butter
Hybrid at-will 1: Virtuous Strike: Cha MBA; Pretty Crappy but it does deal Radiant Damage so okay vs Undead at least ... gets decent if you gain Domain of Arcana and possibly convince your DM to allow Corellon to gain access to the Domain of the Sun
Hybrid encounter 1: Valorous Smite: Mark everything within 3 of you with your Sanction
Hybrid daily 1: Crown of Stars: Warlock Radiant Power that gives you an encounter long minor action Warlock Radiant Power Attack; see Student of Caiphon + Full Blade which is your Implement
Hybrid utility 2: Bless Weapon: Doesn't say it works only on melee attacks ... so all your Implement attacks through your Blessed sword gain this AWESOME benefit for 1 encounter per day
Hybrid encounter 3: Otherwind Stride: Get in and get out!
Hybrid daily 5: Hallowed Circle: That's quite a big explosion ... lots of attacks, lots of chances to crit! High Crit Weapon! And while your sword is Blessed ...awesome
Hybrid utility 6: Shadowslip: Move towards or away from offending enemy that attacks you from afar
Hybrid encounter 7: Far Realm Phantasm: If you hit, the next turn the enemy attacks thin air! Pretty awesome vs a solo creature or an elite Boss creature.
Hybrid daily 9: Radiant Pulse: Again ... sustaining encounter long lots of Radiant Warlock Power attacks; see Student of Caiphon etc.
Hybrid utility 10: Font of Healing: Heal yourself and a friend; warlocks need something to get other people to like them, right?

ITEMS: I don't put much thought into items; DM territory afaic.
Fullblade of Great Opportunity +2, Teleporting Wyvernscale Armor +3, Cloak of the Walking Wounded +2

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Here's a build I posted on another thread. I'd love to play it myself.

Thanks.

This is a lot like what I was thinking of if I took a Human except that Shadow Initiate did not occur to me.

I was thinking of Lost in the Crowd if I took a Halfling.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Yeah, all the paladin/warlock crosses I've seen are basically kiting, same as a swordmage build would. Nothing WRONG with Eyebite of course, but the general idea is to put the fighter between you and the mobs and just turn the whole DC damage as something the enemy simply can't avoid.

I wasn't that interested in kiting or in forcing the DC damage as something the foe couldn't avoid. The DC damage for a Hybrid Paladin is 3 less than a standard Paladin, so it was more icing on the cake than anything else.

I was more interested in getting in the face of the foe, but making his counterattack hard to hit, or his attack on someone else at a penalty. It would be nice to find something like Daunting Challenge, but for a Paladin instead of a Fighter. The issue with taking a Hybrid Fighter/Warlock is that the mark only applies to Fighter attacks (and of course, getting to Plate armor requires a second feat).

Remove ads