I Am For The Darkmaster, Actually

In my misspent gaming youth, there was a game that the other members of my gaming group spoke of in strange, hushed tones. A game where you rolled on chart after chart after chart during battles. Where critical hits were described in gory, R-rated detail. Where character creation took hours and characters could die in seconds. This game was called Rolemaster. Whether or not Rolemaster lived...

slide01_famed_desktop-2048x1320.jpg

In my misspent gaming youth, there was a game that the other members of my gaming group spoke of in strange, hushed tones. A game where you rolled on chart after chart after chart during battles. Where critical hits were described in gory, R-rated detail. Where character creation took hours and characters could die in seconds. This game was called Rolemaster.

Whether or not Rolemaster lived up to the hype of those 8th grade memories, I can’t say. But I can talk about Against The Darkmaster, an OSR-style revamping of the rules from lead designer Massimiliano Carachristi. It may seem weird playing a product that’s built on nostalgia for a game that I’ve never played, but good OSR designs stand on their own without the need for nostalgia to carry them. Nostalgia, at best, is meant to flavor a design and smooth over a rough patch or two. How does this game fare without me fondly remembering the charts of my youth? Let’s look at the copy provided by Open Ended Games.

The book is a 570+ page tome with a full-color cover and crisp black and white line drawings in the interior. Art director Tomasso Galmacci is also listed as one of the interior artists and he nails the classic look of an 80’s rulebook. The work here reminds me of the sharp art in Forbidden Lands with some great full page pieces breaking up the chapters. Layout is kept to a simple two columns with scroll-like sidebars breaking in the text. It’s here where Against The Darkmaster starts to tip its hand that it’s not going to be a simple reprint of Rolemaster. Many of the sidebars scattered through the text offer rules hacks and tweaks with ideas that modernize the rules. I love it when designers offer these options in a rulebook.

The system starts out simple enough. Roll percentile dice, add them to a skill percentage and if they get 100 or over, the character succeeds. Roll over 175, and that’s a critical success. The success chart also suggests other modern elements, such as a success with a cost for a roll between 75-99 or a critical failure of 5 or below. Players can climb these heights (or fall into the mathematical pits of despair) because the percentile rolls are open ended. 95 or higher means the players roll again and add, while 05 or lower means the players roll again and subtract.

Combat and magic are where the charts start to truly make their appearance. Combat rounds are structured so that magic and ranged attacks sandwich melee action in a round. That allows for some weapon strategy too, as the longer the melee weapon is, the earlier it goes during the melee section. Instead of the base 100 target number weapons are rolled on a chart determined by their type of damage with each of the four armor types on the chart. If the roll is high enough, a second roll occurs on a critical hit chart also determined by the type of weapon. That’s where a short description of a nasty injury lives, along with some long term effects of the injury like a torn tendon or bleeding hit points each round. It also helps in the modern era for those with the PDF to print out any relevant charts and have them handy for each player’s damage.

Magic’s complexity comes in its versatility. The majority of the classes come with some level of inborn magic talent, with any classes having access to spell knowledge by trading in skill levels on a two for one basis. Multiple rolls for a single action slow down game play, but it doesn’t do so much more than separately rolling to hit and damage. There are magic points and modifier charts, but the real cost of magic is that if a magic user does too well, they run the risk of revealing the heroes to the Darkmaster and getting some supernatural goons sent to take out the good guys.

The Darkmaster is the main villain of the campaign created by the GM as a stand-in for them in the world. Rolemaster was related to Middle-Earth Role Playing and this element offers a chance to let the Game Master let their inner Sauron fly by taunting the PCs or sending some monsters to attack the party. It’s a fun riff on the wandering monsters concept and for those who might not have a fantasy villain in mind at the start of a campaign, the book offers a few charts for inspiration, as well as some sample villains and minions lavishly illustrated in some of my favorite art in the book. Creating a Darkmaster feels like a middle ground between the antagonistic play of early RPGs and the collaborative play of modern designs.

The Darkmaster creation is of the modern ideas incorporated into character creation, such as drives that come off as aspect-like ideas that encourage players to get into trouble to score advancement points. Players also get background elements that work a little like feats while also tying into drives and shared world creation. A character that has an Assassin training background is encouraged to make their relationship with their guild as a drive and the GM is encouraged to build the details of that guild together. While Against The Darkmaster is built by a team that loves the original game, it plays like the version of the game I would run: keep the stuff I like, add in stuff that fits my style.

If I wanted to run a game that felt like the weird, dark 80s fantasy of things like Dragonslayer or Willow, this is the game I would use. It’s heavier than my usual fantasy RPG choices, but sometimes you just have to play a game where you high five everyone at the table when you deliver a gnarly blow to the kneecap of the vampire king the Darkmaster sent to kill you.

Rob Wieland

Rob Wieland

aramis erak

Legend
The system is actually far closer to MERP (Middle Earth Role Play) than Rolemaster, and the name is a clear reference to that lineage. (Darkmaster is a reference to Sauron.)

