D&D 5E Hypothetical 50th Anniversary Core Rulebooks

What will we see for core rulebooks for the 50th anniversary?

• Nothing - no new core rulebooks of any kind.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • 5.1 - almost entirely cosmetic, maybe with a few minor tweaks.

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • 5.2 - as above, but more tweaks and some new options.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • 5.3 - as above but more, and possibly a major adjustment or two.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • 5.4 - as above but with more significant and noticeable revision.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 5.5 - as above but with significant revision, some of it systemic.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 6E - a new edition of the game with major revision and possibly significant departure from 5E.

Votes: 6 7.5%

My suggestion is a reprint-remake of the older editions, with the same pictures.

I regret me not haven't bought the 2nd Ed in the 90's.

Who would buy a "vintage" edition? Wait a "product emplacement" in Netflix or Disney+.

If you publish a 1.5. then lot of players will would rather to await and they will not buy the 1.0.

I'd love for them to reissue the special covers at that time so I can get them for a reasonable price.
I'd like 5.2, mostly errata corrections or updates that got incorporated to later rules. Class and Monsters updated to more recent design philosophies.

Mercurius

Legend
As I said in the OP, I don't think they'd call any new revision or even a new edition anything but "D&D." But if they do come out with even microscopically altered core rulebooks, we'll be arguing to no end whether it is "5.1" or "5.2" or--the gods save us--"5.05."

I can't wait ;)

Mercurius

Legend
Through 45 votes, the average is 5.13. If the ENWorld hivemind is right, we'll see something slightly more than 5.1, but closer to that than 5.2.

Undrave

Legend
What I'd want is basically just a PHB with new Subclasses thrown in that pay lip service to classic class names from D&D's past as well as reprinting some fan favorite spells from Elemental Evil and SCAG, maybe tweaking the Feats line up a bit (finally giving us a Fighting Style granting feat). They could say a lot of room by not giving the Wizard EIGHT FRIGGIN' subclasses. Few ideas I had:

Barbarian:
  • Replace Totem Barbarian with the Warden who has transformative rages with various effects and some Druid utility for out of combat stuff
  • New take on a simple Barbarian to replace the Berzerker with a new name
  • Possible Psionic Barbarian (contageous rage aura) if including Psionic classes

Bard:
  • Keep College of Lore
  • Replace College of Valor with something else (College of Sword Reprint? Skald?)

Cleric:
  • Keep Light, Nature and War Domain
  • Replace Tempest with a Sea Domain
  • Replace Trickery with Shadow or Moon Domain
  • Add another odd ball domain that's never been covered

Druid:
  • Replace Circle of Land with another spellcastery Circle
  • Keep Circle of the Moon
  • Add a Circle that trades Wild Shape uses for a summoned creature like the Wildfire one

Fighter:
  • Reprint Cavalier to replace Battlemaster, or introduce a new 'Sentinel' subclass with marking mechanics
  • Replace Champion with a simple Weapons Master who gets different passive bonuses depending on weapons property he uses
  • Keep Eldritch Knight unless you include Psionic and thus replace it with Psi Knight

Monk:
  • Acrobat Monk instead of Way of Shadows
  • Replacement Magic Monk for Way of the Four Elements (Sun Soul Reprint?)
  • Keep Open Hands

Paladin:
  • Keep Oath of Protection
  • I don't know what else would need to stay or change

Ranger:
  • Includes the alt-class feature, keep the Hunter
  • New take on Beastmaster with a different name using the Beast of Land and Beast of Sky concepts

Rogue:
  • Keep the Thief
  • Replace Assasin with like... Shadow Dancer or something shadowy
  • Keep Arcane Trickster unless Psionic is included, and thus the Soul Knife is there (though I guess Soul Knife could replace Assassin)

Sorcerer:
  • I'd give the explicit option to use CON as a casting stat...
  • Replace Wild Magic with a better 'randomized' soul...
  • Keep the Dragon soul but with more support in the Spell List for the other elemental damages
  • Psionic Soul added

Warlock:
  • Include Pact of the Talisman
  • Keep Fiend and Fey patrons
  • Return Star Pact instead of GOO

Wizard:
  • Keep Illusionist
  • Put in a completed Scribe
  • Combat minded generalist with Implement masteries
  • Beguiler? Or is that more Bard?
  • Cut the others

That's just random naughty word I'm spitballing of course.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
As I said in the OP, I don't think they'd call any new revision or even a new edition anything but "D&D." But if they do come out with even microscopically altered core rulebooks, we'll be arguing to no end whether it is "5.1" or "5.2" or--the gods save us--"5.05."

I can't wait ;)

To be clear, I just don't think the "5.1" option is really justified in being called anything more than 5.0. That's really just an edit, not any rules changes in any way, and is like how the core rulebooks have been edited with their indexes.

Honestly I don't expect any changes in the core books for the 50th. Maybe a new variant cover, but more likely they'll take some very classic adventure module and reprint it for 5E, like Castle Greyhawk itself (the original, not the abomination).

Mercurius

Legend
To be clear, I just don't think the "5.1" option is really justified in being called anything more than 5.0. That's really just an edit, not any rules changes in any way, and is like how the core rulebooks have been edited with their indexes.

Honestly I don't expect any changes in the core books for the 50th. Maybe a new variant cover, but more likely they'll take some very classic adventure module and reprint it for 5E, like Castle Greyhawk itself (the original, not the abomination).

I don't think WotC will call it anything but D&D, possibly with a "50th Anniversary" stamp or sticker. But we diehard fans? There will be discussion and debate.

But yeah, it could just be cosmetic changes (art, logo), a foreword of some kind, and the usual errata, none of which would justify it being 5.1. 5.1 might be added stuff, but no rules tweaks. 5.2 would be some kind of structural changes , albeit very minor (e.g. tweaked monster stats, revised classes, etc). I could see anything within that range.

A reedition with fixed errata is possible, but a 5.1 Ed could cause a littler equivalent of the edition wars. I suggest a reprint of older editions, or the 5th Ed with the layout of the old editions, like a retro or vintage version.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases