D&D 5E I can haz WILD MAGE and the first DRAGONBORN art?

TheBlueKnight

Explorer
I think I've seen that art somewhere before...I'll look around.

I knew I had as well SkidAce. I think I had found it when googling for "Dragonborn Sorcerer" a few months ago. I am playing one in Encounters at the moment.

A google image search of wizards.com shows this:

From Dragon #388
Dragonfear: Bloodlines of Arkhosia

It appears to be from at least 2010 and painted by Tyler Jacobson (who did the 5E PHB & DMG covers) and here's what it looks like:

Dragonborn 2.jpg

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I knew I had as well SkidAce. I think I had found it when googling for "Dragonborn Sorcerer" a few months ago. I am playing one in Encounters at the moment.
It appears to be from at least 2010 and painted by Tyler Jacobson (who did the 5E PHB & DMG covers) and here's what it looks like:
Are we sure that's not a paladin? Because he has holy hands.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

A google image search of wizards.com shows this:

From Dragon #388
Dragonfear: Bloodlines of Arkhosia

Thanks..I think I saw it while googling also...needed a carnifex mage.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Looking again at the pic, it looks like the top left portion is part of a different caster type. Maybe dragonmage? . . .

That's my guess: we had already been told that there would be two different flavors of Sorcerer in the 5E PHB: the "Draconic Bloodline" and the "Wild Magic" sorcerers. Alphabetically, D before W: so I think the top left portion of the page is the ending of the "Draconic Bloodline" sorcerer. I also think (and have posted so earlier in this thread), that the inclusion of the draconic/dragonborn image on this page is to illustrate that alphabetically earlier subclass.

mips42

Adventurer
That's my guess: we had already been told that there would be two different flavors of Sorcerer in the 5E PHB: the "Draconic Bloodline" and the "Wild Magic" sorcerers. Alphabetically, D before W: so I think the top left portion of the page is the ending of the "Draconic Bloodline" sorcerer. I also think (and have posted so earlier in this thread), that the inclusion of the draconic/dragonborn image on this page is to illustrate that alphabetically earlier subclass.
Hurrrrmmmm... I don't quite know how I feel about a Draconic bloodline sorcerer morphing into a dragon-like being.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Technically, the image on the Wild Magic Sorcerer page could be both a Dragonborn (race) and a Sorcerer (class), who has the Draconic Bloodline subclass.

I think that is just the way I want to interpret it now. "Phooey on thinking too hard about this stuff!"

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I think the wild mage is alot of fun, and I'm glad to see it in the new edition. However, I don't think a 1st level character should be able to accidentally set off 3rd level spells. Most of the effects on the wild surge table are just as significant at 20th level as at 1st. However, the wild surge table doesn't give any regard to the level of the character for damaging effects, and I think that's a problem. A 3rd level fireball (avg. 28 damage) is an almost guaranteed party wipe at 1st level, but nothing but a minor annoyance at 20th level. I think it would have been better if the damaging wild surge effects varied in power based on the wild mage's level.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think from a verisimilitude perspective (a word I don't like to begin with), it's the opposite. I think it's the DM and players having risk-aversion issues and issues with more-certainty in their games, rather than the nature of typical adventuring characters. Characters have a lot more risk-acceptance by their nature as adventurers. The idea that any of them would balk at a minuscule risk like 0.1% breaks verisimilitude for me - they wouldn't blink twice about a risk like that. There is more risk than that in crossing the street in their world.

And it comes up so infrequently that I don't think it draws attention to one player or takes too long.
Absolutely agreed.

My question is one of whether the RAW will allow a Wild Mage to *intentionally* generate a WMS if she wants to.

Also, any interrupted spell from any caster should trigger at least the chance of a WMS, ditto when a magic item breaks or any other time magical energy is released in a way it's not supposed to be.

Lan-"one of my players had what amounted to a wild wizard who figured out how to intentionally WMS; the only problem was the self-inflicted death of the character during this process"-efan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For the mods

Moderators, if there's a guide to acronyms anywhere you might want to add WMS = Wild Magic Surge, as it's going to come up a lot by the looks of it. :)

Lanefan

Remove ads