Given in the review you mention unfamiliarity with Rolemaster, and presumably that extends to MERP... Your list of innovations isn't. It's a list of the changes from RM to MERP. The look is stolen liberally from MERP.
Essentially, this is MERP 3.0, (There were 2 editions of MERP by ICE, who also made RM.)

Last edited:

Hurin70

Adventurer
It is a fun article, but in addition to the points Aramis makes (that it seems more related to MERP than Rolemaster), I would make the following:

--The article says there once was a game called Rolemaster... in fact there still is. The newest edition (Rolemaster Unified) is set to come out this year. The core books have gone to art and layout, and you can still download and play the beta by signing in to the Iron Crown Enterprises website's forums, here: Official ICE Forums - Index . You can also still play older editions on Fantasy Grounds and Roll20, and the ICE team are working towards providing support for RMU on these platforms as well.

--Rolemaster was indeed 'related to Middle Earth Role Playing', but Rolemaster came first (originally as an add-on to D&D to make combat grittier). The ICE folks then got the Tolkien license, and created MERP as a kind of Rolemaster lite.

--The wording of the article might suggest that Carachristi was a designer of Rolemaster; I would just like to point out that he is just the lead designer of Darkmaster, and has never had anything to do with Rolemaster. [This might be clarified by just putting 'of Darkmaster' after 'lead designer' in the second sentence of the second paragraph].

--In Rolemaster at least, the skill bonus is not a 'skill percentage'. You can have over 100 as a skill bonus. It is just that the system is a d100 rather than a d20 system.

--The new edition of Rolemaster (RMU) is working towards eliminating at least some of the charts from previous editions of Rolemaster, to make the game faster and easier to play. The new edition for example does not require you to use a movement chart, or a maneuver chart, or a spell attack chart (aside from elemental attacks spells such as Firebolt), for example. And of course we now live in an electronic age, when computers can easily do the work of looking up an attack on a chart and applying the results -- Rolemaster has its own suite of tools (the Electronic Roleplaying Assistant, available on DriveThru) for handling that sort of thing. So if you were hesitant to play Rolemaster because of its reputation as 'Chartmaster', the new edition should be worth a look.

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
I never played Rolemaster personally, but I've read through the books and our gaming group has all joked about the critical hit/fumble tables for decades. We still talk about rolling a 1 and tripping over an invisible, imaginary, deceased turtle.

Right now I'm exhausted. Just finished our Saturday D&D game we started 6 hours ago, and the last 2 were fighting against a green dragon on a small island in an underground lake, with half of our party unconscious most of the fight. We just barely slew all of the dragon's servitor monsters, drove it to retreat to its underwater lair, and escaped ourselves. Looking forward to our Sunday game tomorrow!

Banesfinger

Explorer
Thanks for the review, really happy you enjoyed our game!

And if anyone has questions or doubts about Against the Darkmaster, I'll do my best to answer them! ;)
Hi Topramesk,
Love the game and the direction you've went with the rules.
About the only criticism our group had was that Crit tables will often put PCs/Foes into 'stun lock'. There is nothing fun about being able to do nothing but parry round after round.
Do you have a suggestion on how to replace that? We've thought about a 'knock down' or every monster having a specific replacement (e.g. spider has web immobilize on that result).

The system is actually far closer to MERP (Middle Earth Role Play) than Rolemaster, and the name is a clear reference to that lineage. (Darkmaster is a reference to Sauron.)

Given in the review you mention unfamiliarity with Rolemaster, and presumably that extends to MERP... Your list of innovations isn't. It's a list of the changes from RM to MERP. The look is stolen liberally from MERP.
Essentially, this is MERP 3.0, (There were 2 editions of MERP by ICE, who also made RM.)
Interestingly this is a huge endorsement for the game for my group. We had some fun with MERP, but RM was just tedious as hell to us. I'm a little terrified by how many rules I might need to deal with in a 570-page book but still, better MERP than RM by miles.

Topramesk

Explorer
About the only criticism our group had was that Crit tables will often put PCs/Foes into 'stun lock'. There is nothing fun about being able to do nothing but parry round after round.

Remember that Stun only lasts one round, unless you're stunned again meanwhile. The best thing to do when stunned, is to go full defense, attempt to disengage, and re-engage the enemy when you're not stunned anymore. Meanwhile your companions should try to step in to avoid letting your foe corner you.
Heavier armors, shields, and parrying all help preventing Stun to a degree, but if you keep getting "stunlocked" it may be the sign your foe is out of your league.
Don't know about substituting it, both the Prone and Held conditions are actually worse than Stun, so I fear that by changing the results to those you may be making some foes more dangerous!

Interestingly this is a huge endorsement for the game for my group. We had some fun with MERP, but RM was just tedious as hell to us. I'm a little terrified by how many rules I might need to deal with in a 570-page book but still, better MERP than RM by miles.

Well, keep in mind that the book includes spells, monsters, and an adventure, so it's not all rules! :LOL:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads