D&D General I am so done with kickstarter

plisnithus8

Adventurer
The most frustrating thing I have found, except for being outright scammed, is that I have found a few items I have Kickstartered and awaiting deliver timetables yet the same exact item was currently available on Amazon for cheaper and with next day delivery.

Reynard

Legend
The most frustrating thing I have found, except for being outright scammed, is that I have found a few items I have Kickstartered and awaiting deliver timetables yet the same exact item was currently available on Amazon for cheaper and with next day delivery.
I don't back enough KS to know, but is this common? I know it feels strange to back, say, Bladerunner, knowing that book is going to 100% be available in stores.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The best part of being a GenXer is that when I was young and stupid, we did not have portable film studios in our pockets to document it, and did not have massive social networks over which to share it.
The only downside is having few photographs of myself when I was young and beautiful! :LOL:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I’ve never once had that happen, and this is the first I’ve ever even heard of it happening. I’d love to see some documentation on that.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
As a definitively small-press indie RPG designer I find kickstarter invaluable - I use it when the game is ready, but want to raise money for editing and art. To date I’ve hit three out of three delivery targets and I’m pleased with that. It can be tricky when a third party you are expecting to do work for you suddenly bails - I’ve only had that once, for one out of four artists (it’s as if the dropped off the face of the earth). Luckily I was able to come up with a plan B which was good enough. Finding reliable people who you can trust to schedule the work you commission from them is really important.

I hope that it continues to be a viable avenue for small-press designers to get their games out there for many years to come.

The younglings hate Amazon. But I love Amazon. Because whatever I order, it arrives tomorrow.

Kickstarter seemed like a cool way to support creators.

But it doesn't seem cool any more, with their cash grab towards blockchain so the world can be destroyed faster by climate change.

But what really bothers me, is how long you have to wait for kickstarter products to arrive.

It is almost a year ago when I backed Dungeons of Drakkenheim, still no sign, no idea if it will even come this year.

I have no interest in it now.

1652096578517-png.156887
The attraction of Crowdfunding is that developers aren't beholden to investors; only to people who're actually buying the product they want to make. And the fact that it also serves as its own marketing; if nobody wants to back your project then you don't have to waste your time actually creating a product that isn't going to sell. You just need to come in with a pitch and then ask people to pay you to do the work.

Some companies, especially ones who're new to KickStarter, over promise; especially when it comes to stretch goals. They often don't really taking into account how much the extras will cost in the hopes of that extra cash grab, or the amount of time they could add to their estimates. (Stretch goals will only get the backer so far for promoting a product anyway, since not all of them will even be applicable to the reward tier you've gone for, so it may not be the incentive).

In the case of less experienced companies you can usually add 50% to the estimated delivery date.

I don't know if this is the case with the project you backed (I don't particularly like the 'dungeon dudes' so I wasn't really interested their project) but don't forget; there's been a global health crisis that has delayed work on most projects, not to mention the fact that international shipping companies are still dealing with the back up from when the Suez Canel was blocked by the Evergreen.

Even the more experienced companies have had huge delays on their projects.

People hate Amazon because they pay people slave wages to work in terrible conditions while bending over backwards for your next day delivery, and because these shady practices are running smaller businesses who treat their staff more fairly out of the game.
You hate kickstarter for accepting of a form of currency you don't even have to use (and seems to be at the end of its lifespan anyway) and because of delays nobody could have predicted in creating a product from scratch, writing, proofing, editing it, illustrating, printing, delivering (internationally), and trying to do this with a budget they may not be able to increase from their original campaign without giving up something in return to an investor or some such.

There’s pretty much no reason to back any Kickstarter for PDFs unless you backing it will be the difference to it getting funded and made. Nearly all of them become available for cheaper shortly after the PDFs are delivered to backers.

Print from large publishers also usually similarly pointless. What is a good back is for print from small publishers where the Kickstarter run is offset printed and better than the POD you can get later or where print will never be available again.

Giving more money to a publisher than you really need to is fine if you like them, but if you watch these things, you start to see that kickstarters are a bad bargain most times.

Remove ads