D&D 5E Hypothetical 50th Anniversary Core Rulebooks

What will we see for core rulebooks for the 50th anniversary?

• Nothing - no new core rulebooks of any kind.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • 5.1 - almost entirely cosmetic, maybe with a few minor tweaks.

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • 5.2 - as above, but more tweaks and some new options.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • 5.3 - as above but more, and possibly a major adjustment or two.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • 5.4 - as above but with more significant and noticeable revision.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 5.5 - as above but with significant revision, some of it systemic.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 6E - a new edition of the game with major revision and possibly significant departure from 5E.

Votes: 6 7.5%

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Structural but not systemic.

They'll incorporate the revisions to the Variant Class Features UA, maybe include a few more "best-of" archetypes from Xanathar's, include all the latest errata, and give the books a sweet new special cover that's different from the holiday 2018 covers so I'll have to buy them all over again.

Oh, and Aasimar & Eladrin in DMG will be changed to their VGM and MOT incarnations.

I'd LOVE for them to include Goblinoids and Orcs in the PHB as those are extremely popular races that show up in pretty much every game as an antagonist race, but I doubt they'll do so. If they did, I would expect the E:RLW/EGW stats for Orcs to show up, as opposed to the VGM version with racial penalties.
I could easily see that, maybe with goblinoids and orc PC races appearing in the monster manual.

Li Shenron

Legend
I think they won't wait until 2024 if they want to do a revision/half-edition. Instead, I expect some "premium" version of whatever core books will be the current ones at that time. Probably a box with the 3 core books in alternate covers, and some extra such as dice, a poster map, deluxe character sheets, and some collector's bonus price tag.

atanakar

Hero
I don't agree that it will be a 5e product for the 50th anniversary. Making 6e would spoil the mystery since they would have to announce it two years in advance. I voted no new books.

Certainty : A limited edition gold set of polyhedral dice. A 50th pencil distributed in flgs. An Adventure League Special 50th Adventure.

Lem23

Adventurer
Why would they have to announce a new version 2 years in advance? There's absolutely nothign to stop them suddenly announcing a new version and putting it out for immediate sale, other than that it would probably get leaked.

Why would they have to announce a new version 2 years in advance? There's absolutely nothign to stop them suddenly announcing a new version and putting it out for immediate sale, other than that it would probably get leaked.

From a marketing standpoint, there is no benefit in a surprise edition drop. It would be a massive slap in the face to the existing customer base and would do massive damage to the brand.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I'd like to see a PHB as a minor, backward compatible revision that pulls in some of the better ideas from Xanathar's and the like. For the Monster Manual and DMG, I'm open to more substantial revision, as these are toolkits for adventure building and can always be improved.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There's absolutely nothign to stop them ...

Don't think about what might stop them. Think instead about what aspects of doing so would end up being bad for them.

As an example - doing that means that on Day 1 no VTT software would have adaptations ready to go - which means sales to those who play online will be poor.

OB1

Jedi Master
I voted 5.3 though I think it's closer to 5.2. Nothing printed in the 50th ani edition will contradict anything that has come before. Something like the below I think could work, as it wouldn't make purchase of the set mandatory for those who have older books, but would make a more robust Core 3 for new players and DMs.

PHB - Addition of select classes, subclasses, races and spells from other printed sources, but nothing removed and nothing brand new
MM - Addition of more robust humanoid section, possibly another dragon type, possibly additional monster variant sidebars
DMG - Addition of variant rules for Classes (like the UA), addition of something akin to the Heroic Chronicle from EGtW, addition of variant rules for social/exploration pillars

WotC has learnt the feedback is too important.

A sourcebook about optional rules as Unearthed Arcana is possible.

* Other option could be a no-corebook, crunch but not core bases but updated version of older base classes (without special game mechanic): jester, factotum...

Remove ads