D&D 5E Hypothetical 50th Anniversary Core Rulebooks

What will we see for core rulebooks for the 50th anniversary?

• Nothing - no new core rulebooks of any kind.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • 5.1 - almost entirely cosmetic, maybe with a few minor tweaks.

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • 5.2 - as above, but more tweaks and some new options.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • 5.3 - as above but more, and possibly a major adjustment or two.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • 5.4 - as above but with more significant and noticeable revision.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 5.5 - as above but with significant revision, some of it systemic.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 6E - a new edition of the game with major revision and possibly significant departure from 5E.

Votes: 6 7.5%

Mercurius

Legend
I'm embroiled in lots of discussion around the idea of a hypothetical 50th anniversary core rulebook set in 2024, which would also be the 10th anniversary of 5E. Rather than re-hash or muddy the waters with my own take (if you're interested, check out this thread) I'll keep preliminary thoughts succinct and use this space to give more detail on what I mean by the various options.

Nothing - No new versions of the core rulebooks, at least not in 2024 (doesn't mean they won't do something else for the anniversary).
5.1 - Reprints with new art, covers, a 50th anniversary foreword of some kind, maybe a re-worked index, possibly a very minor tweak or two, and/or rules addition of some kind (e.g. a new sub-class or two, possibly minor revision of an existing class). No structural or systemic change.
5.2 - As above, with a few minor tweaks and additions (e.g. new versions of old classes, maybe a new class, minor adjustments to monster stats, etc). Minimal or very minor and limited structural change, no systemic change.
5.3 - As above, but with more minor tweaks, possibly a significant one or two. Minor and limited structural change, no systemic change.
5.4 - As above, but more significant adjustments. Definite structural changes, possibly very limited and minor systemic change. A minor revised version.
5.5 - As above, with structural changes and some systemic revision, but still recognizable as 5th edition. A true revised version (e.g. 3.5 to 3.0).
6E - A new edition of the game, with significant systemic changes to whatever degree.

By "structural" I mean individual components with the game system, such as a class or sub-system. By "systemic" I mean something that has wide effect, or a major sub-system that effects the entire game (e.g. feats, skills, how spell-casting works, etc).

As always, pick the option that you think best fits your prediction. The emphasis should be on what you think will happen, not what you want to happen or think should happen. Discuss that in the comments. I've also added the option to make two choices, in case you're on the fence. For example, maybe you think it will be Nothing or 5.1 at most, or maybe you're all or nothing and think it will be Nothing or 6E.

The one caveat is that it seems clear that no matter what they do, they definitely won't call it "5.x" and probably wouldn't even call it "6E," even on the off chance that they went that route. So the point being, you're not voting for the name--these are just placeholders--but the underlying degree of change that they represent.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Structural but not systemic.

They'll incorporate the revisions to the Variant Class Features UA, maybe include a few more "best-of" archetypes from Xanathar's, include all the latest errata, and give the books a sweet new special cover that's different from the holiday 2018 covers so I'll have to buy them all over again.

Oh, and Aasimar & Eladrin in DMG will be changed to their VGM and MOT incarnations.

I'd LOVE for them to include Goblinoids and Orcs in the PHB as those are extremely popular races that show up in pretty much every game as an antagonist race, but I doubt they'll do so. If they did, I would expect the E:RLW/EGW stats for Orcs to show up, as opposed to the VGM version with racial penalties.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
No new rulebooks for 5e, at least not specifically tied to the 50th anniversary. They'll do whatever they're gonna do at whatever time they're gonna do it, but I don't think the anniversary will play too heavily in their thinking.

But it wouldn't surprise me were they to re-release OD&D (1974) in some sort of anniversary packaging.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
No new rulebooks for 5e, at least not specifically tied to the 50th anniversary. They'll do whatever they're gonna do at whatever time they're gonna do it, but I don't think the anniversary will play too heavily in their thinking.

But it wouldn't surprise me were they to re-release OD&D (1974) in some sort of anniversary packaging.
I missed out on the 40th Anniversary box set of OD&D (I have the special editions of the 1st and 2nd edition AD&D books released subsequently). Can't find it anywhere (I guess people who got it are holding onto dear life). I would love it if that box set was re-released for those of us who missed it the first time.

Raith5

Adventurer
I will be ready for something new in 4 years. Either a 5.5 or 6E.

I would like it to be close to 5e but I think I would like to see a few 5e game elements re thought (especially feats) and high level play more well thought out.

ccs

41st lv DM
I've been predicting 6e in 2024 for several years now in various threads. So that's what I voted for.

I do not agree with the rest of the polls description of 6e. It won't be a major departure from 5e. It'll make some tweaks/improvements & it'll generally encourage you to go 6e, but all of your 5e stuff will be compatible with it.
So why not just call it 5.5e? Because that's stupid sounding. It was stupid when they did it back in 3e/3.5 & it'd be at least as stupid in 2024.

Horwath

Legend
Basically 5e exactly as is, except they'll retrofit it to use THAC0.
jiFfM.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases